Eclipse version

Stefan Elwesthål

Oct 16, 2016, 6:22:49 AM10/16/16
to iDempiere
Hi all,
I'm setting up a new development station for idempiere and as far as I understand it's ok to use JDK8 for this. However, there has been problems with different eclipse versions and buckminster so I just wonder if it's still an issue and if I should stick with Luna?

Regards
Stefan

Hiep Lq

Oct 16, 2016, 8:34:10 AM10/16/16
to Mohemmed Bilal Ilyas
now, stay with luna is best

Lê Quý Hiệp
Email: hie...@hasuvimex.vn
Skype: admin.hasuvimex

Company: Thanh Hoa Fishery Import - Export J.s.c  (HasuvimexDL 47
Add: Lot E, Le Mon Industrial Zone, Thanh Hoa, Vietnam

Heng Sin Low

Oct 17, 2016, 5:26:20 AM10/17/16
to idem...@googlegroups.com
 Eclipse Luna. For Mars and Neon, the project would have to either fix problem with Buckminster ( i.e create a maintenance fork of Buckminster since Buckminster is pretty much a dead project now ) or move to something else ( for e.g, Maven Tycho ).

Heng Sin Low

Oct 19, 2016, 10:17:14 AM10/19/16
to idem...@googlegroups.com
Base on the findings from Hiep Lq at https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/1072840/ , I've created a fork of buckminster 4.5 at https://github.com/hengsin/buckminster and patched the Maven dependencies bug. You can download the archived update site at https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7wEfipD3Xehek9SdEV5VHJOSTQ and use that to update your Eclipse 4.5.2 ( Mars.2 ) instance.

I've not tested the patched plugin with Eclipse 4.6 ( Neon.1 ), would be nice if someone can help testing whether it will work there as well.

Regards,
Low

Stefan Elwesthål

Oct 19, 2016, 10:20:27 AM10/19/16
to idem...@googlegroups.com
Real nice job, will try out as soon as possible, thanks!

Regards
Stefan

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "iDempiere" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/idempiere/CAC%3D6jXGdkg-xwFAQCKVFtd6xucU-N0pght3TEoqe3%2B6%3Drz%2Bt%3Dw%40mail.gmail.com.

Carlos Antonio Ruiz Gomez

Oct 19, 2016, 7:30:46 PM10/19/16
to idem...@googlegroups.com
Hi Heng Sin,

I tested with Eclipse Neon.1a Release (4.6.1) and it worked perfect.

Some things that changed from the wiki instructions:
- The mercurial eclipse 2.2 is now installed from the Eclipse marketplace
- The buckminster 4.5 installed from your provided zip

There was a bug compiling with java8 -> http://bitbucket.org/idempiere/idempiere/commits/5648f2c

Materialization worked
install.app worked
server.product worked

Regards,

Carlos Ruiz

Heng Sin Low

Oct 19, 2016, 11:30:49 PM10/19/16
to idem...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carlos,

If that's working fine, we can create an account for iDempiere at bintray ( https://blog.bintray.com/2014/03/11/hosting-your-eclipse-update-site-p2-on-bintray-com/ ) to host that ( it is free for opensource project ) as a normal p2 update site.

Regards,
Low

Hiep Lq

Oct 20, 2016, 12:21:18 AM10/20/16
to Mohemmed Bilal Ilyas
so great. thanks Hengsin.
sourceforge also can host for P2. it's easy to sync than bintray.
(but nowaday sometime materialize file at sourceforge make timeout and have to do again)

Carlos Antonio Ruiz Gomez

Oct 20, 2016, 7:08:37 AM10/20/16
to idem...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I uploaded the files to sourceforge, so now you can install buckminster 4.5 on eclipse using the update site:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/idempiere/files/binary.file/jarfile/bm-p2/bucky-updates-4.5/

Two things I noticed:

1 - after installed buckminster 4.5 from this version a new update site is added pointing to
http://download.eclipse.org/tools/buckminster/updates-4.5
and it has a new version of buckminster - would that create problems if updated?

