Column with more than 2000 char

Marco Longo

Aug 1, 2016, 5:00:21 AM8/1/16
to iDempiere
Hi comunity ,

probabily i miss something..(i hope) there is a limit on field with more than 2000 char ?
How to solve it ? I tried different column type but without success .
Text
Long Text..
In this case I should need about 4000 chars :-)
After I save the record the text is cut from what is over the 2000 chars...

I would like to extend the Text field on the Mail Template but as i see Text1 , Text 2 .. I'm not sure it is possible ..

Thank you .

Marco

Hiep Lq

Aug 1, 2016, 5:11:06 AM8/1/16
to Mohemmed Bilal Ilyas
seem same my requirement
IDEMPIERE-2778

Lê Quý Hiệp
Email: hie...@hasuvimex.vn
Skype: admin.hasuvimex

Company: Thanh Hoa Fishery Import - Export J.s.c  (HasuvimexDL 47
Add: Lot E, Le Mon Industrial Zone, Thanh Hoa, Vietnam

Marco Longo

Aug 1, 2016, 7:48:39 AM8/1/16
to iDempiere
Hi Hiep,
yes this is the issue
thanks.
marco

Carlos Antonio Ruiz Gómez

Aug 1, 2016, 9:21:02 AM8/1/16
to iDempiere
Hi Marco, just tested and as a workaround you can use String with the length you desire and define the number of lines on field > 1 - that worked for me.

The issue is, unfortunately this is a limit imposed by oracle (amazed how behind is oracle from other databases and looks like they just don't care - identifiers are still limited to 30 chars).

Oracle max length of a string is 2000 or 4000 depending on the type.

Postgresql can manage a lot bigger strings (I think limit is 1GB on the row size).

So, if this is for your plugin and is intended just for postgresql I think you can use the workaround described above, if this is for core, or a plugin intended to work in oracle and postgresql, then you better use Text Long which translates to a CLOB (oracle) / TEXT (postgresql).
I think also CLOB/TEXT has some limitations about searching on these columns (haven't tested), and they must be slower to process for the DB engine, also, saving full history on AD_ChangeLog is not possible, I think is truncated when is bigger than 2000.

Regards,

Carlos Ruiz

Marco Longo

Aug 1, 2016, 3:17:29 PM8/1/16
to iDempiere
Hi Carlos,

thank you for your promptly and perfect reply.
see you soon ;-)
bye

Marco