Not sure what to do after image server set up...

Andrew Whitesell

May 19, 2015, 1:26:06 PM5/19/15
to iiif-d...@googlegroups.com
I've been trying to implement a small, local IIIF supported image server using the Loris image server. I'm running this on a Centos box (for which I followed the special setup instructions at https://github.com/loris-imageserver/loris/blob/development/doc/redhat-install.md .)

I was able to make it through the setup up process, and when hitting the loris server (for me, it's located at myserver/loris), I'm greeted with the friendly loris welcome screen:

"This is Loris, an image server that implements the IIIF Image API Level 2. See http://iiif.io/api/image/2.0/ for details and https://github.com/loris-imageserver/loris for the source code and implementation details."

So far, so good.

That is until I try to move on to the IIIF's next step of publishing my metadata. I have no idea how to do this. I've tried placing my metadata in diffrent locations on my server where I would think the loris server would be looking (such as /usr/local/share/images (from the conf file), /var/www/loris2 (actual directory containing loris), /var/www/loris (web directory), etc). I keep just getting the error:

Not Found: could not resolve identifier: [Identifier] (404)

I'm banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why it can't resolve the identifier. I assume it's because I haven't placed the metadata in the right spot or in the correct way, but neither loris or IIIF seem to say where and how I'm supposed to do that. If anyone has any experience with this, any pointers would be greatly helpful.

Andrew Whitesell

May 19, 2015, 2:20:32 PM5/19/15
to iiif-d...@googlegroups.com
I should probably note that I have tried using the test images that come with loris, and those all seem to load fine. Any jp2s I provide don't fare as well.

Jon Stroop

May 19, 2015, 2:53:39 PM5/19/15
to iiif-d...@googlegroups.com
Andrew,
Are you trying to work with images or manifests?

Loris implements the the IIIF Image API[1] only. By "metadata" I assume
you mean IIIF manifests, as specified by the IIIF Presentation API[2].
Loris (or any image server implementation, as far as I know) does not
have any functionality related to those. To start working with
manifests, you should be able to simply place them in a web directory on
your HTTPD server and configure a viewer (such as Mirador[3] or the
Universal Viewer[4]) to point at them. If your manifests reference your
Loris server as a service[5], that's where it will come into play.

I hope this makes sense, and that I haven't misunderstood you!
-Jon

1. http://iiif.io/api/image/2.0/
2. http://iiif.io/api/presentation/2.0/
3. http://projectmirador.org/
4. https://github.com/UniversalViewer/universalviewer
5. http://iiif.io/api/presentation/2.0/#image-resources

Andrew Whitesell

May 20, 2015, 10:07:03 AM5/20/15
to iiif-d...@googlegroups.com
I had been trying to work with images, but I got confused and though I needed to upload a manifest for the image server to locate the images. Now I realize the server looks in the conf file for the image location, and I was thinking it was far more complicated than it actually is. Sorry about that, misreading the directions on my part.