Gujarati names of Dioscorea pentaphylla

Dinesh Valke

Oct 10, 2018, 3:29:16 AM10/10/18
to efloraofindia, vip...@gmail.com
Dear friends, and Viplav ji,

Please validate following names for Dioscorea pentaphylla:
વાજ નો કંદ vaj no kand ... The Famine Foods Database
નાનો જંગલી કંદ nano jungli kand ... Biological Diversity of Gujarat ... current version of PDF seems to have shortened content - we no longer find the names' list which was found earlier.

Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Oct 10, 2018, 6:14:33 AM10/10/18
to efloraofindia, vip...@gmail.com
Found few more names, I am sure these are not common, may be limited to certain regions of Gujarat ...

હુરો huro ... વનસ્પતીઓ ના ગુજરાતી તથા બોટનીકલ નામ ની યાદી. (વૈધ કે.જે.ઝાલા)
વેણી વેલ veni vel ... thanks to Jalamsinh Vala for help with this name in facebook

Regards.
Dinesh

vip...@gmail.com

Oct 10, 2018, 10:13:26 AM10/10/18
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia

From what I gather, the name 'Vaj no kand' was documented by George Alexander Gammie in his paper "A note on the plants used during famines and seasons of scarcity in the Bombay Presidency" published in the Records of the Botanical Survey of India, vol. II, Calcutta, 1903. Have attached the relevant pages herewith. This name appears to be used for other Dioscorea species as well, not only in Surat district (Gujarat) but also in the former Khandesh district (Maharashtra). It would be spelt in Gujarati as વજનું કંદ or વજ કંદ. Also known as નાનો જંગલી કંદ.

I am not acquainted with the other names but વેણી વેલ is an evocative epithet since it is descriptive of the inflorescences (likened to braided hair). Most vernacular names of Dioscorea spp. refer to the tubers.

Best wishes, Viplav
Gammie_Dioscorea_pages 189-190_1903.pdf

J.M. Garg

Oct 10, 2018, 11:51:30 AM10/10/18
to vip...@gmail.com, DineshValke, efloraofindia
Thanks, Viplav ji and Dinesh ji

Ushadi Micromini

Oct 10, 2018, 12:02:31 PM10/10/18
to J.M. Garg, vip...@gmail.com, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
very apt and appropraite information, Viplav, thank you

I find that often what Dr/vaidya Zala write as gujrarati names of medicinal plants do not match with what i find in Bapalal Vaidyas book .
and sometimes not even in Dr. Patel's guj forest flora etc.  His must be truly local vernacular names that never got in any academic books.
yes the વેણી વેલ  sounds like a gajara of flower that women use  ie વેણી.

Besides that
I do not really see five leaflets even after enlarging, DInesh.
Am i missing something?
usha di
--
Usha di
===========

Dinesh Valke

Oct 10, 2018, 12:44:22 PM10/10/18
to ushadi Micromini, J.M. Garg, vip...@gmail.com, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Viplav ji for the information and clarity.
Usha di, this species of Dioscorea, has either 3 or 5 leaflets; one of its synonym is Dioscorea triphylla.
Regards.
Dinesh

Ushadi Micromini

Oct 10, 2018, 9:14:03 PM10/10/18
to Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg, vip...@gmail.com, efloraofindia
thats the confusion
does plant list say their molecular //genetic analysis shows same genes?

the genes that produce three leaf pattern with its unique venation
must be different from genes that produce five leaf pattern with a very different venation.

and the kand of the two type must be of different nutritonal or medicinal value

i just hope plant list and so kew, mobot, nybg et al will resolve such issues across the board
i am sure some one somewhere had done molecular analysis.

any way you current plant has three leaves
i wish you would see that their veins are different from the true pentaphylla leaves.
usha di
--
Usha di