DV - 01AUG10 - 1237 :: grass similar to Rhynchospora wightiana

Dinesh Valke

Aug 4, 2010, 1:01:07 PM8/4/10
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,
Flower of grass, similar to Rhynchospora wightiana ... ID please.
Please bear with me ... only single photo.

Date/Time
: August 1, 2010 at 12.37pm IST
Location Place : Veermata Jijabai Bhosale Udyan, Mumbai
Altitude : about 10 m (above mean sea level)
GPS : about 18°58'41.72"N, 72°50'13.35"E

Habitat : Garden
Type : untended grass area

Plant
Habit
: grass
Height : about 1 foot max

Flowers
Size
: about 0.5 inch
Colour : white

Regards.
P1220157_cropped.jpg
P1220157.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 4, 2010, 1:23:07 PM8/4/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Kyllinga nemorosa, I suppose.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 4, 2010, 1:27:08 PM8/4/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
K. nemoralis pl.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 4, 2010, 1:28:17 PM8/4/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
And yes Dinesh ji, it is a sedge and not a grass.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dinesh Valke

Aug 4, 2010, 1:42:53 PM8/4/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
... many many thanks for the ID, Gurcharan ji ... more importantly for clearing my thoughts about grass and sedge.
Regards.

Muthu Karthick

Aug 5, 2010, 1:51:50 AM8/5/10
to Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Yes Dineshji,
This sedge is Kyllingia nemoralis ( J. R. & G. Forst.) Dandy ex Hutchinson & Dalziel of Cyperaceae.

Did you collected form a moist place or from its proximity?
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

Dinesh Valke

Aug 5, 2010, 2:13:51 AM8/5/10
to Muthu Karthick, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Muthu ji, this was in Veermata Jijabai Bhosale Udyan (formerly and popularly known as Rani Baug or Victoria Gardens) at Byculla, Mumbai.

The sedge is growing wild in untended area where normally is grass lawn meant for visitors to sit and enjoy the garden.
Moist, we may say, yes ... due to rains, water-logging is obvious in untended grass lawns.

Regards.

tanay bose

Aug 5, 2010, 3:42:38 AM8/5/10
to Dinesh Valke, Muthu Karthick, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Kyllinga nemorosa sure
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose