Asteraceae Fortnight Part 3-Ligulate heads (plus Misc.): Sonchus riddle cracked? : sk02

surajit koley

Jul 6, 2013, 1:21:57 PM7/6/13
to efloraofindia
This set of photographs is same as in - https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!topic/indiantreepix/0zsO88myJgE, and it is pending...!

I think peduncles and phyllaries are stipitate glandular (is that what it is called?).

If yes it should be Sonchus arvensis L. ssp. arvensis.

Thank you
Regards
DSCN8742.jpg
DSCN8766.jpg
DSCN8768.jpg
DSCN8771.jpg
DSCN8784.jpg
DSCN8743.jpg
DSCN8747.jpg
DSCN8748.jpg
DSCN8749.jpg
DSCN8750.jpg
DSCN8754.jpg
DSCN8759.jpg
DSCN8765.jpg

Mahadeswara

Jul 6, 2013, 11:56:18 PM7/6/13
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Excellent photographs and presentation.

surajitkoley

Jul 7, 2013, 1:04:16 PM7/7/13
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Mahadeswara
Thank you very much Sir.

Regards,
surajit

D.S Rawat

Jul 8, 2013, 2:42:55 AM7/8/13
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Surjit ji
Attaching account of all Sonchus species of India in Flora of India vol-5 (Asteraceae) by Botanical Survey of India.
Hope it will be useful for identification of Sonchus in your area.
DSRawat Pantnagar

On Saturday, July 6, 2013 10:51:57 PM UTC+5:30, surajitkoley wrote:
S-1.JPG
S-2.JPG
S-3.JPG
S-4.JPG
S-5.JPG
S-6.JPG
S-7.JPG

surajit koley

Jul 8, 2013, 2:26:25 PM7/8/13
to D.S Rawat, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much Rawat Sir.

The attached files inform me that there is no S. arvensis L. in India.
Instead it will be S. arvensis auct. non L. (S. wightianus DC.); and this very much echoes FoC. In that case it will be S. wightianus ssp. wightianus.

However, this plant is -
  1. S.orixensis Roxb. in FI.iii.402
  2. S. arvensis L. in FBI.iii.414
  3. S. arvensis L. in Bengal Plants.i.629
  4. S. arvensis L. in The Botany of Bihar and Orissa
  5. links of all above - http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/name/Sonchus_orixensis
Thank you once again

Regards
surajit

J.M. Garg

Jul 13, 2013, 6:52:33 AM7/13/13
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale, Satish Phadke, Nidhan Singh, D.S Rawat, Vijayasankar Raman, satish pardeshi, Balkar Singh, Dr. Santhosh Kumar, surajit koley

Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter please.

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world): http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 2135 members & 1,59,000 messages on 30/6/13) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 8500 species).

surajit koley

Jul 13, 2013, 12:14:55 PM7/13/13
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale, Satish Phadke, Nidhan Singh, D.S Rawat, Vijayasankar Raman, satish pardeshi, Balkar Singh, Dr. Santhosh Kumar
Garg Sir,

The problem is resolved.
There is no S. arvensis L. in India.

Thank you,
Regards,
surajit

J.M. Garg

Jul 14, 2013, 12:55:21 AM7/14/13
to surajit koley, efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale, Satish Phadke, Nidhan Singh, D.S Rawat, Vijayasankar Raman, satish pardeshi, Balkar Singh, Dr. Santhosh Kumar
Thanks, Surajit ji,
That means we should move efi page Sonchus arvensis to S. wightianus DC.

surajit koley

Jul 16, 2013, 11:12:26 AM7/16/13
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale, Satish Phadke, Nidhan Singh, D.S Rawat, Vijayasankar Raman, satish pardeshi, Balkar Singh, Dr. Santhosh Kumar
Yes, Garg Sir, as per BSI docs S. wightianus DC. is the safest option.
Same applies to remaining two threads relating to this plant.

Thank you very much

Regards,
surajit