2 - the org.zkoss.zk.library folder is not used now - I think Hiep moved zk to be a p2 also in sourceforge - can the folder be deleted?

Regards,

Carlos Ruiz

Hiep Lq

Oct 21, 2016, 1:51:05 PM10/21/16
to Mohemmed Bilal Ilyas
this is my test result:

1. new buckminster + mars
materialize => ok
run install/server.product => ok
invoke action create.produce => ok
everything work perfect.

2. new buckminster + neon (6.1)
materialize => ok
run install/server.product => ok

invoke action create.produce => NG. it can't recognize all feature at targetPlatform/features ever it's materialized.
not sure it by eclipse or buckminster.
it's same when we use buckminster 4.4 for neon. Before i convert all bundle from maven to a p2 repository and also stop at invoke action step.

but it's not big deal for me. i still can use buckminster 4.4 headless to invoke action.

Hiep Lq

Oct 21, 2016, 1:59:58 PM10/21/16
to Mohemmed Bilal Ilyas
On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 6:08 PM, Carlos Antonio Ruiz Gomez <car...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, I uploaded the files to sourceforge, so now you can install buckminster 4.5 on eclipse using the update site:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/idempiere/files/binary.file/jarfile/bm-p2/bucky-updates-4.5/

Two things I noticed:

1 - after installed buckminster 4.5 from this version a new update site is added pointing to
http://download.eclipse.org/tools/buckminster/updates-4.5
and it has a new version of buckminster - would that create problems if updated?

i think just ignore it, because Hengsin package is do well. maybe just by version label when build.

2 - the org.zkoss.zk.library folder is not used now - I think Hiep moved zk to be a p2 also in sourceforge - can the folder be deleted?

i think better keep it for people use old branch.

Carlos Antonio Ruiz Gomez

Oct 21, 2016, 3:59:41 PM10/21/16
to idem...@googlegroups.com
Hiep, for me instructions to create the zip installer worked perfect:
http://wiki.idempiere.org/en/Creating_Installers_from_Eclipse
create.product.zip -> buckminster_linux_gtk_x86_64.properties

generated the file idempiereServer.gtk.linux.x86_64.zip with size 273278261

Hiep Lq

Oct 21, 2016, 8:43:13 PM10/21/16
to Mohemmed Bilal Ilyas
it's magic. you are true, create product zip that perfect run.
i don't try it, because i think it's next step of create produce

other magic, after run create product zip, i run create produce again and it also work like a charm.

I see create product zip have extra step
<property key="buildFileId" value="buckminster.pdetasks" />

maybe it's reason, maybe at it to create product also.

Hiep Lq

Oct 21, 2016, 9:19:37 PM10/21/16
to iDempiere
now i know real solution.
I must close neon and reopen it to success invoke both kind of action.
so i think it's neon issue, neon don't refresh feature folder after materialize.

Heng Sin Low

Oct 21, 2016, 11:26:30 PM10/21/16
to idem...@googlegroups.com
>> 1 - after installed buckminster 4.5 from this version a new update site is added pointing to http://download.eclipse.org/tools/buckminster/updates-4.5
I've fixed that, wrong url in content.jar and artifact.jar.

Also, now that it is hosted at sourceforge, I've remove https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7wEfipD3Xehek9SdEV5VHJOSTQ

Hesham Ahmed

Oct 27, 2016, 7:40:11 AM10/27/16
to iDempiere
Hi Everyone,

Before its too late, may I suggest we move away from Buckminster (as Hengsin has mentioned it is indeed a dead project). It doesn't seem right to me that iDempiere project should now build and maintain its own build tools! The issue is not only Buckminster, its also the dependency on Eclipse. While I understand that Eclipse is the major java IDE, it is not the only java IDE, there is NetBeans and more recently IntelliJ IDEA which is brilliant.

