adding suitable observation to a conventionnal project.

Yves Bachand

Nov 18, 2018, 1:57:52 PM11/18/18
to iNaturalist
Hi, I checked the following post: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/inaturalist/l3O09UG8QSc/Bgt6_F3XAwAJ.

In the section "project curator tools, I often use the tool" Find suitable observations. Currently, the observations I select are displayed in a different tab (one tab per observation, Google chrome.)

Is there a faster way to add these to a conventional project now (updated)?

Thanks,

Yves.

Chris Cheatle

Nov 18, 2018, 10:22:49 PM11/18/18
to iNaturalist
You can batch add your own observations to a conventional project. Observations from other users can only be added one at a time.

tony rebelo

Nov 19, 2018, 1:38:56 AM11/19/18
to iNaturalist
You are using a conventional project.  Why not upgrade this to a collections project and the observations will be collected automatically?

Alternatively if you wish to keep it to a traditional project, and there are large numbers, you can  use the api's to add them (see https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/api+reference#post-project_observations)

Yves Bachand

Nov 19, 2018, 9:30:25 AM11/19/18
to iNaturalist
Ok. If I would like to work with APIs, how can I do it? On which interface? I'm not too familiar but I'm interested. Now, if I modify the project for a collection project, will the data (localities / dates) be exportable to a GIS app?

Chris Cheatle

Nov 19, 2018, 9:41:09 AM11/19/18
to iNaturalist
To use the API's is not via an interface, you have to write a custom computer program to do it. In a collection project, yes the data is still exportable to load into a gis. However, any obscured observations will export the obscured co-ordinates, not the real ones as you can get in a conventional project.

Yves Bachand

Nov 19, 2018, 9:50:28 AM11/19/18
to iNaturalist
Which program do you recommend?

I'm going to watch all this, and thank you very much Chris and Tony!

Yves.

Chris Cheatle

Nov 19, 2018, 10:00:04 AM11/19/18
to iNaturalist
You don't download or buy a program to do it, you have to write the computer code to do it.

Virtually any programming language can interact with API's, it is just a matter of what one you use. Python, Ruby, Java, C#, even Perl (ugh) all work for it.

tony rebelo

Nov 19, 2018, 2:46:11 PM11/19/18
to iNaturalist

Modern programmes like Python are mindbogglingly efficient.  My problem is that I am too old for it (I still remember DOS). Apart from initialising and error handling code, you could probably do what you want in under 5 lines.  But I use it so seldom it usually takes me days to figure it out.  To be young again!

Yves Bachand

Nov 19, 2018, 3:49:02 PM11/19/18
to inatu...@googlegroups.com
Yes! to be young again :-)