Solanaceae week:: Solanum anguivi

Satish Phadke

Apr 6, 2011, 11:24:30 AM4/6/11
to indiantreepix
Solanum anguivi
This is commonly observed in western ghats post monsoon.
This picture is from Amboli.
Dr Phadke

Satish Phadke

Apr 6, 2011, 11:25:41 AM4/6/11
to indiantreepix
With the attachment now.
Solanum anguivi2.jpg
Solanum anguivi1.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 6, 2011, 12:35:30 PM4/6/11
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Satish ji
I think there is some confusion concerning the identity of S. anguivi. Perhaps these links should help as S. anguivi is supposed to have many flowered infl, smaller flowers and fruits in clusters:

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

J.M. Garg

Jul 15, 2011, 4:25:12 AM7/15/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, dinesh...@gmail.com, pka...@gmail.com, le...@rediffmail.com, rajde...@gmail.com, satishp...@gmail.com, drsmp...@gmail.com, anala...@gmail.com, swee...@gmail.com, nudra...@gmail.com, tcha...@gmail.com, drneil...@yahoo.com, raani...@gmail.com, Plumbago...@gmail.com, hems...@gmail.com, devar...@gmail.com, sheeta...@gmail.com, kawale...@gmail.com

Some earlier relevant feedback:

http://database.prota.org/PROTAhtml/Solanum%20anguivi_En.htm
--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh"

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1630 members & 73,000 messages on 30/6/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5000 species)

Solanum anguivi2.jpg
Solanum anguivi1.jpg

J.M. Garg

Oct 28, 2011, 3:50:07 AM10/28/11
to efloraofindia, le...@rediffmail.com, drsmp...@gmail.com, tcha...@gmail.com, ajinky...@gmail.com, agasti...@yahoo.co.in, aparna...@gmail.com, raani...@gmail.com, neha.v...@gmail.com, rahu...@gmail.com, Plumbago...@gmail.com, mohina...@gmail.com, satish...@yahoo.com, iti...@gmail.com, skarthi...@gmail.com, kam...@gmail.com, Gurcharan Singh

http://www.zimbabweflora.co.zw/speciesdata/species.php?species_id=150600
http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/new/Sorting/CATALOGUE/Pt1-African-eggplants.html#Solanum-anguivi
--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh"

Oct 28, 2011, 4:35:40 AM10/28/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, le...@rediffmail.com, drsmp...@gmail.com, tcha...@gmail.com, ajinky...@gmail.com, agasti...@yahoo.co.in, aparna...@gmail.com, raani...@gmail.com, neha.v...@gmail.com, rahu...@gmail.com, Plumbago...@gmail.com, mohina...@gmail.com, satish...@yahoo.com, iti...@gmail.com, skarthi...@gmail.com, kam...@gmail.com
I think this should be Slanum violaceum

The plants originally placed in Solanum indicum especially in Indian context are now recognised as at least two distinct species:

Solanum anguiviLeaves elliptic-ovate with 2-4 pairs of lobes, base oblique; flowers in raceme-like cyme, 5-20-fld; corolla 6-12 mm across; white with occasional purple veins on outer surface; berry subglobose, 7-18 mm green or white when young, red when ripe, in clusters of up to 20 fruits.......refer to eFl Pakistan

Solanum violaceum: Leaves sinuate to pinnately lobed, stellately pubescent, densely beneath, unequal at base, nerves with almost straight prickles on both surfaces; corolla blue-purple, 2-2.5 cm across; berry globose, orange, 1 cm across. ....refer to Flora of Ceylone vol. 6 page 378.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 28, 2011, 7:23:19 AM10/28/11
to Yazdy Palia, efloraofindia
Yazdy ji
The fruit size in both species is more or less same, as these plants were earlier all identified under Solanum indicum. Only recently it was recognized that name Solanum indicum is not correct and we have at least two species in India, keyed by me. I am making the change in key:

I think this should be Slanum violaceum

The plants originally placed in Solanum indicum especially in Indian context are now recognised as at least two distinct species:

Solanum anguiviLeaves elliptic-ovate with 2-4 pairs of lobes, base oblique; flowers in raceme-like cyme, 5-20-fld; corolla 6-12 mm across; white with occasional purple veins on outer surface; berry subglobose, 8-11 mm green or white when young, red when ripe, in clusters of up to 20 fruits.......refer to eFl Pakistan

Solanum violaceum: Leaves sinuate to pinnately lobed, stellately pubescent, densely beneath, unequal at base, nerves with almost straight prickles on both surfaces; corolla blue-purple, 2-2.5 cm across; berry globose, orange, 1 cm across. ....refer to Flora of Ceylone vol. 6 page 378.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 4:44 PM, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes Yazdy ji
It is typing mistake on my part, 8-10 mm should be the right size

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Yazdy Palia <yazdy...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dr. Gurcharan Singhji
There may be some mistake in the berry size of Solanum anguivi. 7 mm
may be ok but 18 mm in size seems to be incorrect. Last year there was
a discussion on this, when I had submitted pictures of the plant,
flowers and berries.
I agree with you, the picture in question here may not be S anguivi as
the colour of the leaves is different. The size of the fruit however
looks like S. anguivi.
Regards
Yazdy.

Yazdy Palia

Oct 28, 2011, 8:11:17 AM10/28/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you so much Dr. Gurcharan Singh ji.
Regards
Yazdy.

JM Garg

Mar 25, 2023, 3:39:04 AM3/25/23
to efloraofindia, DineshValke, Satish Phadke, GurcharanSingh
Taking it as Solanum hovei as per discussions and differences at Kas Week :: DV :: 19 OCT 07 - 1120 :: Solanum lasiocarpum