Fabaceae (Faboideae) Fortnight :: FOR GENUS ID - Desmodium / Uraria :: Tungareshwar WLS :: DVOCT128

Dinesh Valke

Oct 19, 2015, 11:56:04 PM10/19/15
to efloraofindia

Faboideae (Papilionaceae) Fortnight
pea family
¿ Desmodium / Uraria ?
Dear friends,
Erect herb, about 40 - 50 cm high, with trifoliate leaves (not sure of dimensions). Hopefully the photos help in getting ID to genus level. The dimensions of flowers are similar to that of Desmodium species (gangeticum / laxiflorum / triquetrum / etc).
at Tungareshwar Wildlife Sanctuary on October 24, 2010

¿ Desmodium / Uraria ?

¿ Desmodium / Uraria ?

¿ Desmodium / Uraria ?

¿ Desmodium / Uraria ?

¿ Desmodium / Uraria ?

¿ Desmodium / Uraria ?

¿ Desmodium / Uraria ?

¿ Desmodium / Uraria ?

¿ Desmodium / Uraria ?

¿ Desmodium / Uraria ?

¿ Desmodium / Uraria ?

Regards.
Dinesh

D.S Rawat

Oct 20, 2015, 5:39:22 AM10/20/15
to efloraofindia
To me it should be Uraria sp.
9th image show some green pods which are folded, a characteristic feature of Uraria.
Nowadays enjoying your beautiful images of legumes !
DSRawat Pantnagar

Samir Mehta

Oct 20, 2015, 9:25:05 AM10/20/15
to efloraofindia
Dinesh:
Rawat ji has given the correct lead.
This is Uraria rufescens in all probability.

Regards,

Samir Mehta

Dinesh Valke

Oct 20, 2015, 11:16:31 AM10/20/15
to Samir Mehta, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Rawat ji for leading me to the genus, thanks very much Samir for the seconding and for the most possible ID.
Regards.
Dinesh

Pardeshi S.

Oct 21, 2015, 3:03:15 AM10/21/15
to efloraofindia
Wow... Didn't thought of it being Uvaria...... So much to still learn and explore

Regards
Satish pardeshi

Samir Mehta

Oct 23, 2015, 5:13:12 AM10/23/15
to efloraofindia
Dinesh, what I like about this post (other than those beautiful flowers so well captured by you) is the fact that you do not accept the identity as U. rufescens.
You have raised the bar for the group in accepting id. Gone are the days when one said 'I think so' and another saying 'I also think so' and so it became 'so' and identity was confirmed and sealed - date and location not required either!
It also means the group still does not have a U. rufescens in it's impressive gallery (though there are a few posts with that subject line) showing 'key' features clearly.

Let me see what I can do to rectify this deficiency for the group.

Rgds,

Dinesh Valke

Oct 23, 2015, 8:00:50 AM10/23/15
to Samir Mehta, efloraofindia
Dear Samir, I am far from "accepting / not accepting". I can do so if I have any knowledge of this plant. I am not familiar with this plant so can only wait for it to be identified by any of those who know / recognize it. Photographs howsoever clear, beautiful .. are of little use if they lack some of the aspects needed for identification. Under such circumstances, those attempting to identify are driven to think OR guess in interest of resolving the ID. With their thoughts and guesses, people like me are benefited. Otherwise most of our queries would go into cold storage. It is quite charming to see how wild guesses and logical thinking leads to concluding ID. Even if any post gets sealed with a wrong ID, it is bound to arise sometime or other to get corrected. That is the goodness of the group.

The group is fortunate to have you and many others who like to dig. It helps immensely to set right any mistakes that have crept into archive. Best wishes for doing your bit to help the group.

There would come some day when our group's database will have descriptive keys accompanied by pictorial keys. That will make most of us who are merely photographing, understand and focus on the aspects required to differentiate species within a genus. As Satish (Pardeshi) ji says ... so much to still learn and explore.

Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Oct 26, 2015, 12:20:54 PM10/26/15
to Samir Mehta, efloraofindia
Thanks to Samir for sharing his sighting of Uraria rufescens in his recent post, I am convinced that the posted plant is Uraria rufescens.
Regards.
Dinesh