OpenUI5

Reda Al-Sultan

Jul 21, 2017, 3:20:02 AM7/21/17
to iDempiere
Hi team,

Did any one evaluate using OpenUI5 as User Interface in iDempiere ?

http://openui5.org/

The key future is Code once. Run on any device.

OpenUI5 is a web toolkit for developers to ease and speed up the development of full-blown HTML5 web applications.

Regards,
Reda

redhuan d. oon

Jul 21, 2017, 7:31:10 PM7/21/17
to iDempiere
Thanks for the info. It seems to be open source contribution from SAP.
But what is wrong with our present ZK UI? It has been open source longer and is progressive - it also has the same roadmap. All competing world class apps do converge. Stick to one as they are all complex once you get past the skin. You cannot afford to relearn the pain. Trust me. Been there done that.

Jose Francisco Rodriguez Chavez

Jul 21, 2017, 8:27:15 PM7/21/17
to idempiere
Hi Reda Al-Sultan, it's a excellent framework for implement to iDempiere, iDempiere should be responsive mode for run on any device, I had think in Angular JS as responsive for iDempiere too, but, which is the best framework, OpenUi5 or AngularJS?

Reda Al-Sultan

Jul 23, 2017, 8:44:44 AM7/23/17
to iDempiere

Hi Red and Jose,

Thank you for your reply and clarification.

I had google OpenUi5 or AngularJS and I found a good comparison but OpenUI5 or ZK I could not find a good one.

I trust you Red on your opinion. I think it is worth to explore the comparison to evaluate which one will give a more User Experience (easy of use and rich).

Regards,

Reda

Joseph

Aug 21, 2017, 10:16:13 PM8/21/17
to iDempiere
Hi, all

I like Angular2 more under my level, but React is so hot . Metasfresh use react as well. https://github.com/metasfresh/metasfresh-webui-frontend

Joseph

WilMil

Aug 22, 2017, 5:05:56 AM8/22/17
to iDempiere
If ever ZK would be replaced, it is more natural to adopt Vaadin because it is pure Java.  Swing devs would quickly be productive with it.

But as Red1 said, there is nothing wrong with ZK. It is still alive. It is not just spending much on marketing because it has no giant company behind it.

redhuan d. oon

Aug 22, 2017, 10:44:31 AM8/22/17
to iDempiere
But as Red1 said, there is nothing wrong with ZK.
No, i did not say that. :) I am just asking 'what is wrong with ZK' because i am not an expert in this area and like to know others' opinion.
Our foremost expert (IMHO) on ZK is Hiep Le Quy. Actually i asked that question based on his similar attitude to me some years back when I told him how wonderful UIs are bursting into the scene. His words to me were,
"The new ZK has many new goodies that no one explored yet."

Pedro Rozo

Aug 22, 2017, 11:49:26 AM8/22/17
to iDempiere
Once in a while new people want to compare the current UI approach (zk)  style =  pure java approach (similar to swing style)  with the latest Web frameworks .. and I guess that is good ... but  comparing frameworks with similar capabilities and goals I mean ...

Some of the new frameworks are designed for  Single Page Approach(SPA), very different architecture, focused in JavaScript/Typescript & REST/JSON objects for the server/client communication, most of them coming from mobile initiatives .... so that means full set of new tools .... limited scalability ... and JavaScript all around ....  so I would not compared them with zk ... for me they are targeting more mobile/ hybrid apps with a different market & users  ...it is like comparing apples & oranges .. (no end)

If within future someone want to compare them ,  I would agree to compare Zk, with vaadin, GWT and java centered frameworks to minimize migration impacts, keep scalability , generate java code, keep separation of the Javascript/Typescript ...

Regards.

Pedro R.

David Podhola

Oct 24, 2018, 5:21:13 PM10/24/18
to iDempiere
Hi, we do some iDempiere-compliant (or how to say that) applications and modules in OpenUI5 built on a top of our iDempiere-compatible backend and it works very well as soon as you understand the basics and the concepts (that are completely different to React and Angular). It also looks very nice for business applications.
Why we did not choose ZK? Because we had JavaScript developers available (with previous React and Angular knowledge) so it was natural to just use another JavaScript framework. If there would be Java Swing developers available, Vaadin/ZK would make sense.
However to rewrite the whole iDempire UI would be a huge task and I am totally with you guys it will be very different to do it in JavaScript.

Best,

David