ANMAY08/34 Lamiaceae (Incl. Verbenaceae) Fortnight: Leucas sp. for identification (2)

Anurag Sharma

May 13, 2015, 1:06:10 PM5/13/15
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Family: Lamiaceae
Date: May 2015
Place: Agumbe, Karnataka
Habit: Herb
100000.jpg
100001.jpg
100002.jpg
100003.jpg
100004.jpg

J.M. Garg

May 20, 2015, 6:07:16 AM5/20/15
to efloraofindia, Anurag Sharma

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Leucas species in eFloraofindia (with details/ keys from published papers/ regional floras/ FRLHT/ FOI/ Biotik/ efloras/ books etc., where ever available on net)

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

100000.jpg
100001.jpg
100002.jpg
100003.jpg
100004.jpg

Vijayasankar

May 20, 2015, 9:42:35 AM5/20/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Anurag Sharma
Leucas stelligera, perhaps.

Vijay
Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
Research Scientist
University of Mississippi, MS, USA

Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan

May 21, 2015, 12:27:54 AM5/21/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Anurag Sharma
Leucas eriostoma

J.M. Garg

May 29, 2015, 2:38:54 AM5/29/15
to efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, Anurag Sharma, Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Leucas stelligera, perhaps.
Vijay

Leucas eriostoma- from Santhan ji.

efi page on Leucas stelligera  &  Leucas eriostoma

May 29, 2015, 9:44:16 AM5/29/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, Anurag Sharma, Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan
Two professionals are here, I should not express  my view. I can only say that in a similar looking post by Anurag Ji I suggested something, but presently I have developed doubt. I simply do not know.

One thread by Alka Ji https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/qEFnc8mx-Ms/8TDgWaPJjrwJ have been validated by Dr. Sunoj Ji, please check if that can help.

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of
efloraofIndia google group

Anurag Sharma

May 31, 2015, 12:43:26 PM5/31/15
to surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan
The calyx tube's teeth look different from what I have clicked when compared to Alka ma'am's photos of Leucas stelligera validated by Dr. Sunoj Kumar.
Can I take it as Leucas eriostoma instead? It looks closer to that species.
--
Anurag N. Sharma
BSc. (CBZ) 2nd Year

surajit koley

May 31, 2015, 1:33:26 PM5/31/15
to Anurag Sharma, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan
There are problems ... one is -

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of
efloraofIndia google group

FBI.jpg

Anurag Sharma

Jun 1, 2015, 10:10:57 AM6/1/15
to surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan
Thank you sir.
I will be visiting Agumbe this month. I'll return with exact measurements and further details of this plant. It grows roadside in the village there. Maybe the descriptions might help then or we could make our own key between the two species and the varieties then.

surajit koley

Jun 1, 2015, 11:57:40 AM6/1/15
to Anurag Sharma, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan
Without book like https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/ugPA0p8vIF4/TzIXJ_o5IV4J, better BSI publication, I am afraid I could do anything at all. Let professionals have their say.

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of
efloraofIndia google group

Anurag N. Sharma

Jun 4, 2015, 10:45:41 AM6/4/15
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Thank you once again sir.
I may purchase the book soon.
Will let you know.
Anurag N. Sharma
BSc. (CBZ) 3rd Year
St. Josephs College
Bangalore

surajit koley

Jun 4, 2015, 11:39:10 AM6/4/15
to Anurag N. Sharma, efloraofindia
Will be happy to know ID(s) of all pending Leucas, thank you Anurag Ji.

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of
efloraofIndia google group

surajit koley

Jun 10, 2015, 1:00:41 PM6/10/15
to Anurag N. Sharma, efloraofindia
Anurag Ji,

If you have/going to have the monograph please skip the rest of the mail. ...... else -

I realize simply having a book is not sufficient for me to identify certain difficult species, that too unseen/unknown before.

  • problem areas of Leucas eriostoma
According to the monograph Karnataka has two - L. eriostoma var. eriostoma and L. e. var. lanata.
One KEY says L. eriostoma var. eriostoma should have two whorls at most (there are 3 whorls in 100001.jpg).
But the description says whorls terminal & axillary, illustration shows one branch having three whorls.
Calyx tube ribbed and hispid in the upper part glabrous in lower region (calyx in these pics are throughout hairy).

Another KEY, where flowers are in more than two axillary whorls, informs -
(i) calyx teeth stellately spreading, recurved = L. stelligera
(ii) ....... erect or spreading but not stellately, not recurved = eriostoma var. eriostoma (longer leaves, whorls upto 2.5 cm.) and eriostoma var. lanata (having leaves upto 4 cm long, whorls upto 2cm diam.).
  • problem area of L. stelligera
I am not sure if calyx teeth in your pics can be called stellately spreading (perhaps yes to certain degree) and recurved.

As per the monograph L. eriostoma is not distributed in Maharashtra, as is Leucas lanata !

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of
efloraofIndia google group

Anurag N. Sharma

Jun 11, 2015, 11:50:20 AM6/11/15
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Probably wont be getting the monograph any time soon sir.
Thank you for the key.

I will keep this in mind when I get the plant. I perhaps should also start writing down the descriptions of the live plant as I see it myself. This would save a lot of time for when we both are pouring over keys and wondering if may this or that feature could be described in this way or the other.

surajit koley

Jun 11, 2015, 12:48:01 PM6/11/15
to Anurag N. Sharma, efloraofindia
So, the ball is again in my court!
Well, Anurag ji, I ordered the book just after sending you reply-mail, in this very thread, on the 1st June, received on 8th (not because of eriostoma but because of aspera)!

The 'foreword' informs the genus is highly polymorphic, individuals of a species also show great range of morphological variations!

It is really impossible for me to arrive any conclusion. Instead -
  • leaf 5-10 x 0.5-4 cm, veins 5-7 pairs, very oblique; flower whorls 1-2.5 cm = eriostoma var. eriostoma
  • leaf 2.5-4 x ?? cm, veins ?????; flower whorls 1-2 cm = eriostoma var. lanata
  • leaf 3-12 x 0.5-2 cm, ???????; flower whorls 1.5-4 cm = stelligera
This much I can do!

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of
efloraofIndia google group

Anurag N. Sharma

Jun 11, 2015, 1:03:35 PM6/11/15
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Thanks for that sir! Should make it handy for when I check the plant up close. :)

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 13, 2021, 10:42:35 AM10/13/21
to efloraofindia

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 13, 2021, 10:43:33 AM10/13/21
to indiantreepix, Anurag Sharma
100000.jpg
100001.jpg
100002.jpg
100003.jpg
100004.jpg

J.M. Garg

Oct 19, 2021, 6:07:23 AM10/19/21
to efloraofindia, Anurag sharma
To me appears close to images at Leucas eriostoma Hook.f.

Oct 19, 2021, 6:18:16 AM10/19/21
to efloraofindia, Anurag sharma
Thanks a lot, Sunoj ji.