Allow displaying more than 10 records in detail tabs

Nicolas Micoud

Sep 11, 2018, 3:35:59 AM9/11/18
to iDempiere
Hi,

ATM, the number of records displayed in a detail tab is hardcoded to 10.
See GridView.setDetailPaneMode (DEFAULT_DETAIL_PAGE_SIZE).

It could be useful to display more records (eg, in calendar window, users don't understand why they can't see the 12 periods at once and sometimes try to recreate them :-/

Idea would be to add a new field on Tab: "DetailPageSize".
It would be mandatory (default value = 10).
And administratots would be able to adapt to specific cases (Columns and Fields tabs would be good candidates for me)

Another improvement would be to add a MasterPageSize, but I'm less sure about this one.

WDYT ?

Thanks,

Nicolas

Carlos Antonio Ruiz Gómez

Sep 11, 2018, 9:12:12 AM9/11/18
to iDempiere
Hi Nicolas,

I'm not sure from the user experience point of view if is a good idea that every window can have a different detail size - from technical point of view sounds easy - but from UX point of view can be confusing for users?

I don't know, I don't consider myself a UX expert, but it sounds confusing for me.

However, I think hardcoded values are definitely not good, that 10 value must be replaced by a System Configurator with level Client - like the MasterPageSize you propose is already configurable with MSysConfig.ZK_PAGING_SIZE)

Now, in case you decide to implement it - I think the new field must not be mandatory and it must default to null or zero (meaning not-set) - so you can change the default in one single point.

Regards,

Carlos Ruiz

Nicolas Micoud

Sep 11, 2018, 9:31:10 AM9/11/18
to iDempiere
<nmicoud> Hi CarlosRuiz ; wdyt of https://groups.google.com/forum/?nomobile=true#!topic/idempiere/pdTpRincFNo (I will develop it for my instance, so just to know if it could be integrated in trunk or not) ?
<CarlosRuiz> Hi nmicoud
<CarlosRuiz> answered there
<nmicoud> thanks ; you're right, the new field must not be mandatory.
I'll upload a patch
<nmicoud> i5.1 or i5.1z ?
<CarlosRuiz> don't you think for UX is not good to have different details on each window?
<nmicoud> it depends... for calendar/period we should display all period.
But for order/invoice lines, 10 lines are enough.
<CarlosRuiz> I think also your use case doesn't require that level of detail - is more like a default with a very rare exceptions
<nmicoud> exactly
<CarlosRuiz> so - adding a field for one exception doesn't sound good
<CarlosRuiz> I mean adding a field in every tab - for just one exception
<nmicoud> I agree
<CarlosRuiz> maybe you can write the MSysConfig in a way that you can configure exceptions based on AD_Tab_ID
<CarlosRuiz> so, suppose MSysConfig is 25
<CarlosRuiz> but you want Period tab (AD_Tab_ID=678 - just random number here)
<CarlosRuiz> you could say that MSysConfig can be configured as:
<CarlosRuiz> 25;678:12
<CarlosRuiz> so - the first before the ; is the default
<CarlosRuiz> if there are ; then every ; is ad_Tab_id and the lines for that tab
<CarlosRuiz> I really don't think you want to configure every tab with a different number of lines - that's a exceptional case
<CarlosRuiz> if you set the default in 15 - that can cover everything  :-)
<nmicoud> sounds good !
or 25;672:12;C_CountryGroup:20
<nmicoud> Would allow to write the tabID or tableName (as several tabs can be based on the same table)
<nmicoud> ok, let's do this
thanks for the brainsorming