Capparaceae and Cleomaceae fortnight :: Crateva sp. in Thane for ID :: DV13

Dinesh Valke

Sep 6, 2013, 12:49:19 AM9/6/13
to efloraofindia

Capparaceae and Cleomaceae fortnight
Cleomaceae, the cleome or spider-flower family
Crateva sp. for ID

Dear friends, this spectacular bloom was once in a lifetime for me; the tree planted in Govt. premises no longer exists. Please do not bother that the photos in my flickr photostream are labelled as Crateva religiosa. Keen to know the ID. Crateva has always confused me.
in Thane on 27 NOV 07 (was planted tree in Govt. premises)

Barun (Bengali: বরুণ)

Nir Mathalam (in Malayalam)

Varuna Vrukshamu (Telugu: వరుణ వృక్షము)

Mavilinkam (Tamil: மாவிலிங்கம்)

Vaywarana (Marathi: वायवरणा)
Regards.
Dinesh

Nidhan Singh

Sep 6, 2013, 1:17:47 AM9/6/13
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Yes, they very lively pictures..you are not the only one to be confused..I also have not shared my pics of Crataeva due to confusing identity...

Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Assistant Professor
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

Balkar Singh

Sep 6, 2013, 9:49:22 AM9/6/13
to Nidhan Singh, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
I am also still confused
Dr Balkar Singh
Head, Deptt. of Botany and Biotechnology &
Horticulture Incharge
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

J.M. Garg

Sep 16, 2013, 2:13:53 AM9/16/13
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Prashant awale, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Rajdeo Singh, satish pardeshi, Satish Phadke, Ajay Nalawade, Sweedle Cerejo, Nudrat Sayed, Neil Soares, Vinod Devarkar, Sheetal Chaudhari, Pravin Kawale, Sachin Sata, rlgh...@gmail.com, Adittya Dharap, radha veach, Ramchandra Gore, Smita Raskar, rahul kamble, dinesh.s...@gmail.com, Nidhan Singh, Balkar Singh
Hi, Dinesh ji,
Trees of Delhi states Crataeva nurvala, Crataeva religiosa & Crataeva magna to be an invalid Syn. of Crateva
adansonii
(i.e. not valid synonyms, but are commonly used (incorrectly)).

Crataeva nurvala [C.religosa] is an African species that is not [naturally] found in India.

Also see

Flora of Eastern Ghats: Hill Ranges of South East India, Volume 1 By Thammineni Pullaiah, D. Muralidhara Rao, K. Sri Ramamurthy (Description & Keys with C. Magna) (syn. as C. religiosa Dunn in Gamble , pp non Forst. f.)

Flora of Eastern Ghats: Hill Ranges of South East India, Volume 1 By T. Pullaiah, D. Muralidhara Rao, K. Sri Ramamurthy (2002- Description & Keys- Crateva adansonii subsp. odora (Buch.-Ham.) Jacobs (syn. Crateva odora Buch.-Ham., Crateva religiosa var. roxburghii, Crateva religiosa sensu Dunn)

You can see a lot of discussions in this regard at Crateva adansonii subsp. odora & Crateva tapia, the only two species posted & agreed to so far at efi. Also see  Crateva (Indian book refrences).

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world): http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 2165 members & 1,64,000 messages on 31/8/13) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 8500 species & 1,70, 000 images).