VoF Week :: DV :: 02 AUG 12 - 1041 :: Fritillaria cirrhosa at Valley of Flowers

Dinesh Valke

Aug 26, 2012, 3:28:45 PM8/26/12
to efloraofindia
Fritillaria cirrhosa D.Don ... (family: Liliaceae)
syn. Fritillaria roylei Hook.
Valley of Flowers
2 AUG 12
Valley of Flowers ... about 11600 ft
Fritillaria roylei

Fritillaria roylei
Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 26, 2012, 4:55:09 PM8/26/12
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Thanks Dinesh ji, you found at least in fruiting condition. I could catch it in flowering in May only. Completely missed it in previous years in Kashmir in July-August.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Nidhan Singh

Aug 27, 2012, 2:27:28 AM8/27/12
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Crispy pics Dinesh Ji.....thanks a lot...

--
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

Tabish

Aug 27, 2012, 2:58:15 AM8/27/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
I thought Fritillaria cirrhosa  was a plant of Eastern Himalayas and Fritillaria roylei a plant of Western Himalayas. This synonymy at the plant list is confusing. GRIN still treats them as separate.
   - Tabish

Dinesh Valke

Aug 27, 2012, 3:01:06 AM8/27/12
to Tabish, indian...@googlegroups.com
In that case, (we know them being separate species) would go with Fritillaria roylei.
Many many thanks Tabish for pointing this fact.
Regards,
Dinesh

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Tabish <tab...@gmail.com> wrote:
I thought Fritillaria cirrhosa  was a plant of Eastern Himalayas and Fritillaria roylei a plant of Western Himalayas. This synonymy at the plant list is confusing. GRIN still treats them as separate.
   - Tabish

Tabish

Aug 27, 2012, 3:03:30 AM8/27/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
 Also the leaves don't look like those of Fritillaria cirrhosa at all.
 - Tabish

Dinesh Valke

Aug 27, 2012, 3:08:04 AM8/27/12
to Tabish, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks again Tabish - thus supporting them to separate species.
Regards.
Dinesh

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Tabish <tab...@gmail.com> wrote:
 Also the leaves don't look like those of Fritillaria cirrhosa at all.

 - Tabish

Tabish

Aug 27, 2012, 8:30:49 AM8/27/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Tabish
Actually Dinesh, I am having doubts about this being Fritillaria at all, not that I have much experience with it. F. roylei is supposed to be 1-2 ft tall - this plant appears taller. Also, the flowers are nodding, whereas the fruit here is upright. It might happen of course that in fruiting the stalks become erect, but I need somebody to tell me that it does happen.
   - Tabish

Dinesh Valke

Aug 27, 2012, 8:41:00 AM8/27/12
to Tabish, indian...@googlegroups.com
These were standing about a metre tall or even 1.25 m, as much as I can recollect.
Transformation of a nodding flower to an upright fruit is worth understanding.
Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 27, 2012, 11:51:28 AM8/27/12
to Dinesh Valke, Tabish, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tabish ji for raising the doubt.
 Erect fruit is no problem, as I have seen plenty of them (one attached here) in related species F. imperialis (in which flowers are more strongly nodding). The leaves are, however, a problem clearly. Besides being slightly broader, they are clearly alternate here (opposite mostly in F. roylei, though few may be alternate). Besides the three bracteal leaves generally seen below the flower of Fritillaria roylei (and should be there in fruit also) are missing here.
    After a lot of thinking, I propose Lilium polyphyllum as possible ID of above plant by Dinesh ji.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
--

Fritillaria-imperialis-Badam Vari-IMG_2464-Kashmir-1.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Aug 27, 2012, 12:07:30 PM8/27/12
to Gurcharan Singh, Tabish, indian...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks to Gurcharan ji and Tabish for this discussion.
Regards.
Dinesh

jmgarg1

Sep 3, 2012, 1:17:12 AM9/3/12
to efloraofindia, sing...@gmail.com, tab...@gmail.com, sahani...@gmail.com, prajn...@gmail.com, mithuc...@gmail.com, shreya....@gmail.com, abesh...@gmail.com, balka...@gmail.com, nidhans...@gmail.com, res...@gmail.com, mand...@gmail.com, parm...@sancharnet.in, alokis...@gmail.com, tanay...@gmail.com, kisha...@rediffmail.com, aniltha...@gmail.com, tigeru...@gmail.com, Prashant awale, amit...@gmail.com, Dinesh Valke, Rajesh Sachdev, mani nair, Dalia Set, Smita Raskar

Some earlier relevant feedback:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/indiantreepix/Fritillaria$20roylei/indiantreepix/U9UaSLWJvy0/JpSL0MUUoaYJ

--

Dr. Gurcharan Singh

 I thought Fritillaria cirrhosa  was a plant of Eastern Himalayas and Fritillaria roylei a plant of Western Himalayas. This synonymy at the plant list is confusing. GRIN still treats them as separate.
   - Tabish

 Also the leaves don't look like those of Fritillaria cirrhosa at all. from Tabish ji.

