Bodleian IIIF Updates

Andrew Hankinson

Sep 10, 2018, 1:16:28 PM9/10/18
to IIIF Discuss
Hello everyone,

Digital Bodleian received a major upgrade last week, and we have three exciting new developments to share with the IIIF community.

1. The first new feature is that we are now publishing IIIF Presentation API v3 manifests across the board. As IIIFv3 is not yet released this should be regarded as a 'preview' feature, with minor changes possible to evolve with the spec. However, all URIs will remain the same across both v2 and v3 manifests, and v2 manifests will still be the default for the forseeable future.
 [1] The v3 API is available for all IIIF Presentation API objects (Manifests, Canvases, etc. with the temporary exception of Ranges, which we are currently working to address).

We have documented our IIIF Presentation API [2] on our new Developer site, available at:

https://digital.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/developer/

2. The second new feature is that we are delivering Tables of Contents in our IIIF Manifests (a.k.a. "structures"). Mirador and Universal Viewer will now display an index for our sources, when we have this data available. See, for example:

https://iiif.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/iiif/viewer/3e847457-c129-4c3f-b67b-138573afb1de
https://iiif.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/iiif/mirador/eb45e6ee-395d-4da1-8337-d8bfdde72ae9

The metadata we deliver through our manifests have also received lots of attention, and our users should see more of the catalogue information published in both the top-level and at the individual canvas level.

3. Finally, as part of our modernization efforts we have migrated all content from our venerable Luna site. This has added over 30,000 images and 3,300 new records to Digital Bodleian and, by extension, available through our IIIF services.

If you have URLs from the old Luna site we have endeavoured to make links continue to resolve to their new home in Digital Bodleian. If you are having difficulty finding things, please get in touch and we will point you in the right direction.

There are lots of other new features, improvements, and bug fixes, but if you spot something that isn't quite right please let us know.

Many thanks,

Andrew Hankinson
(for the Digital Bodleian team)

Twitter: @bdlss

-----
[1] For those interested in seeing our v3 manifests, the following 'Accept' header may be used to negotiate a v3 response on any IIIF ID:

'Accept: application/ld+json;profile=http://iiif.io/presentation/3/context.json'

An example using cURL:

$> curl -H "Accept: application/ld+json;profile=http://iiif.io/api/presentation/3/context.json" https://iiif.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/iiif/manifest/eb45e6ee-395d-4da1-8337-d8bfdde72ae9.json

[2] This is also available as an OpenAPI (a.k.a. Swagger) specification.

Michael Bolton

Sep 14, 2018, 9:50:49 AM9/14/18
to iiif-d...@googlegroups.com
Andrew,

Nice job and kudos to you and your team.  I look forward to previewing the new v3 manifests.  Thanks for the descriptions and links to the content.

I am particularly interested in the work you did with metadata and the table of contents.  Do you have a workflow or automated process to generate the structures for each of your manifests?  I like the TOC and it is proving to be very useful, but putting that together by hand is tedious and time consuming.  The same could be said for the metadata.

Thanks
Michael W. Bolton  |  Assistant Dean, Digital Initiatives
Sterling C. Evans Library  |  Texas A&M University
5000 TAMU  |  College Station, TX  77843-5000

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the IIIF-Discuss Google group. To post to this group, send email to iiif-d...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to iiif-discuss...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/iiif-discuss?hl=en
---

Andrew Hankinson

Sep 14, 2018, 10:08:54 AM9/14/18
to iiif-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

We have a two-part process for assembling our manifests. The first is that we wrote an "indexer" that nightly crawls our data (stored in METS files) and indexes their contents into Solr. The second is that we have a relatively simple "Manifest Server" that generates the manifests on-the-fly (i.e., on request) from the Solr indexes. The same indexes are used for both v2 and v3 manifests.

For generating the metadata and TOCs our digital curators add that to the METS files at the point of accessioning the item into our systems. That is a time-consuming process, but it means that it only has to be done once. We are looking now at integrating the data from our TEI Catalogues [1] to help streamline this process.

Generating the manifests on request means that if we find any bugs or want to make enhancements to our manifests we can do it with a simple code change, rather than needing to re-generate our manifests and store them.

I would be happy to share more information or code with you, if you want a bit more of a peek behind the curtain.

Cheers,
-Andrew

[1] As a side note, if you're interested we're publishing our catalogues as open data on GitHub. For example, the data that drives our Western Medieval catalogue (https://medieval.bodleian.ox.ac.uk) can be found here: https://github.com/bodleian/medieval-mss. At present we are publishing data on GitHub for nine of our catalogues: Western Medieval, Fihrist (Union Catalogue of UK Islamic MSS), Hebrew, Cairo Genizah, Armenian, Georgian, Tibetan, Senmai, and South Asian.

Michael Bolton

Sep 14, 2018, 10:21:25 AM9/14/18
to iiif-d...@googlegroups.com
Andrew,

Thank you for the insight.   We generate simple manifests on the fly using our Fedora repository.  It gives us a very good start; however, we now want more control over the content, such as the metadata and TOC.  We've been brainstorming ideas on how to do this, most of them involving adding metadata into the repository.  The METS approach sounds interesting because we can get a lot more people involved in maintaining the input files.

I would indeed be interesting in seeing the code and learning a little more about your process.  We are looking at doing more work with METS files for other projects, such as our HathiTrust submissions.  If we can leverage that for our other IIIF manifests as well, that would be great.

And I will also be sure to check out your Github site for the catalogues.