Poaceae, Cyperaceae and Juncaceae Week :: ¿ Poaceae / Cyperaceae ? at Thane for ID :: 02 AUG 08 02:46 :: DV40

Dinesh Valke

Apr 7, 2013, 7:07:02 AM4/7/13
to efloraofindia
Poaceae, Cyperaceae and Juncaceae Week
grasses, sedges and rushes
¿ Poaceae / Cyperaceae ?
¿ Grass / Sedge ?
Place, Altitude: Vaghbil, Thane ... about 60 ft asl
Date, Time: 02 AUG 08 ... 02:46pm
Habitat: scrub vegetation during monsoon
Habit: small erect herb; perhaps just about 1.5 - 2 ft (guess)

... flowers of grass

... flowers of sedge

... flowers of sedge

... the habitat

... at Vaghbil
Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 7, 2013, 7:46:17 AM4/7/13
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
A sedge
I hope Cyperus iria, although not very sure.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

--

---

Dinesh Valke

Apr 7, 2013, 8:40:09 AM4/7/13
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Gurcharan ji for the tentative ID.
Will wait for comment(s).
Regards.
Dinesh

Rohit Patel

Apr 10, 2013, 6:31:51 AM4/10/13
to Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
I also agree with Gurucharan sir.

DR. ROHITKUMAR MANGALBHAI PATEL
PROJECT SCIENTIST
GUJARAT INSTITUTE OF DESERT ECOLOGY
P.O.# 83, MUNDRA ROAD,
OPP., CHANGLESHWER TEMPLE
BHUJ - KACHCHH - 370001
GUJARAT, INDIA
Mob.No.:- +919724337687

Dinesh Valke

Apr 10, 2013, 6:33:54 AM4/10/13
to Rohit Patel, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Rohit ji for the validation.
Regards.
Dinesh

Satish Phadke

Apr 17, 2013, 10:46:16 AM4/17/13
to Dinesh Valke, Rohit Patel, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Wonderful photographs.
I remember observing this on open lands. Used to play with this widely growing grass and making boundaries all around it and calling it as rice fields during my childhood.

Dr Satish Phadke