Time Zone Table?

Tom Lake

Jul 2, 2019, 4:57:19 AM7/2/19
to IMSAI 8080esp
Is the time zone code table ready yet? I'd like to change the time to my local time.

Tom L

TheHighNibble

Jul 2, 2019, 5:09:24 AM7/2/19
to IMSAI 8080esp
I was hoping that keen members of the community would post their TZ strings and all I'd have to do would be to cut-n-paste them into the aforementioned table. :-)

It wont actually effect the operation of your IMSAI 8080 unless you try to use the undocumented RTC I put in the I/O space without telling anyone. Shhhhhh! Its a secret just between you and I (getting sleep deprived again I think).

John Kennedy

Jul 2, 2019, 10:57:41 AM7/2/19
to IMSAI 8080esp
I briefly googled at the time, but I couldn't find the format. What's it called, and I can list a few.

TheHighNibble

Jul 3, 2019, 7:48:55 AM7/3/19
to IMSAI 8080esp
Notes on setting the TZ variable in the Boot.conf file have been added at

Ted Kekatos

Jul 6, 2019, 10:13:37 PM7/6/19
to IMSAI 8080esp
Found this article...   Hope this helps..

Tom Lake

Jul 7, 2019, 2:49:06 AM7/7/19
to IMSAI 8080esp
Yes, it helps. Thanks! I found another site that had the string I should use but no explanations. The site you gave is very clear as to what each parameter does.

Tom L

ShadowTron Blog

Jul 10, 2019, 8:19:25 PM7/10/19
to IMSAI 8080esp
For PST Daylight savings time I'm using

TZ=PST8PDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0

Tom Lake

Jul 10, 2019, 9:45:44 PM7/10/19
to IMSAI 8080esp
So you are in the Pacific Standard Time Zone and Pacific Daylight Time starts on the second Sunday in March at 2 AM and ends on the first Sunday in November at 2 AM. Is that correct? If so then I understand the format.

Tom L

John Mann

Jul 10, 2019, 10:23:35 PM7/10/19
to Tom Lake, IMSAI 8080esp
Hi,

There is a typo in the string used in
TZ=AEST-10AEDT,M10.1.0,M4.1.0
---

Googling for the corrected string turns up e.g. https://www.di-mgt.com.au/src/wclocktz.ini
---

; This file contains POSIX 1003.1 section 8 TZ strings

; used by wclock.exe <www.di-mgt.com.au/wclock/>

[Version]

Number=1630

Date=2017-08-28T07:37Z

; Eastern states of Australia changed in 2008

[Australia/Sydney]

TZ=AEST-10AEDT-11,M10.1.0,M4.1.0

[Australia/Adelaide]

TZ=ACST-9:30ACDT,M10.1.0,M4.1.0

[Australia/Hobart]

TZ=AEST-10AEDT-11,M10.1.0,M4.1.0

[Australia/Brisbane]

TZ=EST-10

---

This file lists 64x Location and TZ strings.

Thanks,
    John

TheHighNibble

Jul 10, 2019, 11:27:45 PM7/10/19
to IMSAI 8080esp
Googling for the corrected string turns up e.g. https://www.di-mgt.com.au/src/wclocktz.ini

Great find. I've been wanting a list like that, but Google wasn't revealing anything from my searches.

There is a typo in the string used in
https://thehighnibble.com/imsai8080/configure/#boot-conf-file
Should s/ADST/AEDT/ to make it
---
TZ=AEST-10AEDT,M10.1.0,M4.1.0
---

Agreed, I've used the wrong abbreviation for Daylight Savings Time (DST) in Australia, known as Australian Eastern Daylight Time (AEDT).
This will have no impact to the correct functionality of the software as the abbreviation is ignored from what I can tell.
And no one can currently use the real time clock because they don't know it's there. Only you and I :-)

I will, however, fix this in the next release.

P.S. The TZ string is not responsible for formatting the date shown in the SYS: device in the Desktop UI. The ESP32 simply passes up UTC time and the browser formats it to local time based youur O/S time settings, presumably.

John Kennedy

Jul 11, 2019, 3:48:13 PM7/11/19
to IMSAI 8080esp
Looking forward to the secret of the RTC being revealed so I can make a giant clock for my office with blue-and-red toggle switches
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to imsai8...@googlegroups.com.