Cucurbitaceae ID from Hooghly 11-7-12 SK

surajit koley

Jul 11, 2012, 2:10:17 PM7/11/12
to efloraofindia
Sir / Madam,

Today one of my colleagues collected this plant from roadside. This is a wild climber and the ripe fruits are yellow, unlike the red Trchosanthes tricuspidata.

Species : UNKNOWN
Habit & Habitat : wild climber, roadside, scabrid, leaf surfaces rough
Date : 11/7/12
Place : Hooghly

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

un_cucurbita_DSCN6948.jpg
un_cucurbita_DSCN6952.jpg
un_cucurbita_DSCN6956.jpg
un_cucurbita_DSCN6958.jpg
un_cucurbita_DSCN6959.jpg
un_cucurbita_DSCN6962.jpg
un_cucurbita_DSCN6964.jpg
un_cucurbita_DSCN6965.jpg
un_cucurbita_DSCN6967.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 11, 2012, 10:12:44 PM7/11/12
to surajit koley, efloraofindia

surajit koley

Jul 12, 2012, 3:31:09 PM7/12/12
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Sir,

Thank you for the links of two closely related varieties of Cucumis melo.

I think my species is same as the one posted by Nidhan Sir at - https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/indiantreepix/cucurbitaceae$20week/indiantreepix/qjDROD1QMgk/QJePGG-d-qUJ and by you at - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/indiantreepix/Cucumis$20melo/indiantreepix/ihPLuP1Csco/PtyDS56I4J8J. I think the lobes of the leaf blade can vary according to age of the plant, the maturity of the shoot and the maturity of the leaves. I attach here three more images and the variation in leaf blades can be seen in the first two images.

As i searched the net i found -
  1. Cucumis pubescens Wall. ex Wight & Arn. = Cucumis trigonus Roxb. = Cucumis callosus (Roettler) Cogn. = at (Plants of Nepal) http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=110&taxon_id=242315808
  2. Cucumis callosus (Roettler) Cogn. = Cucumis melo subsp. agrestis var. agrestis Naudin, Ann. = at (Flora of Pakistan) - http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=250077277
  3. The above site also describes, "Perennial forms have been sometimes treated as a distinct species, Cucumis trigonus Roxb. The status of these taxa needs elucidation by comparative studies in the field"
  4. Citation form Bengal for Cucumis melo var. pubescens - http://www.floraofalabama.org/Plant.aspx?id=1664
So, it is likely to be Cucumis pubescens Willd. as have been suggested by you.

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

Jul 12, 2012, 3:34:28 PM7/12/12
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Sorry Sir, forgot to attach the new images, here they are.

Regards,

surajit

01_DSCN6954.jpg
02_DSCN6966.jpg