Coorg Forest tree -- pls. id AS_28052012

greenearth

May 28, 2012, 11:40:35 AM5/28/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Satish Phadke

May 28, 2012, 1:09:07 PM5/28/12
to greenearth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Some Elaeocarpus species. Rudraksha tree.

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 9:10 PM, greenearth <sinha...@gmail.com> wrote:

Pls id this Coorg forest tree flowering in  February.
Thanks and regardsA..Sinha

--
Dr Satish Phadke

greenearth

May 31, 2012, 4:29:57 AM5/31/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, greenearth
Satish-ji,  Thanks for the pointer,
regards
A.Sinha

jmgarg1

Jun 10, 2012, 7:44:15 AM6/10/12
to efloraofindia, santhos...@gmail.com, le...@rediffmail.com, navend...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, mpar...@gmail.com, kotta...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, rites...@gmail.com, sgneg...@gmail.com, radha veach, A.Sinha, Satish Phadke

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“Some Elaeocarpus species. Rudraksha tree.” from Phadke ji.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

jmgarg1

Jun 10, 2012, 7:55:54 AM6/10/12
to efloraofindia, santhos...@gmail.com, le...@rediffmail.com, navend...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, mpar...@gmail.com, kotta...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, rites...@gmail.com, sgneg...@gmail.com, radha veach, A.Sinha, Satish Phadke
A reply from Anil Rajbhar ji:
"Its look like Elaeocarpus serratus L.f, i have seen this tree very common around Lingmala forest , Panchgani, its local name is Kashav, fruits edible."

navendu page

Jun 11, 2012, 12:00:56 AM6/11/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia, santhos...@gmail.com, le...@rediffmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, mpar...@gmail.com, kotta...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, rites...@gmail.com, sgneg...@gmail.com, radha veach, A.Sinha, Satish Phadke
There seems to be lot of confusion in the nomenclature of WG's Elaeocarpus.

I think this is Elaeocarpus oblongus (=E. variabilis, = E.glandulosus, = E.tectorius). Plant list for some reasons treats E.oblongus and E.variabilis as distinct taxa.

E. serratus is very similar but slightly distinct in floral characters. Both these species occur in Coorg, however only the prior is found in Mahabaleshwar.

navendu
--
Navendu Page

PhD student
Kartik Shanker's Lab
Center for Ecological Sciences
Indian Institute of Science
Bangalore - 560012
Ph: +91 9611053510

Rathinasabapathy Bhuvaragasamy

Jun 12, 2012, 6:02:49 AM6/12/12
to greenearth, efloraofindia
For me Its look like E. serratus?
--
B. Rathinasabapathy
Project Co-ordinator

Giby Kuriakose

Jun 12, 2012, 7:54:57 AM6/12/12
to Rathinasabapathy Bhuvaragasamy, greenearth, efloraofindia, navendu page
I agree with Navendu.
Please see the link  https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!topic/indiantreepix/9P1bPeCgrSU
to access an earlier discussion in this group.

Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

jmgarg1

Dec 1, 2012, 6:42:10 AM12/1/12
to navendu page, efloraofindia, santhos...@gmail.com, le...@rediffmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, mpar...@gmail.com, kotta...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, rites...@gmail.com, sgneg...@gmail.com, radha veach, A.Sinha, Satish Phadke, Dinesh Valke
I am taking it as Elaeocarpus oblongus auct. non. Gaertn. 1788 as per referred book links given below & modifying efi site page accordingly to https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/species/a---l/e/elaeaocarpaceae/elaeocarpus/elaeocarpus-oblongus-1 from Elaeocarpus oblongus Gaertn. earlier:

The Plant list & GRIN only mentions Elaeocarpus oblongus Gaertn. I think we (those who do not have botanical books like me) have to refer to such book links in future to get correct species with proper author citation.
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 2015 members & 1,39,500 messages on 30/11/12) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 7500 species).

greenearth

Dec 2, 2012, 5:13:00 AM12/2/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, navendu page, santhos...@gmail.com, le...@rediffmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, mpar...@gmail.com, kotta...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, rites...@gmail.com, sgneg...@gmail.com, radha veach, A.Sinha, Satish Phadke, Dinesh Valke

Could someone please enlighten me on how to distinguish this as E.oblongus ?

The leaves and mature red leaves seem to be common to all species.
The bark is grey , mottled with black patches ( peeling bark??), while serraatus and sphericus are reported to have brownish barks.

Thanks,
A. Sinha

Some history of this Tree:
This tree stands outside the  Nalknad palace/Hunting lodge, the last refuge of the last Kodava ( Coorgi) king who ousted Tipu from Coorg, but was finally vanquished by the British.  It was then the thickest forest , and this tree was perhaps a sapling.

jmgarg1

Dec 8, 2012, 8:16:29 AM12/8/12
to greenearth, indian...@googlegroups.com, navendu page, santhos...@gmail.com, le...@rediffmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, mpar...@gmail.com, kotta...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, rites...@gmail.com, sgneg...@gmail.com, radha veach, Satish Phadke, Dinesh Valke
A reply:
"PLEASE SEE MY BOOK 'FOREST TREES OF THE WESTERN GHATS." from Sh. S G Neginhal.