grass Coix again 17/10/12 sk

surajit koley

Oct 17, 2012, 2:28:26 PM10/17/12
to efloraofindia
Sir,

This seems to be another Coix, a slimmer species with much slimmer leaves, found in a marsh at a outskirt. Could this be a variety of Coix aquatica Roxburgh? I have recorded photographs of 3 individual tufts and i hope there is no mix up.

Species : Coix sp.?

Habit & Habitat :
slender grass in a marshy low land,
5 feet or more tall,
stem erect, about 7 mm wide,
leaves more than 75 cm x 13 mm

Date : 17/10/12, 1.30 p.m.
Place : Khanpur-Barijhati (Hooghly)

Thank you & Regards,

surajit

Coix_DSCN4604.jpg
Coix_DSCN4670.jpg
Coix_DSCN4676.jpg
Coix_DSCN4685.jpg
Coix_DSCN4686.jpg
Coix_DSCN4694.jpg
Coix_DSCN4696.jpg
Coix_DSCN4701.jpg
Coix_DSCN4719.jpg
Coix_DSCN4609.jpg
Coix_DSCN4660.jpg
Coix_DSCN4661.jpg
Coix_DSCN4662.jpg
Coix_DSCN4663.jpg
Coix_DSCN4665.jpg
Coix_DSCN4666.jpg
Coix_DSCN4669.jpg

Nidhan Singh

Oct 18, 2012, 3:53:41 AM10/18/12
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Very very beautifully captured images Surajit Ji...cannot say of species though...
--
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Assisstant Professor
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

surajit koley

Oct 18, 2012, 12:34:56 PM10/18/12
to Nidhan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you very much once again Nidhan Sir, my camera behaves well in good light :)

Regards,

surajit

manoj chandran

Oct 22, 2012, 2:07:57 AM10/22/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
The only Coix with linear leaf and simple base is Coix gasteeni, which is the only Coix found in Australia. The photo looks like a place which has been developed recently and probably, these could be planted ones also. Kindly confirm whether it was planted and what was the source of the plant. If not, you can check nearby areas for probably wild populations. Coix aquatica has cordate leaf base like other coix species, but will have glandular hairs on the dorsal side of the leaf. This photo shows glandular hairs on some of the leaf sheaths only. You can also see the stilt roots. If there is a good population, you can also try uprooting some plants to see what the root system is like, whether it is rhizomatous, stoloniferous, spongy, etc. Well done!

surajit koley

Oct 22, 2012, 12:27:07 PM10/22/12
to manoj chandran, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sir,

The place where i found this grass is bordering area of three villages in Hooghly, GARALGACHA, KHANPUR and BARIJHATI. All the villages are in Chanditala Block and about 25 km from Howrah Rly. Stn.

I attach three new pics, the road in one of the pics is the connecting road to villages. It was a dirt road and converted to asphalt-concrete last year. The lands on the both sides of the road are relatively low land and get submerged during rainy season. Rest of the year it is foraging area for village cattle and playground for village urchins.

All those saplings and the fence therewith were planted / erected on the 30th September to commemorate the birth centenary of Dr. Siddheswar Mukhopadhyaya, the founder of our school in Garalgacha. I was not present during plantation programme.

Otherwise the place was covered by roadside trees and aquatic and semi-aquatic wild species before the concretization the road. Grasses like Typha, or sages are growing here for long.

This grass seems to be wild one, might have been introduced unknowingly. Any chance of coming with road materials? Because they cannot grow 5 feet in about a week or so. I have seen one or two of this grass well inside the lowland, away from the roadside.

Regards,

surajit

--

05oct12_DSCN3374.jpg
barijhati_khanpur.jpg

jmgarg1

Oct 29, 2012, 8:42:38 AM10/29/12
to efloraofindia, crazyg...@gmail.com, tanvee...@gmail.com, pch...@gmail.com, mug...@gmail.com, nirbh...@rediffmail.com, pritis...@gmail.com, mach...@gmail.com, girish...@gmail.com, surajitno...@gmail.com

Some earlier relevant feedback:

 The only Coix with linear leaf and simple base is Coix gasteeni, which is the only Coix found in Australia. The photo looks like a place which has been developed recently and probably, these could be planted ones also. Kindly confirm whether it was planted and what was the source of the plant. If not, you can check nearby areas for probably wild populations. Coix aquatica has cordate leaf base like other coix species, but will have glandular hairs on the dorsal side of the leaf. This photo shows glandular hairs on some of the leaf sheaths only. You can also see the stilt roots. If there is a good population, you can also try uprooting some plants to see what the root system is like, whether it is rhizomatous, stoloniferous, spongy, etc. Well done!- from Manoj ji.

[...]

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1980 members & 1,33,000 messages on 30/9/12) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 7500 species).

Coix_DSCN4604.jpg
Coix_DSCN4670.jpg
Coix_DSCN4676.jpg
Coix_DSCN4685.jpg
Coix_DSCN4686.jpg
Coix_DSCN4694.jpg
Coix_DSCN4696.jpg
Coix_DSCN4701.jpg
Coix_DSCN4719.jpg
Coix_DSCN4609.jpg
Coix_DSCN4660.jpg
Coix_DSCN4661.jpg
Coix_DSCN4662.jpg
Coix_DSCN4663.jpg
Coix_DSCN4665.jpg
Coix_DSCN4666.jpg
Coix_DSCN4669.jpg

surajit koley

Oct 29, 2012, 9:18:56 AM10/29/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia, crazyg...@gmail.com, tanvee...@gmail.com, pch...@gmail.com, mug...@gmail.com, nirbh...@rediffmail.com, pritis...@gmail.com, mach...@gmail.com, girish...@gmail.com
Good evening Sir,

Manoj Sir asked me if i could find its occurrence in the wild and ascertain if it is imported somehow in that area. I will try to find out.

Thank you & Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

Oct 31, 2012, 10:58:53 AM10/31/12
to Manoj Chandran, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg"
Sir,

This grass is naturally occurring in that area. I roamed the area today, on my cycle, and found they are scattered along the roadside. I have recorded more pictures at a place one km. away from the first site.

According to the local people both the sides of the road has been filled with earth collected from a nearby marsh and that particular marsh is the habitat of this grass. It was not possible to visit the marsh right at this time, for it is still flooded. But local people, including two of my students there insisted that there is good population of this grass.

Thank you,

Regards,

surajit

6166.jpg
6242.jpg
6243.jpg
6246.jpg
6169.jpg
6174.jpg
6207.jpg
6208.jpg
6210.jpg
6211.jpg
6212.jpg
6213.jpg

surajit koley

Oct 31, 2012, 11:09:51 AM10/31/12
to Manoj Chandran, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg"
Sir,

I would like to add that the upper surface of its leaf is slightly rough (scabrid?) while the under surface is smooth (glabrous?). The root is spongy.

Regards,

surajit