Herb near Pandav Falls for ID :: 15 SEP 13 :: DV

Dinesh Valke

Sep 30, 2013, 12:48:18 AM9/30/13
to efloraofindia

Panna National Park
Panna National Park ... about 500 - 1800 ft asl
Date / Time: 15 SEP 13 at 02:06 PM ... Altitude: about 842 ft asl

ID please ... (family: ?)

Dear friends, to me this is a new plant and find it interesting.

Habit: herb, standing about 40 - 60 cm, including the 5 - 10 cm long inflorescence at the end.
Habitat: on slope, semi-evergreen patch of forest, moist due to rivulet flowing nearby
The flower is about 3 - 5 mm across.
... pending for ID

... pending for ID

... pending for ID

... pending for ID

... pending for ID

... pending for ID

... pending for ID

... pending for ID
... this place is a popular sight-seeing spot - the Pandav Falls.
Pandav Falls

... at Pandav Falls
Regards.
Dinesh

harithasandhya

Sep 30, 2013, 3:02:16 AM9/30/13
to indian...@googlegroups.com

            Thank you Dinesh ji for the amazing pictures. New plant for me too.
            And a special thanks for sharing the landscape pictures.
            Regards,
            Sandhya

Dinesh Valke

Sep 30, 2013, 4:11:13 AM9/30/13
to harithasandhya, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Sandhya ji for the appreciation.
Regards.
Dinesh

Nidhan Singh

Sep 30, 2013, 4:22:14 AM9/30/13
to Dinesh Valke, harithasandhya, efloraofindia
Nice pictures Dinesh Ji...for me this is Pupalia lappacea Amaranthaceae, the landscape pics are also very fine...
--
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Assistant Professor
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

Dinesh Valke

Sep 30, 2013, 4:40:52 AM9/30/13
to Nidhan Singh, vip...@gmail.com, harithasandhya, efloraofindia
Thank you very very much Nidhan ji for this ID. Great help.

Here are the names for this plant that I compiled earlier ...

... creeping cock's comb, forest burr • Gujarati: gadar bhurat • Hindi: नागदमनी nagadamani • Kannada: ಅಂಟುಪುರುಲೆ ಗಿಡ antupurule gida • Konkani: sitya kurdi • Malayalam: പൂപ്പാൽവള്ളി pupalvalli • Tamil: ஒட்டொட்டி ottotti • Telugu: ఎర్ర ఉత్తరేణి erra uttareni, తెల్ల ఉత్తరేణి tella uttareni

Calling Viplav ji to validate the Gujarati name - gadar bhurat; and to provide it in native script.

Regards.
Dinesh

Nayan Singh

Sep 30, 2013, 12:13:38 PM9/30/13
to Nidhan Singh, Dinesh Valke, harithasandhya, efloraofindia
yes Nidhan Singh ji is right, It is Pupalia lappacea

Regards
Nayan.
N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests (NPV)
Satpura Bhawan
Arera Hills
Madhya Pradesh
Mo - 09424790074

Sep 30, 2013, 12:57:23 PM9/30/13
to Nayan Singh, Nidhan Singh, harithasandhya, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Nayan ji for seconding Nidhan ji;s ID.
Regards.
Dinesh

Sushant More

Sep 30, 2013, 1:12:22 PM9/30/13
to Dinesh Valke, Nayan Singh, Nidhan Singh, harithasandhya, efloraofindia
Wow beautyfull new looking plant thanks dinesh sir
Sushant More
Student

vip...@gmail.com

Oct 1, 2013, 9:16:36 AM10/1/13
to Dinesh Valke, Nidhan Singh, harithasandhya, efloraofindia
Hi Dinesh ji,

In fact, the common name ગડર ભુરટ - gadar bhurat - is the Kachchhi name of this plant. In Gujarati, it is known as ગાડર ઝીપટો - gādar jhipato - owing to the tendency of the fruit to cling on to the fur of passing sheep [ગાડર].

Best wishes, Viplav

Dinesh Valke

Oct 1, 2013, 9:21:12 AM10/1/13
to vip...@gmail.com, Nidhan Singh, harithasandhya, efloraofindia
Fantastic help and information, Viplav ji. Thank you very very much.
Regards.
Dinesh

Giby Kuriakose

Oct 2, 2013, 4:21:01 AM10/2/13
to Dinesh Valke, vip...@gmail.com, Nidhan Singh, harithasandhya, efloraofindia
Good Pictures!
Thanks for sharing.

Regards
Giby

GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Assistant Professor
PG and Research Department of Botany
Sacred Heart College
Thevara
Kochi- 682 013
Kerala, India
Phone - +914844044436 (office) +919947109987 (Mobile)

Dinesh Valke

Oct 2, 2013, 11:01:58 AM10/2/13
to Giby Kuriakose, vip...@gmail.com, Nidhan Singh, harithasandhya, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Giby ji for the appreciation.
Regards.
Dinesh