I have been working on migrating iDempiere build to Tycho for a few hours now and here are my notes:
  1. I have managed to successfully migrate org.adempiere.base-feature (along with all its dependent features and plugins) to Maven and Tycho and they build and deploy successfully.
  2. Changes are minimal (till now I had to change one line in MANIFEST.MF of org.adempiere.base plugin). The only major change is moving src to src/main/java which can be done with "hg mv" to preserve history. It can also be avoided completely by using custom maven source folder but I don't recommend that
  3. IMO compilation is more streamlined, and source is more readable (the complex Buckminster RMAP is replaced by simpler Maven dependencies)
I will continue migrating the remaining packages and hopefully will be able to fully build and deploy the server.product within a couple of days unless I face a roadblock.

Let me know WDYT.

Jabbar Ali Soomro

Oct 27, 2016, 12:26:19 PM10/27/16
to idem...@googlegroups.com
This Instruction should be Provided  in IDempiere Wiki Web site other can get benefit

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/idempiere/8068094f-d6c0-413a-b0ed-82abe33de90e%40googlegroups.com.

Shaun Melville

Apr 7, 2017, 3:51:01 AM4/7/17
to iDempiere
Hi Hesham

Did you manage to progress in the iDempiere Maven build?

Shaun

Giri Shankar

Aug 19, 2017, 8:26:25 AM8/19/17
to iDempiere
Hi Hesham.

Any luck in identifying the alternative way to move out of buckminster for materialzation work flow ?

Please update here.

Thanks

GIRISH

Fr Jeremy Krieg

Oct 16, 2017, 3:11:02 AM10/16/17
to iDempiere
Ditto.

I have been trying to do some development in iDempiere. I've done Android development and in the time I have spent trying to get Buckminster and the dependencies working properly I probably could have ported the whole project to Maven or Gradle. I'm happy to have a crack at this but if someone else has already done it, that would be great. In particular, it would be worth considering Gradle because there seems to be a shift away in recent times from Maven to Gradle in projects I've worked on such as Robolectric (a testing framework for Android development), and Google is backing it. If we're going to go to the effort of migrating, might as well skip Maven and go straight to Gradle?

Any thoughts?

Blessings,
-Fr Jeremy Krieg

Hiep Lq

Oct 16, 2017, 6:17:17 AM10/16/17
to Mohemmed Bilal Ilyas

i find out a slide about challenges when use gradle for eclipse rcp project.

almost solution is work-around, so worry we can't keep up to date with gradle when work-around stop support.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/idempiere/c72c6a70-4ab3-44a0-866b-fc8a5e89deab%40googlegroups.com.

Hiep Lq

Oct 27, 2017, 11:09:27 AM10/27/17
to iDempiere

i will start to do this change on next week. welcome any suggest/contribute

David Podhola

Feb 20, 2018, 12:03:38 AM2/20/18
to iDempiere
Wouldn't be also possible to split org.adempiere.base project into (at least) two projects? Something like:
- org.adempire.base.core (sic!) - really just the core without e.g. ChartBuilder, all the Equinox* stuff, callouts, grids, WebDoc etc.
- org.adempire.base.web - the rest of current org.adempire.base project

This would make org.adempire.base.core build-dependent on about 10 JARs only; also it would be much easier to use org.adempire.base.core in tests etc.

I am making some steps in this direction by myself, would be interested if it seams reasonable for you too.

Thanks,

David

P.S.: We use Gradle as of now.

Hiep Lq

Feb 20, 2018, 10:02:27 AM2/20/18
to Mohemmed Bilal Ilyas
organization of bundle need more improve. please provide your patch here

https://idempiere.atlassian.net/browse/IDEMPIERE-3542

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/idempiere/572a3243-425f-4053-9a95-3feefd2ff711%40googlegroups.com.

David Podhola

Feb 22, 2018, 1:14:28 PM2/22/18
to iDempiere
True, but it will be a very long process, I am afraid. It also includes package renaming as split packages are not supported in OSGi by design.
I think we will share where we are when we will have at least former org.adempiere.base working again against a sample small client app and we can discuss if this is the right direction and how to move further.