[efloraofindia:32601] Aquatic herb from Panipat for Id

Balkar Arya

Apr 18, 2010, 1:23:29 PM4/18/10
to indiantreepix, Balkar Arya
Dear All
An Aquatic (Completely merged) Herb from a Canal Near PTPS Panipat
for id pls

Date/Time-

06-04-10

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-

Near Thermal Power Station Canal Panipat

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type

wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb

Aquatic Herb

Height/Length-

25 cm

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

Needle like

Regards
--
Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat

From PTPS Canal-1.jpg
From PTPS Canal-2.jpg
From PTPS Canal-3.jpg
From PTPS Canal-4.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 18, 2010, 1:50:30 PM4/18/10
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
May be Potamogeton crispus

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

Apr 18, 2010, 3:06:45 PM4/18/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix

I knew that this plant belongs to genus Potamogeton but did not knew the species ..this plant is regulary sold by the people who sell aquarium fish and plants here in Kolkata.
regards
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Balkar Arya

Apr 18, 2010, 8:55:35 PM4/18/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Dear Gurcharan Ji and Tanay
Leaves does not look like Potamogeton.

tanay bose

Apr 19, 2010, 12:37:20 AM4/19/10
to Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix

Dear Balkar Ji & Gurcharan Ji,

After looking at the photos taken by Balkar Ji minutely for several times. I completely abandoned the idea that this plant is Potamogeton sp which I initially thought it to be and also suggested the name. A close look at the plant this morning I got to know that the leaves are arranged in a whorl and I tried to confirm it from Balkar Ji over telephone, though he was not sure but told me as far as he remembers my observation can be right, he told me he will make an effort to see the plant again from the same spot and will confirm me about the query.

The next thing which came to my mind was another aquatic plant called Cabomba sp but on deep investigation I had to abandon my thought due to the flower of this particular plant which shows no resemblance with the photos provided by Balkar Ji.

Suddenly looking at one of the photos I saw a single flask shaped structure which looks like the “nucule” and on further studies the brown cluster like structure looks the “Amorphous Bulbils” (unit of vegetative reproduction) found in the members of Characeae , the studies led me to the very common Characeae (Charales) member known as Nitella sp (commonly called stoneworts) it has slimy texture (I hope is looks same from the photos) and it has nucule below the globule (Chara sp has the opposite i.e. nucule above the globule). Lastly I have seen this plant grows vigorously in Haryana area due to its sandy type soil under water and I hope this plant was completely submerged bear the bank of the canal where Balkar Ji has seen it. I don’t know whether my idea is right or complexly a vague idea result of my illusions, only way out is a help from all the members Please validate and put maximum number of suggestions so that I or any other member can get hold of the correct Identification of this plant.

PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED PHOTO WHICH I HAVE ADOPTED FROM THE PHOTOS PROVIDED BY BALKAR JI AND HAVE TRIED TO INDICATED THE PLANT DETAILS ABOUT Nitella sp WHICH I COULD OBSERVE.

Regards

Tanay

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 6:25 AM, Balkar Arya <balka...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Gurcharan Ji and Tanay
Leaves does not look like Potamogeton.

Regards
--
Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

DETAILS MORPHOLOGICAL STUDIES OF THE AQUATIC PLANT FROM PANIPAT.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 19, 2010, 2:55:00 AM4/19/10
to tanay bose, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Dear Tanay
You surely have a very investigative mind. You have great future, my best wishes for that.
Clearly it is not Potamogeton. Could be Nitella, but looks slimy and swollen in upper part.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

Apr 19, 2010, 7:19:46 AM4/19/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Dear Gurcharan Ji,
I am looking forward for Nitella sp this algae is very slimy in contrast to Chara sp wich lack this and also more robust, that is why it is always mistaken as angiospermic plant. Still I will wait more more responses to decipher the name..
Thanks for the response!!
Regards
Tanay

tanay bose

Apr 19, 2010, 8:31:45 AM4/19/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Dear All,
Just came to know about another fact about Nitella sp this particular algae from the Characeae has forked branches which is an unique character of this genus and not found in any other genera belonging to Characeae. Forked branches can also be seen in the photos provided by Balkar ji. Kindly see the attachments.
Regards
Tanay

FORKED BRANCHES OF Nitella sp.jpg

Balkar Arya

Apr 19, 2010, 1:42:55 PM4/19/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Dear Tanay
I think you have spent a lot of energy for id of this plant, really you are genious. I am Sorry, i today also could not visit PTPS Canal, because i spent my whole day to get my name struck of from Census 2011 Duty. I am attaching two more photo for more clarification which i could get from my Deptt system
Thanks a lot for for the fruitful efforts.

