Hooghly-sept-sk02 : unidentified mushroom, seemingly non-edible

surajit koley

Sep 17, 2014, 1:45:55 AM9/17/14
to efloraofindia
Photographed today (17-Sept-2014) this mushroom grows every year at the same place and very similar fashion. This time one of those takes a gigantic size. I have earlier post of this one, yet to be resolved, but I fail to find the thread right now.

Thank you
Regards

P1110844.jpg
P1110847.jpg
P1110849.jpg
P1110850.jpg
P1110852.jpg
P1110854.jpg
P1110855.jpg
P1110856.jpg

J.M. Garg

Sep 21, 2014, 8:34:49 AM9/21/14
to efloraofindia, surajit koley
Forwarding again for Id assistance please

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

P1110844.jpg
P1110847.jpg
P1110849.jpg
P1110850.jpg
P1110852.jpg
P1110854.jpg
P1110855.jpg
P1110856.jpg

Ushadi Micromini

Sep 21, 2014, 9:20:19 AM9/21/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, surajit koley
oyster mushrooms

if thats correct id then.. i think the spores flew out of the culturing facilities which often are bathrooms and other wet dark extra rooms in bengal households. A few years ago there was a lot of  educational grants given to NGOs  to teach poor families to grow them to supplement their income.

search google for "Oyster mushroom in cultivation" and you'll see pictures showing not only the shelf like form but also longer stalked ones.

older ones get a bit darker/browner.

usha di
Usha di
===========

Nabha Meghani

Sep 21, 2014, 10:47:08 AM9/21/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, surajit koley
From family Clitocybe
But in
Clitocybe there are so many varieties, that ist is difficult to identify.
I thought of Clitocybe maxima, but am not so sure.Surajit ji,
you have made fotos from all sides of the mushrooms, that is how fotos should be sent for id.

some more information is helpful. For example, break the cap, the stem and watch if it changes the color.
Also helpful to know, where the mushrooms are growing, under or near a perticular tree, darker place or open land.
Also if you can smell it, and what sort of smell good / bad / pungent.

But sorry i don't have a clue, what this mushroom could be.
Regards
Nalini

surajit koley

Sep 21, 2014, 11:31:47 AM9/21/14
to Nabha Meghani, Ushadi Micromini, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you Nabha Ji, Usha Di, I could find the earlier post I submitted in 2013 - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/indiantreepix/TDZN4090q1A/EXv4aIc7bUIJ

A similar looking mushroom was identified as Lentinus squarrosulus Mont. in https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/indiantreepix/iB3g5oG7Gok

"Edible Mushroom of Bengal", a booklet in Bengali, informs Pleurotus squarrosulus (Mont.) Sing can be found in Midnapore, 24-parganas, Bankura and Burdwan Districts. I do not know if it can be found in Hooghly also. Else the habit, described in the book, I think matches perfectly.

Regards

surajit

Ushadi Micromini

Sep 22, 2014, 4:32:00 AM9/22/14
to surajit koley, Nabha Meghani, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
look at this Surajit
some of the growers are right there in your neighborhood...
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1140117/jsp/howrah/story_17830304.jsp

--
Usha di
===========

Ushadi Micromini

Sep 22, 2014, 4:34:07 AM9/22/14
to surajit koley, Nabha Meghani, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
sorry forgot to include this...
this guy ran into the mushrooms like you did...
http://hikersnotebook.net/Oyster+Mushroom
--
Usha di
===========

surajit koley

Sep 22, 2014, 11:38:34 AM9/22/14
to Ushadi Micromini, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Didi,

Udaynarayanpur is in Howrah, about 40 km from my place. However, I am familiar with the mushroom displayed in the last pic down the webpage. The one in this thread is some other species.

Thank you

Regards

surajit koley

Sep 22, 2014, 11:46:03 AM9/22/14
to Ushadi Micromini, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Didi, again the photograph in the second link seems to be different mushroom. The stipe in my species is attached at the middle/centre of the cap.

