PLANT FOR ID 30 SMP 25JAN2009

satish phadke

Jan 29, 2009, 9:50:29 AM1/29/09
to indiantreepix Indian, wildflowerindia
Again a tree in fruiting phase. White thick milky juice oozed out on cutting a branch.
Satish

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com
PlantDSCN0055.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Jan 29, 2009, 9:56:25 AM1/29/09
to satish phadke, indiantreepix Indian, wildflowerindia
... not yet familiar with the fruits ... but would this be again Sapium insigne ?
Regards.

Kenneth Greby

Jan 29, 2009, 10:14:30 AM1/29/09
to satish phadke, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix Indian, wildflowerindia
 I'm not familiar with this Sapium species, but the flowers and milky sap are consistent with some sort of Euphorbiaceae.

Regards--
Ken Greby
Broward County, Florida USA

J.M. Garg

Jan 29, 2009, 10:28:05 PM1/29/09
to fst...@yahoo.com, satish phadke, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix Indian
Here is a reply from Neil ji in a seperate mail (i.e. why connecting here for the benefit for everybody):
"Hi Satish,
  Both specimens are of Sapium insigne locally called Chicada. Had last year posted a few photographs of the same. Am sending them again.
  Was away birdwatching in the Greater Rann of Kutch.
                         Reagrds,
                           Neil. "

2009/1/29 Kenneth Greby <fst...@yahoo.com>

Sapium insigne 1.jpg
Sapium insigne 2.jpg
Sapium insigne, Chicada 3.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jan 29, 2009, 10:37:16 PM1/29/09
to fst...@yahoo.com, satish phadke, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix Indian
I am adding two attachments with the following details:
"On 16/3/08 at Jayanti, Duars, West Bengal. I saw this in leafless condition with these fruits/buds. It looked magnificent in its chandelier like look."
These were posted by me at that time- vaguely identified as Sapium insigne vide indiantreepix link: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/dadbff856c7c9070/85d775d57042a05f?lnk=gst&q=For+Id+050708JM2#85d775d57042a05f
Posting them again for final confirmation.

2009/1/30 J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com>
2009/1/29 Kenneth Greby <fst...@yahoo.com>

With regards,
J.M.Garg
"We often ignore the beauty around us"
Unided at Jayanti, Duars, West Bengal I2 Picture 042.jpg
Unided at Jayanti, Duars, West Bengal I3 Picture 042.jpg

Aparna Watve

Jan 30, 2009, 12:55:58 AM1/30/09
to J.M. Garg, fst...@yahoo.com, satish phadke, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix Indian

Very typical Sapium insigne- the leaf shape and gland on the back are characteristic( try to take a pic next time) alongwitht the general growing pattern of tree and milky latex (which is extremely poisonous BTW and reported to cause blindness)
--
Dr. Aparna Watve
34/6, Gulawani Maharaj Rd,

satish phadke

Jan 30, 2009, 1:19:43 AM1/30/09
to Aparna Watve, J.M. Garg, fst...@yahoo.com, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix Indian
Surprising and interesting!! Sapium insigne
PLANT FOR ID 30 SMP 25JAN2009 and PLANT FOR ID 30 SMP 25JAN2009
were at a distance of 15-20 feet in between.
One is completely in flowering phase and the other is completely in fruiting phase.Both trees were without any leaves.After cutting the small branch copious latex oosed out and as Aparna has informed it is very poisonous. Thanks for the info.
Satish

2009/1/30 Aparna Watve <aparna...@gmail.com>

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com

Swagat

Jan 30, 2009, 6:41:12 AM1/30/09
to satish phadke, Aparna Watve, J.M. Garg, fst...@yahoo.com, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix Indian
Hi all,

Sapium insigne... called 'उरा' or 'उरे' in मराठी.

Regards,
~Swagat