Fabaceae-Faboideae (Papilionaceae) Week :: Canavalia ensiformis along Ghodbunder Road

Dinesh Valke

Nov 6, 2011, 2:23:05 PM11/6/11
to efloraofindia
Canavalia ensiformis (L.) DC.

  • kan-uh-VAY-lee-uh -- Latinized form of the Malabar vernacular kanavali
    en-see-FORM-iss -- sword- (or lance-) shaped

Canavalia ensiformis
Nov 11, 2007 ... along Ghodbunder Road near Gaimukh, Thane, Maharashtra

commonly known as: jack bean, sword bean, wonder bean • Hindi: bara sem, makham sem • Kannada: kaadu avare balli, thamate balli • Marathi: अबई abai • Tamil: காட்டுத்தம்பட்டன் kattu-t-tampattan, thambattai, வாளவரை valavarai • Telugu: karu tamma, putta tamba, చమ్మకాయ tsamma kaya, tumbettan-kaya

some views:
  • Nov 11, 2007 ... along Ghodbunder Road near Gaimukh, Thane, Maharashtra
    Wonder Bean plant Abai (Marathi: अबई) Tsamma Kaya (Telugu: చమ్మకాయ)

Dear friends, embedded images attached for the benefit of those who are unable to view them among contents above.

Regards.
Dinesh
1964592634_b98684f8fc.jpg
1963737455_4df6cfbaa8.jpg
1964527610_81e6c2cbe9.jpg
1964546544_c42c5fe058.jpg

Balkar Singh

Nov 6, 2011, 9:26:05 PM11/6/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Nice Set of Pics Dinesh Ji
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Satish Phadke

Nov 7, 2011, 6:10:50 AM11/7/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Good one again
Here the leaflets would be obtuse to acute.(Seen here) Hilum less than half as long as the seed which is ivory or white 22 mm long

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 12:53 AM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Dr Satish Phadke

J.M. Garg

Feb 11, 2017, 7:55:37 AM2/11/17
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke
Hi, Dinesh ji,
I could not find any keys for Indian species on net except at Flora of China.
These take me to Canavalia cathartica Thouars for your species.
I want to have your & others views before final decision.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2700 members & 2,40,000 messages on 31.3.16) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,20,000 images).

1964592634_b98684f8fc.jpg
1963737455_4df6cfbaa8.jpg
1964527610_81e6c2cbe9.jpg
1964546544_c42c5fe058.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Feb 7, 2020, 6:44:15 AM2/7/20
to efloraofindia
Hi Garg ji,
I am skeptical of my ID in this post. This could be the common canavalia - Canavalia gladiata OR Canavalia cathartica - I am not sure, because we need to have their pods to ascertain ID.
Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Feb 7, 2020, 10:03:27 AM2/7/20
to efloraofindia, DineshValke
More like C. cathartica as leaf apex is acute and not acuminate as in C. gladiata and upper lip of the calyx appears to be smaller than calyx tube (so not ensiformis).
--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Dinesh Valke