not all observations on map

Russell P

Jan 31, 2019, 10:56:30 PM1/31/19
to iNaturalist
I'm hoping someone knows why only two of these three research grade observations are showing up as dots on the map:

Am I doing something wrong?

Scott Loarie

Jan 31, 2019, 11:16:00 PM1/31/19
to inatu...@googlegroups.com
The maps currently only show points with accuracy circles ~30km in
radius. The obs thats not showing up as a point has an accuracy circle
radius ~53km https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/19677938
we call this property of displaying as a point as 'mappable' and
currently the mappable criteria are:
1) having coordinates
2) coordinates not flagged as inaccurate
3) accuracy circle ~< 30km (threshold in degrees which vary over the
globe so the exact km vary slightly)
4) not flagged as evidence of organism = no
5) not flagged as inappropriate
6) if the user opts out of the community ID, their ID isn't maverick
to (ie not a descendant or ancestor of the community ID)

the idea behind the mappable property is to avoid displaying points
that have location issues on the maps
> --

Scott R. Loarie, Ph.D.
Co-director, iNaturalist.org
California Academy of Sciences
55 Music Concourse Dr
San Francisco, CA 94118

Charlie Hohn

Jan 31, 2019, 11:17:33 PM1/31/19
to iNaturalist
I didn't realize this was back/still on! I was so disappointed when it was turned off. But yeah, maybe that user can re-map with better precision
============================
Charlie Hohn
Montpelier, Vermont

robert archer

Feb 1, 2019, 2:15:45 AM2/1/19
to iNaturalist
The issue is that the observation is research grade. Unless I click on the detail the user have no idea the accuracy is insufficient. Perhaps the locality can be flagged automatically. Or display a warning that the point will not be displayed.

Mark Tutty

Feb 1, 2019, 2:29:03 AM2/1/19
to inatu...@googlegroups.com

A better option would be a toggle to include/exclude such observations on the map, defaulting to exclusion. Otherwise you will get a lot of observations that have fudged locations just to get them included in maps.

cheers
Mark Tutty
kiwif...@gmail.com

Richard Jacob

Feb 1, 2019, 12:33:58 PM2/1/19
to iNaturalist
Note that I have manually edited the accuracy of the observation by "Lostculture" so it should now be on the map and I have filed a bug report related to the issue in a separate message.