Capparis moonii

Rashida Atthar

Oct 3, 2010, 8:06:02 AM10/3/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Saw the fruit of Capparis moonii last week at Amboli, Maharashtra.

regards,
Rashida.

Rashida Atthar

Oct 3, 2010, 9:11:48 AM10/3/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Sorry, here's the attachment.
Capparis moonii.JPG

mani nair

Oct 3, 2010, 9:25:52 AM10/3/10
to Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Rashida ji, nice photo of the fruit.  Is it edible?
Regards,
Mani

Neil Soares

Oct 3, 2010, 1:06:34 PM10/3/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Rashida Atthar
Hi Rashida,
  This does not look like Capparis moonii. Please check.
                        Regards,
                          Neil.

arvind kadus

Oct 4, 2010, 5:53:29 AM10/4/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, neil soares, Rashida Atthar
Hi Rashida Ji,
  I think this is Capparis moonii. Here is from me too. Looks same.
Dr.Kadus Arvind,Pune.

Capparis moonii 1.JPG

shobha chavda

Oct 4, 2010, 9:18:13 AM10/4/10
to efloraofindia
Hi Rashida,
I had gone to Amboli in last week of August and have photographed
Capparis moonii near Hiranyakeshi river's temple.Is it the same spot?
In fact I had posted the photos on 10th Sept.for id confirmation.You
can see them.We call it "वाघाटी" in Marathi.
Shobha
>  Capparis moonii 1.JPG
> 226KViewDownload

Rashida Atthar

Oct 4, 2010, 10:46:30 AM10/4/10
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Neil the ID was given Dr. Almeida himself ! The local name is Garab dudi.

regards,
Rashida.

Rashida Atthar

Oct 4, 2010, 11:17:04 AM10/4/10
to arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com, neil soares
Thanks Arvind ji. Looks same to me too.

regards,
Rashida.

Rashida Atthar

Oct 4, 2010, 11:21:21 AM10/4/10
to shobha chavda, efloraofindia
Shobha ji, the place is not the same, the one I saw was near an open ground with several Eriocaulons, Utricularias on one side, and several trees on the other side!  Yes your common is also mentioned, other common name is Garab dudhi.

regards,
Rashida.

Rashida Atthar

Oct 4, 2010, 11:31:09 AM10/4/10
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mani ji. We were informed that there is some medicinal use of the plant. Moonii is the name of a Botanist from Ceylon.

regards,
Rashida.

Neil Soares

Oct 4, 2010, 12:55:49 PM10/4/10
to Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rashida,
   Fair enough, but am afraid I am not entirely convinced - the fruit and leaves don't look large enough to me to be C.moonii. Also Dinesh will remember I had to apologise to him because Dr.Almeida had on my farm initially identified C.zeylanica as C.moonii, but later changed his opinion.
                    Regards,
                      Neil.

Rashida Atthar

Oct 5, 2010, 11:17:50 AM10/5/10
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Neil please check vol I pg 46: For C.moonii the petioles size - 1.2 - 2 cm, fruit size- 5-10 cm in diam., subglobose, pointed, seated on the much thickened woody stalk, callous tip of leaves and stipular  thorns short. stout , hooked ( this is very faintly seen in one of my pics) makes me believe this to be C. moonii only.

On pg 50 C. zeylanica is  described - petiole size is 6mm, fruit size -subglobose , 3 cm in diam. on a greatly thickened stalk, obtusely four angled, red-brown.

The petioles as seen are between 1.2 - 2 cm, fruit seem to be larger than 3 cm, to me it looks like between 5 to 6 cm diam., and the four angled fruit stalk is not seen. Attaching one more pic. but of course further verification  needs to be done.

regards,
Rashida.
Capparis moonii fruit.JPG