Thank you and regards

Ushadi Micromini

Sep 22, 2014, 1:11:13 PM9/22/14
to surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Surajit

so what do you think it is?
you have had a lot of time to do search and think...so far...

AND..
I agree ID of mushrooms can be quite tricky, that's why on hiking trails to learn about mushrooms in USA and Europe one is always warned not to eat anything unless an expert identifies a mushroom, things that look alike may not be really the same...

hope we have mushroom expert or two who can id your mushroom from pic...
oyster mushrooms also need to be crushed and smelled if I am not mistaken and plucked and observed  for other features.

Oyster mushrooms aslo have different forms as it emeeges lateraally from a dead wood or in case of culture for selling from the plastic bag holes or the hay bundle, then as it grows slowly developes a stalk ...

etc etc

usha di
--
Usha di
===========

surajit koley

Sep 22, 2014, 10:30:08 PM9/22/14
to Ushadi Micromini, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Good morning Didi

This mushroom isn't as fleshy as the one in my another post or the one in The Telegraph article. The one in that article is grown in places in Hooghly, though I haven't visited any growing site, I ate a number of times.

This mushroom rather fits the description of P. squarrosulus - "grows in community on decayed trunk in villages during rainy season..... since they are not fleshy they have a little or no preference on dinner table."

But it can be Clitocybe as suggested by Nalini Ji, for images found look similar and Clitocybe geotropa is found in WB as per articles found in the net..... but I am not sure.

Thank you
Regards

surajit koley

Sep 23, 2014, 12:24:52 AM9/23/14
to Na Bha, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Ushadi Micromini
Madam,

This is the current state, after a heavy rain during the past two days, of this mushroom. It grows on a trunk remnant of a mango tree. This mushroom has no particular smell. This time I have noted a central fleshy axis inside the stipe.

Thank you very much
Regards
P1110918.jpg
P1110919.jpg
P1110922.jpg

Ushadi Micromini

Sep 24, 2014, 1:40:52 PM9/24/14
to surajit koley, Na Bha, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
well
Surajit
this new set of pictures is definitely not oyster mushrooms

usha di
--
Usha di
===========

surajit koley

Sep 24, 2014, 9:47:29 PM9/24/14
to Ushadi Micromini, Na Bha, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Good morning and thank you Didi.

Regards

Nabha Meghani

Sep 25, 2014, 6:04:25 AM9/25/14
to Ushadi Micromini, surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
I still feel it is NOT oyster but Clitocybe.

Am 24.09.2014 19:40, schrieb Ushadi Micromini:
well
Surajit
this new set of pictures is definitely not  mushrooms

usha di

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 7:59 AM, surajit koley <surajitno...@gmail.com> wrote:
Good morning Didi

This mushroom isn't as fleshy as the one in my another post or the one in The Telegraph article. The one in that article is grown in places in Hooghly, though I haven't visited any growing site, I ate a number of times.

This mushroom rather fits the description of P. squarrosulus - "grows in community on decayed trunk in villages during rainy season..... since they are not fleshy they have a little or no preference on dinner table."

But it can be  as suggested by Nalini Ji, for images found look similar and Clitocybe geotropa is found in WB as per articles found in the net..... but I am not sure.

Thank you
Regards

--
Usha di
===========

surajit koley

Sep 25, 2014, 12:24:09 PM9/25/14
to Nabha Meghani, Ushadi Micromini, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Madam, I save it as Clitocybe sp.

Regards

J.M. Garg

Mar 31, 2019, 6:12:14 AM3/31/19
to efloraofindia, nabha meghani
I think more close to images at Lentinus squarrosulus Mont.

Photographed today (17-Sept-2014) this mushroom grows every year at the same place and very similar fashion. This time one of those takes a gigantic size. I have earlier post of this one, yet to be resolved, but I fail to find the thread right now.

Thank you
Regards

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2975 members & 3,00,000 messages on 25.7.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 12,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which 1,00,000 are directly displayed).

P1110844.jpg
P1110847.jpg
P1110849.jpg
P1110850.jpg