Bug: Adding a subspecies ID does not change the community ID

henry....@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2019, 12:47:34 AM1/3/19
to iNaturalist
Hi

I added a subspecies ID to an observation that only has the one class level ID from the original observer.

However, afterwards the Community ID does not change to the subspecies but stays at the class.

Capture.PNG

To test this further I deleted by subspecies ID and added a species level ID instead, which resulted in the Community ID being correctly updated.

Capture2.PNG

Expected behaviour:
Adding a subspecies ID should behave the same as adding a species ID.

Observation:

Thanks
Henry

tony rebelo

Jan 3, 2019, 1:06:04 PM1/3/19
to iNaturalist
Message has been deleted

Charlie Hohn

Jan 27, 2019, 10:36:01 PM1/27/19
to iNaturalist
some people don't want to go to subspecies level especially when subspecies are determined by range and not characters. I don't want anyone to do the latter to my observations, and oftentimes people do. Not a big deal, but annoying.

On Sun, Jan 27, 2019 at 10:03 PM <alexand...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm curious to know why this is the case.  I experienced the same thing today.  Subspecific taxa are important in plants, and I think this is a fix that needs to be made.  Additionally, suggesting subspecific identities to observations that already have species IDs should push the leading community to the subspecies as well.

Charlie Hohn
Montpelier, Vermont

alexand...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2019, 10:39:51 PM1/27/19