Full Disclosure Time

Journeyman

Apr 13, 2013, 12:17:02 PM4/13/13
to Incursion
Hi, everyone,

I have some news that I know is going to disappoint people in this
community, but I wanted to be honest about it.

Since just before Christmas 2012, I have been working on a
different project unrelated to Incursion in either its tabletop RPG
or roguelike game forms. My new project is a post-apocalyptic
tabletop game; I don't want to talk about too much yet because
I have nothing to show, I'm not sure if I'll be releasing it under
my real name and it's not especially relevant to this community.
It was supposed to be a brief diversion after which I would
return to Incursion, but has grown far more substantial at this
point (though it is still far more finite and contained than the
elaborate design for Incursion had become).

This is something which kind of grabbed my attention and
inspired me, and I have neglected to look at this forum as a
result. I saw the discussion here about status when I re-
approved Thrydon, and I felt obligated to say something as
this has gone on too long.

Incursion is a huge, huge project with a vast amount of
labor invested. At the same time, it is not currently in a
playable state as either a tabletop RPG or a roguelike
computer game, and there's a lot of work before it will get
there. I'm not "abandoning" it, and I'm not releasing the
sources -- but I also haven't been actively developing it
for about four months now, and I wanted to be honest with
people about that.

When will new Incursion come? I don't know. At this
point, maybe some years in the future -- or maybe never.
It's far too much an investment of labor for me to want
to throw it away, but it's status for now is "shelved". I know
that will disappoint people, and I'm sorry. I'm not really
able to work in things in my spare time when other,
different things have my interest far more strongly, and
that's my situation right now.

It would be best for everyone concerned if people
considered Incursion dead at this point. It's not
precisely true -- I do plan to get back to it someday --
but I don't feel people should be waiting on news for a
game that isn't actively being developed at the moment
and has had a huge amount of time since the last
release.

I want to offer sincere thanks to everyone who
supported the game and showed interest, and I'm
sorry I don't have anything more appealing to tell you.

Best wishes in all things,

-- Julian Mensch

(K)

Apr 13, 2013, 1:34:04 PM4/13/13
to incu...@googlegroups.com
Sad news. Anyway, it's intresting to hear about your other game, if it can be even better, then Incursion, why not.

purplearcanist

Apr 14, 2013, 12:17:20 PM4/14/13
to incu...@googlegroups.com
I was kind of looking forward to it, but oh well.  Hopefully this new tabletop game is awesome.  Let us know where it goes, and if you choose to start doing Incursion again.

TaintedMustard

Apr 14, 2013, 3:39:45 PM4/14/13
to incu...@googlegroups.com
Sure would have been nice to see the source code released. Oh well.

Dan Hoy

Apr 14, 2013, 6:18:30 PM4/14/13
to incu...@googlegroups.com
When you get bored of your tabletop game, you can leave it in an unfinished state as well and then get back to work on Incursion. Best of luck

--

---

Holsety

Apr 15, 2013, 4:00:58 AM4/15/13
to incu...@googlegroups.com
I love Incursion, the roguelike, but what bothers me about it is that it gets notoriously buggy after a certain depth.
Why not release the source code for current Incursion, since you're putting the NEW Incursion on hiatus?
I wouldn't have been pining for NEW Incursion so hard if current Incursion was bug-free.

Daniel Kelly

Apr 15, 2013, 1:58:31 PM4/15/13
to incu...@googlegroups.com
....damn. This is a huge disappointment to me. :( Ah well, hopefully one day Journeyman will return to Incursion. I may be an old man then, but I should be able to still work a keyboard.

Priority7

Apr 15, 2013, 6:54:32 PM4/15/13
to incu...@googlegroups.com
Sad to hear, I saw a lot of promise in Incursion, but I was pretty sure this was coming. Best of luck, Journeyman!

Nils Grunwald

Apr 26, 2013, 7:19:27 AM4/26/13
to incu...@googlegroups.com
Sad news indeed, but thanks for your work and best of luck for your new project!

Stephen Murawski

May 30, 2013, 1:19:41 PM5/30/13
to incu...@googlegroups.com
Upset to finally read this, I was waiting since 2009 to see this message and had much hope as the years past.  But like most things in life that are too good to be true it was fun to get a slight taste of what was once the best RL alive.

Kobrag

Jun 2, 2013, 4:29:00 AM6/2/13
to incu...@googlegroups.com

Sorry it hear that my favourite dungeon crawler, of all time, is being seved for the moment.
however, I sincerely wish you good luck on your current project. :3

freboi

Jun 23, 2013, 9:44:02 PM6/23/13
to incu...@googlegroups.com
Sad :(  I've followed this game since summer of 2007, always hoping for more.  It is probably still my favorite roguelike, although the genre as a whole has improved a surprising amount in the last 6 years.

I definitely understand collapsing under colossal undertakings, I've done it myself.  Becomes harder and harder to motivate oneself.  The honesty is appreciated though.  Hopefully (for us), you return to it sometime.  I for one will definitely keep checking in (as long as we are both alive).