[...]

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1950 members & 1,27,800 messages on 31/8/12) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 7000 species).

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Sep 3, 2012, 1:23:03 AM9/3/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Whole inflorescence of Geodorum turns upright while fruiting so that is not an issue. But I think Gurcharan sir is right. This is Lilium polyphyllum. This seems too tall for Frittilaria.
Best regards
Pankaj

Dinesh Valke

Sep 3, 2012, 1:42:19 AM9/3/12
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks Garg ji for resurfacing this post.
Thank you very much Pankaj for the clarification, and for confirming the ID.
Regards.
Dinesh

Pankaj

Balkar Singh

Sep 3, 2012, 9:32:30 AM9/3/12
to Dinesh Valke, Dr Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
A description for Lilium polyphyllum from 100 himalayan Flowers by Mehta and Bole
"It is bulbous herb, with leafy stem, upto 3 m tall the leaves are linear to oblanceolate, 10-12 cm, slender and many nerved; the lower leaves are ogten whorled, the flowers are fragrant, 5 Cm in dia, and are held on terminal racemes. Blooming from June to August, they are dull yellowish or greenish outside and white within with long purple streaks; the segments are oblanceolate, strongly reflexed or curved, giving the flower a cup shaped pretty appearance. The fruit is an erect, 3 valved many seeded capsule; The seeds are vertically compressed"
So I also conclude  Lilium polyphyllum
Thanks

Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Dinesh Valke

Sep 3, 2012, 10:15:02 AM9/3/12
to Balkar Singh, Dr Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much Balkar ji for the description, and for confirming the ID.
Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 11, 2012, 1:02:54 AM9/11/12
to Dinesh Valke, Balkar Singh, Dr Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Really strange and interesting
Almost similar plant in same stage uploaded by Debashis Chowdhury in Indian Flora on Facebook is labelled by him as Gymnadenia orchidis. Perhaps Orchid experts can comment on this.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 11, 2012, 1:13:12 AM9/11/12
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Balkar Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Respected Sir
If you can put the link here, then may be I will check at home.
No facebook usually at office :(
Pankaj
"Taxonomists getting Extinct and Species Data Deficient !!"

Pankaj Kumar, Ph.D.
Conservation Officer

Office:
Orchid Conservation Section
Flora Conservation Department
Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden (KFBG) Corporation
Lam Kam Road, Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong.

Residence:
151, 1st Floor, Tai Om Tsuen
Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong.

email: pku...@kbfg.org; sahani...@gmail.com; pankaj...@rediffmail.com
Phone: +852 2483 7128 (office - 8:30am to 5:00pm); +852 9436 6251
(mobile). Fax: +852 2483 7194

jmgarg1

Sep 11, 2012, 1:17:28 AM9/11/12
to debash...@gmail.com, efloraofindia
Hi, Debasish ji,
For your inf. pl.

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 11, 2012, 1:29:41 AM9/11/12
to jmgarg1, Pankaj Kumar, Dinesh Valke, debash...@gmail.com, efloraofindia
Here is the link to upload on Indian Flora on Facebook

It looks as if the two of them (Dinesh ji and Debashis ji) have photographed the same specimen.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 11, 2012, 1:35:25 AM9/11/12
to Gurcharan Singh, jmgarg1, Dinesh Valke, debash...@gmail.com, efloraofindia
Oh yea, thats 100% wrong, I saw it on my phone.
Pankaj

Umeshkumar Tiwari

Sep 11, 2012, 1:21:12 PM9/11/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
I think it is not Fritilaria, it may be Lilium ???????

Dinesh Valke

Sep 11, 2012, 1:46:22 PM9/11/12
to Umeshkumar Tiwari, indian...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks Umesh ji for further validating the posted plant to be Lilium (polyphyllum).
Regards.
Dinesh