Regards
--
Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat

--
Nitella-1.jpg
Nitella-2.jpg

R. Vijayasankar

Apr 19, 2010, 4:25:32 PM4/19/10
to Balkar Arya, tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
You are simply great Tanay! Keep it up!
--
With regards

R. Vijayasankar
National Center for Natural Products Research,
The University of Mississippi,
Oxford, MS-38677, USA.

tanay bose

Apr 20, 2010, 12:22:33 AM4/20/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Dear Balkar ji & Vijayasankar Ji,
Thanks for your confirmation regarding the identification of this plant as Nitella sp . The identification was bit tough in response to my knowledge but I am happy that I could make the way. The photos attached by Balkar ji from his college database also confirms my findings, one of the photos clearly shows the prescence of mature bulbil and also a collapsed nucule (please see the attached photo). Most of the time globules are not seen in the photos because it stays behind the nucules (in case of Nitella sp) but if the the photo is taken side ways visibily can be generated. Whatever may be !! But I am satisfied with my ID. This was really a change of taste for me and got me out from the monotony of the vascular plants which are more emphasized in the group. Thanks to all for the appriciation and help forwarded by Balkar ji for resending the photos as per my request . I will kindly ask for permission from Balkar ji "Can I keep these photos with me ?" If you reply back to me positively then only I will proceed for keeping them for my knowledge and will not misuse them... I will wait for the response.
Regards
Tanay
Nitella-2.jpg

Satish Chile

Apr 20, 2010, 8:28:47 AM4/20/10
to tanay bose, R. Vijayasankar, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Tanay ji,
Nitella flexilis ? I collected from Pachmarhi ( A hill station in M.P.) the photographs reminds me the specimen collected by me. Although that collection at present no in my possession because I'm posted in different college now. But I still can say this is Nitella.
Satish
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

tanay bose

Apr 20, 2010, 8:43:34 AM4/20/10
to Satish Chile, R. Vijayasankar, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Dear Satish
This is indeed Nitella sp I also saw this on my visit to Panchmari but such close up and without   prominent sexual reproductive characters was hard (only bulbils could be seen which looks like fruits of angiosprems) and was misidentified by me initially as an angiospermic plant. But I had to a lot of research to get hold of the name but I am not sure of the species as in Haryana  Nitella flexilis & Nitella gracilis are found in plenty. I hope it can be Nitella gracilis because the structure it more robust than N flexilis which has branches more slender and thin in respect.
Regards
Tanay

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 9:22 PM, tanay bose <tanay...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Balkar Arya

Apr 20, 2010, 10:04:09 AM4/20/10
to tanay bose, sing...@gmail.com, indiantreepix
Dear Tanay
Thank you very much.You pls feel free to use my photos. I will be sending more to you in cd for id and other purposes. As we have started to make a state level herbarium in our college, i will require a lot of help specially from you and Gurcharan Ji and also from other members. I am also planning to visit Gurcharan Ji personaly to get his blessings and tons of information.

Regards

--
Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat

tanay bose

Apr 20, 2010, 10:13:54 AM4/20/10
to Balkar Arya, sing...@gmail.com, indiantreepix
Dear Balkar Ji,
Gurcharan ji has tons of experience behind him and he can help you to the brim of his knowledge . I am sure he will !!!He is very helpful person as far as I know and when it comes to me he helped me immensely at any time under any condition whatever may be the problem. Your idea is fantastic and also you selected a good contact nearby to you ..you r lucky man Balkar ji
Regards
Tanay