Fabaceae-Caesalpinioideae (Caesalpiniaceae) :: Saraca indica in Mumbai

Dinesh Valke

Dec 4, 2011, 11:22:27 PM12/4/11
to efloraofindia
Saraca indica L.

  • ¿ sah-RAH-ka ? -- derivation obscure
    IN-dih-kuh or in-DEE-kuh of or from India

Osoko (in Oriya)
Jan 20, 2008 ... at Veermata Jeejabai Bhosale Udyan, Mumbai

commonly known as: Sita Ashok, sorrowless tree • Bengali: অশোক asoka • Gujarati: અશોક ashoka, અશોપાલવ ashopalava • Hindi: अशोक ashok • Kannada: ಅಶೋಕ ashoka • Konkani: अशोक ashok • Malayalam: അശോകം asokam, ഹെമപുഷ്പം hemapushpam • Marathi: अशोक ashok, jasundi • Oriya: osoko • Sanskrit: अशोक ashoka • Tamil: அசோகம் acokam • Telugu: అశోకము asokamu

Native to: India, Myanmar and Malaya

more views:
  • Jan 20, 2008 ... at Veermata Jeejabai Bhosale Udyan, Mumbai
    Sita Ashok (Hindi: सिता अशोक) Sorrowless tree Asokamu (Telugu: అశోకము) Asoka (Bengali: অশোক)
  • Dec 8, 2007 ... at Sagar Upvan, Colaba, Mumbai
    Handkerchief Tree
  • Mar 11, 2007 ... at Chota Kashmir, Aarey Milk Colony, Mumbai
    Handkerchief Tree
  • May 9, 2010 ... at Veermata Jeejabai Bhosale Udyan, Mumbai
    Ashok (Marathi: अशोक) Sita Ashok

Regards.
Dinesh
4591876281_a708ef7a78.jpg
423973457_1dc20f9029.jpg
2095638102_2de0724208.jpg
2208887597_5bd5cecdd4.jpg
2209484264_ab06c8ce40.jpg
2209582218_40983f53d7.jpg
2209585106_6840d5c1cb.jpg
2209868058_7b7766fd8c.jpg
4591871955_e7da200df6.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 5, 2011, 1:39:09 AM12/5/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Nice photographs Dinesh ji

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Satish Phadke

Dec 7, 2011, 10:26:36 AM12/7/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
One interesting fact for those who are not aware.
THE TREE HAS NO PETALS. WHAT WE SEE HERE ARE BEAUTIFULLY COLOURED SEPALS.

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Dr Satish Phadke

Dinesh Valke

Dec 10, 2011, 2:35:19 AM12/10/11
to Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Dear friends,
Thanking Gurcharan ji for bringing up Saraca asoca and Saraca indica at https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/indiantreepix/KgjiUoJP2Zw
Earlier Garg ji too had queried to know which among these is our native ... at https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/indiantreepix/eIGV_ch2MSA
FOI too has Saraca asoca ... http://www.flowersofindia.in/catalog/slides/Sita%20Ashok.html

Thus realizing my mistake in this post.
Please read the ID of the plants posted as:
Saraca asoca (Roxb.) W. J. de Wilde, Blumea 15:393. 1968
Synonyms: Jonesia asoca Roxb.; Saraca indica auct. (non L.); Baker in Fl. Brit. Ind. 2: 271, 1878

Will correct my notes at my flickr photostream at the earliest.

Regards.
Dinesh

Madhuri Raut

Dec 10, 2011, 3:41:49 AM12/10/11
to Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Beautiful pics Dinesh ji.
Thank you Satish ji for the info . So far I was thinking that they are petals
--
Regards
Dr.Bhagyashri Ranade

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 10, 2011, 4:41:28 AM12/10/11
to Madhuri Raut, Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Saraca asoca till we find differences between Saraca indica L. and Saraca asoka