Ziziphus sp. & Pierrot butterfly :: Hooghly, West Bengal (indiantreepix@googlegroups.com)

surajit koley (Google Docs)

Mar 21, 2012, 2:46:37 PM3/21/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Click to open:

Sir,

Jujube or Indian date (Indian plum) tree is a larval food plant of some Pierrot (Tarucus sp.) butterflies. Found some butterflies today basking under such a jujube tree.

Species :

Plant : Ziziphus ziziphus (syn. Ziziphus jujuba)

Bengali name : KUL(KOOL) GACH

Butterfly : Tarucus sp. (possibly Tarucus extricatus)

Date : 21/03/2012, 9.45 a.m.

Place : Gobra (Hooghly), WB

(images 800x600, except in the table)

courtship ?

UN view

UP view

courtship ?

larval food plant

leaves

fruits (favourite for kids and teenagers)

underside of the leaves (note the prickle)

bark

tree (wild variety)

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

Google Docs makes it easy to create, store and share online documents, spreadsheets and presentations.
Logo for Google Docs

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 22, 2012, 12:18:49 AM3/22/12
to surajit koley (Google Docs), indian...@googlegroups.com
Surajit ji
Ziziphus ziziphus can't be a correct name as it is a tautonym. The Indian Ber is more commonly named as Z. mauritiana Lamk. (syn: Z. jujuba (L.) Lamk.) distinct from Z. jujuba Mill.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

surajit koley

Mar 22, 2012, 1:21:56 PM3/22/12
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Sir for throwing lights on the correct scientific name of the Indian Ber tree. I am wondering if we have the Z. jujuba Mill. here. How do i differentiate one from the other?

Regards,

Surajit

Neil Soares

Mar 22, 2012, 1:44:16 PM3/22/12
to Gurcharan Singh, surajit koley, indian...@googlegroups.com

surajit koley

Mar 22, 2012, 2:11:09 PM3/22/12
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Wonderful capture Sir..... just great!

Regards,

Surajit

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 22, 2012, 10:31:19 PM3/22/12
to surajit koley, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Surajit ji
Z. jujuba Mill. is Chinese jujube or Chinese date, mainly a temperate species, with leaves glabrous beneath, longer stipular spine up to 3 cm long, petiole shorter than 5 mm and glabrous, fruit ovoid or oblong 2-3.5 cm long

Z. mauritiana is Indian jujube or Indian plum is mainly a species of warmer climates, leaves tomentose beneath, longer stipular spine 5-7 mm long, petiole 5-15 mm long and tomentose. It has two varieties the cultivated var. mauritiana a tree with 6-9 cm long leaves and ovoid 2.5-3.5 cm long fruit and var. spontanea (Edgew.) R.R. Stewart ex Qaiser & Nazim, a wild shrub with 2-3 cm long leaves and globose 1-1.5 cm long fruits.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

surajit koley

Mar 23, 2012, 1:36:52 PM3/23/12
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Sir,

Thank you for these identification keys to the both species of Ziziphus. I think i would be able to identify them correctly from now on.

Regards,

Surajit Koley