edible herb Hooghly 7-1-13 sk1

surajit koley

Jan 6, 2013, 8:48:13 PM1/6/13
to efloraofindia
Sir,

The owner of this herb claims it is edible and she collected it from Puri, a few years ago. Two or three of this herb is now growing wild in front of her home-yard.

Species : UNKNOWN
H & H : about 1 ft high, edible as vegetable
Date : 6/1/13
Plcae : Hooghly

Thank you,

Regards,

surajit

06jan13_DSCN0560.jpg
06jan13_DSCN0561.jpg
06jan13_DSCN0562.jpg
06jan13_DSCN0564.jpg
06jan13_DSCN0566.jpg
06jan13_DSCN0567.jpg
06jan13_DSCN0569.jpg

Ushadi Micromini

Jan 6, 2013, 11:13:05 PM1/6/13
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Surajit:
this is ceylon spinach
I have had it growing in a port and from there out into the lawn, it self seeds like crazy.

Beautiful ddep pink to outright magenta flowers are very attractive.
Leaves have a sourish taste, and I think it has oxalates, so folks with kidney trouble or blood vessel problem which includes most indians past 40 or 45 (atherosclerosis in any form) should not eat a whole bunch of it or any oxalate crystals containing veggies)

flowers of india site has a page: Ceylon spinach on foi

Daves gaden site ceylon sphinach is lumped with suriname and/ or phillipines spinach here   has lumped this one and other similar "spinaches" but look closely and you'll see that the leaves and the flowers look different. .

A few years ago all herbal nurseries carried this ... I dont see it anymore. Not very popular I guess.

Usha di

Usha di

surajit koley

Jan 7, 2013, 9:45:51 AM1/7/13