Flora of Chakrata 2013:: Mucuna pruriens for validation

Nidhan Singh

Sep 5, 2013, 12:13:40 PM9/5/13
to indiantreepix
Dear All,

This straggling plant was shot from near Tinuni where this was in abundance, flowers deep purple, in dense, pendulous clusters..fruits very densely hairy (though could not capture)..
Wanted to be sure if this is Mucuna pruriens (L.) DC.  Please suggest..

--
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Assistant Professor
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227
Mucuna pruriens (1).JPG
Mucuna pruriens (2).JPG
Mucuna pruriens (4).JPG
Mucuna pruriens (5).JPG
Mucuna pruriens (6).JPG
Mucuna pruriens (7).JPG

Prashant Awale

Sep 5, 2013, 12:18:41 PM9/5/13
to Nidhan Singh, indiantreepix
Superb photographs.
Regards
Prashant

D.S Rawat

Sep 6, 2013, 12:12:57 AM9/6/13
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Please also check with Mucuna nigricans.
DSRawat Pantnagar

Nidhan Singh

Sep 6, 2013, 1:08:18 AM9/6/13
to D.S Rawat, indiantreepix
Thanks Rawat Ji for this suggestion..will try to explore further...

radha...@gmail.com

Sep 6, 2013, 3:34:13 AM9/6/13
to indian...@googlegroups.com, D.S Rawat

I checked my images of Mucuna pruriens and the flowers were in looser clusters than these.

regards
Radha

Nidhan Singh

Sep 6, 2013, 8:32:15 PM9/6/13
to radha veach, indiantreepix, D.S Rawat
Thanks Radha Ji for further confirming, may I request to share your pics of M. pruriens...
Now I am inclined to place my plant as M. nigricans as suggested by Rawat Ji..

Mahadeswara

Sep 8, 2013, 9:05:36 AM9/8/13
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Great pictures.

J.M. Garg

Sep 18, 2013, 1:17:00 AM9/18/13
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Tabish Qureshi, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, amit chauhan, meenakshi prajneshu, abesh sanyal, Balkar Singh, Nidhan Singh, Sundaresan Velusamy, mandeep kaur, Dr Umeshkumar Tiwari, Prashant awale, Suniti Datta, D.S Rawat, ashishm...@gmail.com, pandeyh...@gmail.com, Dinesh Valke, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Kishanlal

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Please also check with Mucuna nigricans.
DSRawat Pantnagar

I checked my images of Mucuna pruriens and the flowers were in looser clusters than these.
regards
Radha

Thanks Radha Ji for further confirming, may I request to share your pics of M. pruriens...
Now I am inclined to place my plant as M. nigricans as suggested by Rawat Ji..

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world): http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 2165 members & 1,64,000 messages on 31/8/13) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 8500 species & 1,70, 000 images).
Mucuna pruriens (1).JPG
Mucuna pruriens (2).JPG
Mucuna pruriens (4).JPG
Mucuna pruriens (5).JPG
Mucuna pruriens (6).JPG
Mucuna pruriens (7).JPG

Nidhan Singh

Sep 18, 2013, 2:38:42 AM9/18/13
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Tabish Qureshi, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, amit chauhan, meenakshi prajneshu, abesh sanyal, Balkar Singh, Sundaresan Velusamy, mandeep kaur, Dr Umeshkumar Tiwari, Prashant awale, Suniti Datta, D.S Rawat, Ashish K. Mishra, Himani Pandey, Dinesh Valke, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Kishanlal
Thanks Garg Ji...
After Rawat Ji shared his images, I am convinced that this plant is not Mucuna pruriens...rather this is Mucuna nigricans...

D.S Rawat

Sep 18, 2013, 2:57:32 AM9/18/13
to Nidhan Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Tabish Qureshi, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, amit chauhan, meenakshi prajneshu, abesh sanyal, Balkar Singh, Sundaresan Velusamy, mandeep kaur, Dr Umeshkumar Tiwari, Prashant awale, Suniti Datta, Ashish K. Mishra, Himani Pandey, Dinesh Valke, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Kishanlal
Key to Mucuna species as provided by J.F.Duthie in Flora of the Upper Gangetic Plains (1929) and modified as per Sanjappa (1992) :

A. Woody climbers, with faces of pods obliquely plaited
     B'. Sutures of pods not winged ......................................................M.atropurpurea
A'. Annuals, with valves of pods not obliquely plaited
     C. Flowers in racemes, pods densely bristly ..................................M.pruriens var. pruriens
     C'. Flowers in corymbs; pods much longer, clothed with short deciduous bristles.....M.pruriens var utilis

The species in consideration here is clearly M.nigricans.
DSRawat Pantnagar