Why is this species ID research grade?

Joseph T Lapp

May 5, 2018, 6:33:59 AM5/5/18
to inatu...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to indicate that this spider cannot be taken to species. The title says that the species Mecaphesa asperata is research grade (see attached), but the community ID says only Mecaphesa.

I registered my ID of Mecaphesa (genus only) and checked the box at the bottom saying that the community ID (genus only) "is as good as it can be."

FYI, I believe myself to be the only researcher actually studying species of this genus found in North America.

~joe
Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 5.27.04 AM.png

Joseph T Lapp

May 5, 2018, 6:34:33 AM5/5/18
to inatu...@googlegroups.com

bouteloua

May 5, 2018, 8:11:06 AM5/5/18
to iNaturalist
Looks like it's ok now due to kiwifergus's additional ID.

Another case of where it would be helpful to search and export by observation ID and Community ID.

When marking community cannot improve for a genus level community ID it should not display "research grade" next to the species name on the observation or in search results.

Joseph T Lapp

May 5, 2018, 10:17:22 AM5/5/18
to inatu...@googlegroups.com
It looks like additional IDs to genus this morning have made the genus Mecaphesa research grade. See photo attached to my original email for a snapshot of the original problem. Thanks y'all!

~joe

Matt Claghorn

May 5, 2018, 10:34:37 AM5/5/18
to iNaturalist
If I understand correctly, the Community ID is what was Research Grade. The name at the top of the observation (which you showed in the screenshot) doesn't always reflect the Community ID currently. Here is an example of this: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/11285071

The name at the top shows Phidippus tyrrellii, but the Community ID shows Phidippus.

bouteloua

May 5, 2018, 1:13:12 PM5/5/18
to iNaturalist
The data export such that it appears it's research grade at species level. It should be excluded from this search but here it is https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?hrank=species&locale=en&preferred_place_id=1&quality_grade=research&subview=grid&taxon_id=227739

Matt Claghorn

May 6, 2018, 1:40:48 PM5/6/18
to iNaturalist
Oh wow yeah, I should have thought to try that. Thanks for clearing that up. I wonder if the CID is meant to be what is RG or not in cases like this then.