Euphorbia, Kalli

OZmic

May 26, 2012, 3:50:45 AM5/26/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
Some postings were referring to "Kalli" a while back, stating that it is a name used for many plants including several genera. I have tried to sort one genus: Euphorbia. "Kalli" is indeed part of the names for most species but as I have pointed out before the significant word is not "Kalli" but what is attached to it: the epithet.
For those interested I have integrated all comments into this page. Please let me know if I have forgotten a comment of yours. It is by no means completed so if you know of a scripted name matching a romanized version of it, please post it on this forum.
http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/Sorting/Euphorbia.html
It is not all "gospel", so please point out the spelling mistakes as well.
Finally if you know how to quote the string of postings related to this topic, please let me know.
Thanks
Mic

Vijayasankar

May 28, 2012, 2:38:50 AM5/28/12
to OZmic, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mic

I have tried to provide Tamil transcriptions for some of the existing names:

Euphorbia antisyphilitica Zucc. TAMIL :  Meḻuku kaḷḷi = மெழுகு கள்ளி
Euphorbia bracteata Jacq. TAMIL :  Mathil kaḷḷi = மதில் கள்ளி, Vēli kaḷḷi = வேலி கள்ளி
Euphorbia cristata Heyne ex Roth TAMIL :  Vayalammāṉ pachaṟisi = வயல் அம்மான்பச்சரிசி
Euphorbia dracunculoides Lam. TAMIL :  Peṟum pāl peṟukki = பெரும் பால்பெருக்கி
Euphorbia granulata Forssk. TAMIL :  Sitrammān pachaṟisi = சிற்றம்மான் பச்சரிசி
Euphorbia hirta L. TAMIL : Ammāṉ pachchaṟisi = அம்மான்பச்சரிசி
Euphorbia hypericifolia L. TAMIL :  Sinnmmān pachchaṟisi = சின்னம்மான் பச்சரிசி
Euphorbia indica Lam.  TAMIL :  Veḷḷai ammāāṉ pachchaṟisi = வெள்ளை அம்மான்பச்சரிசி
Euphorbia leucocephala Lotsy TAMIL :  Veṇ paṉi kaḷḷi = வெண் பனி கள்ளி
Euphorbia milii  Des Moul. TAMIL :  Ainkōṇa kaḷḷi = ஐங்கோண கள்ளி
Euphorbia milii  Des Moul. var. splendens ... TAMIL :  Kṟeeda kaḷḷi = கிரீட கள்ளி
Euphorbia nivulia Buch.-Ham. TAMIL :  Maṇcevikkaḷḷi -->the existing மண்செவிக்கள்ளி may be an incorrect transcription. It probably be மான் செவிக்கள்ளி meaning 'deer's ears' in allusion to the shape of leaf.
Euphorbia parviflora L. TAMIL :  Peṟiyammān pachchaṟisi =  பெரியம்மான் பச்சரிசி
Euphorbia pulcherrima Willd. ex Klotzsch. TAMIL : Mayil kaḷḷi = மயில் கள்ளி, Poo kaḷḷi = பூ கள்ளி
Euphorbia rosea Retz. TAMIL :  Sivappammāṉ pachaṟisi = சிவப்பம்மான் பச்சரிசி
Euphorbia rothiana Spreng. TAMIL :  Kāṉal kaḷḷi = கானல் கள்ளி, Malai kaḷḷi = மலை கள்ளி
Euphorbia spinosa L. TAMIL :  Mud kaḷḷi = முட்கள்ளி
Euphorbia tithymaloides L. TAMIL :  Kaṇṇādi kaḷḷi = கண்ணாடி கள்ளி
Euphorbia tortilis Rottler ex Ainslie TAMIL :  Idampuṟi kaḷḷi = இடம்புரி கள்ளி, Thiṟuku kaḷḷi = திருகு கள்ளி
Euphorbia triangularis Desf. ex A. Berger  TAMIL :  Āttrang kaḷḷi = ஆற்றங்கள்ளி
Euphorbia trigona Mill. TAMIL :  Mukkōṇa kaḷḷi = முக்கோண கள்ளி, Palkalli = பால் கள்ளி

Hope it helps...

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Dinesh Valke

May 28, 2012, 3:26:07 AM5/28/12
to Vijayasankar, OZmic, indian...@googlegroups.com
Many many thanks, Vijayasankar ji ... this data helps me too.
Regards.
Dinesh

Chitra Shanker

May 28, 2012, 3:26:12 AM5/28/12
to OZmic, indian...@googlegroups.com
Kalli is a word in tamil generally used for plants that are cacti or more Xerophytes.

Chitra

Chitra Shanker

May 28, 2012, 3:28:50 AM5/28/12
to Vijayasankar, OZmic, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thats a very good compilation. thankx for the info

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Vijayasankar <vijay.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Dr. Chitra Shanker
Sr. Scientist (Entomology)

Dinesh Valke

May 28, 2012, 4:26:41 AM5/28/12
to OZmic, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mic,

Discussing: "Finally if you know how to quote the string of postings related to this topic, please let me know."

  1. Go to efloraofindia discussion page at https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!forum/indiantreepix
  2. Get to your post. To do so:
    • Type words from the subject line of your post in the search box ... Euphorbia, Kalli ... click the Search button
    • From the set of search results, find your post ... click on it
    • Your post gets displayed. Use scroll bar if necessary to reach the top end.
    • Notice at the right top some set of buttons and icons, among which you would see "Overview", "Discussion", etc.
  3. Ensure you are viewing the thread in "Discussion" mode by clicking on "Discussion" button.
    • At this point, you are seeing your post along with stack of response(s), perhaps most of them in collapsed state.
    • Try clicking on post / response(s) in the stack - it changes their state from: collapsed to expanded OR vice-versa.
  4. Get to any response that is of your interest
    • View it in the expanded state.
    • Within this section, at its top - extreme right, you will find a pair of buttons, one of which is Post reply, the other one a tiny down pointing arrow.
    • Try clicking on this down pointing arrow.
    • It throws open a list of actions.
    • Notice "Link" among them.
  5. This "Link" is what you require.
    • Clicking on "Link" throws a small window with a string of letters (the link to this post)
  6. Copy it, and paste it where required.

At 4th point, if you were to select your own (original) post, the link associated would be for the entire thread.
Hope this was what you were looking for.

Regards.
Dinesh.

OZmic

May 28, 2012, 5:53:58 AM5/28/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, OZmic
Thank you to all respondents. I have made all the corrections and additions. We still need some Gujarati, Malayalam, Oriya and Telugu names. Any volunteer? It is already very good as it stands but some added scripted names in those languages would make it great.
Thanks Dinesh for your tips.