DV - 03JUL10 - 1016 :: pizza mushroom

Dinesh Valke

Jul 4, 2010, 2:33:30 AM7/4/10
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,
... mushroom for ID please.

Date/Time
: July 3, 2010 at 10.16am IST
Location Place : near Lion's Point, Lonavala
Altitude : about 762 m (above mean sea level)
GPS18°41'56.00"N, 73°23'12.79"E

Habitat : wild, damp forest floor
Type : deciduous forest

Habit
: mushroom
Height : about 12 - 15 inches
Size : diameter 10 inches

Regards.
P1190870.jpg
P1190841.jpg
P1190845.jpg
P1190852.jpg
P1190858.jpg

raghu ananth

Jul 4, 2010, 3:28:15 AM7/4/10
to Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dinesh ji,

Lovely pictures, mushrooms growing upto 12-15" itself is amazing, I am yet to see such a large mushroom.
clear cap shot, nice habitat.

I am really missing the monsoon magic in the Western ghats

TFS /Regards

Raghu
Chennai

Jul 4, 2010, 12:40:41 PM7/4/10
to raghu ananth, Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Ahh Haa !! This is Macrolepiota procera famous for its extra ordinary large size !!!

See from the link for more : http://www.mushroomexpert.com/macrolepiota_procera.html

Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

nabha meghani

Jul 4, 2010, 4:55:45 PM7/4/10
to tanay bose, raghu ananth, Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hallo,
I missed the original mail somehow.  Macrolepiota procera is called parasol mushroom, really one can see big parasol mushrooms, and they taste very good. The yound mushrooms are edible, but only the cap. The stem is not so good, it is hard.
Regards
Nalini

kiran srivastava

Jul 6, 2010, 10:40:54 AM7/6/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Dinesh Valke
The first photo is superbly captured! The mushroom stands out stark in that patch of misty green. I saw my first microlepiota procera which was like a small dinner plate in the national park here and marvelled at its size.

The Boletus mushroom perhaps matches its size except that its stem is much thicker.

Cheers,
Kiran Srivastava
Mumbai

tanay bose

Jul 6, 2010, 11:14:37 AM7/6/10
to kiran srivastava, indian...@googlegroups.com, Dinesh Valke
This not Boletus sp because...............
1. Boletus species don't have gills they have pores technically known as hymenophores (this mushroom has gills).
2. The stipe is clavate at the base which is absent in this mushroom.

Tanay