IDDD meetup Europe

Tom Janssens

Oct 5, 2012, 2:42:41 PM10/5/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

My name is Tom, And I would be willing to help setup an IDDD meeting/conference/??? in februari 2013 in Belgium; anyone else: feel free to join me...

Tom Janssens

Oct 5, 2012, 2:45:07 PM10/5/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
If there is anyone else in Europe interested in organising such an event, feel free to join!

Vaughn Vernon

Oct 5, 2012, 3:00:41 PM10/5/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
Hey All,

We are thinking of Belgium, Budapest, Paris. and somewhere in Poland. This could be a great opportunity to get together. I can teach my full-day Implementing Domain-Driven Design Tutorial and Workshop. Rinat Abdullin has offered to give a detailed presentation on Aggregates with Event Sourcing. Any others have something of interest to present? If so please post the topic.

Rinat suggests Paris in spring. Actually that sounds better than Paris in cold, which I have done. Sorry, but not so fun.

Share your thoughts on this!

Vaughn

PS: Thanks Tom for setting up this group!

Marcin Derylo

Oct 5, 2012, 3:09:30 PM10/5/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
+1 (actually more but that would be cheating) for Poland! I'd be happy if Rinat would come to Poland too :) Will be glad to help with organizational stuff.

@Tom: thanks for creating the group! Great idea!

attilah

Oct 5, 2012, 3:19:24 PM10/5/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

My name is Attila from Budapest, Hungary and I contacted Vaughn about the possibility of his IDDD 1 day course.

If Rinat should join us that should be awesome ;-)

We need to get the details of the course outline. Is it a workshop like, or "just" session and q&a?
Maximum number of attendees you prefer?
Related costs (sharable with other events and non-shareable local costs also)

After session program you like ;-) Vaughn told me he likes Hungarian Paprikash ;-)

Thanks,
Attila

Thomas JASKULA

Oct 5, 2012, 5:02:19 PM10/5/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

I'm Thomas and would like to set up something in Paris. As said Rinat it would be better in spring as the winter in Paris is not very pleasant. DDD community in Paris is growing and there are many people that would be really interested. I'll spread the word.

Thomas

Rinat Abdullin

Oct 6, 2012, 12:46:43 AM10/6/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I'm Rinat, and I'm interested in discussing application of DDD to development (A+ES, testing, CQRS architectures, practical lifehacks etc). Applying DDD to solve problems of rich domains suffering from big data is even more so.

Paris is easy for me. However, it could be fun to visit more distant places like East coast USA, Africa, China or Mars, if travel expenses are covered.

Best,
Rinat

Mathias Verraes

Oct 6, 2012, 1:03:57 AM10/6/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
Hi ,

I'm Mathias from Ghent, Belgium. As I said on twitter, I'll be happy to help Tom in any way I can to set up a Belgian event.

Tom Janssens

Oct 6, 2012, 1:31:01 AM10/6/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
If people would be interested, I could give a session on lean startup/life hacks; but then again: maybe this does not fit very well in the scope or I might be to unexperienced compared to the other sessions...

Soren Mathiasen

Oct 6, 2012, 2:39:33 AM10/6/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'll be glad to arrange an IDDD meeting in Denmark. I talk a little with Vaughn Vernon on twitter about doing something in DK, if Rinat could come too, it would be a block buster event :o)
That way we could cover both DDD and CQRS+ES.

If anyone is interested in helping or participating please let me know.

Tom Janssens

Oct 6, 2012, 3:03:49 AM10/6/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
If all expenses are covered I am willing to join you to Mars as well ;)

Vaughn Vernon

Oct 6, 2012, 10:52:46 AM10/6/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
Mars? Bingo.

So, let me ask this. Would it be reasonable for attendees to pay 100 Euros per day, and we would have a three-day or even four-day class?

Actually my full Implementing DDD Tutorial/Workshop is best taught over 3 days. I can do a lot of it in 1 day, but obviously we can't do as much "Workshop" exercises and "free consulting" on your projects because there is just no time. (In Bogota last week we spent an hour working through one active project and it took an hour out of class time. Even through we kept going until 7pm when some had to leave to catch flights we didn't make it through all of the material I had planned for.) So, saying that my 3-day workshop would normally cost $1800 Euros per person, and I offered it for 300 Euros per person, that seems like a pretty good deal. We could also cap the class at 50 or even 100 students instead of 15 or 20 to spread the cost out.

As a format we could do a total of 3 days, for example, and have Rinat's A+ES woven through my 3 days to break up the material a bit and give students something to chew on. Or I could do 3 days straight throw and Rinat could have all of day 4.

To summarize, we could do 3 days total for 300 Euros or 4 days total for 400 Euros.

What do you think?

Vaughn

Vaughn Vernon

Oct 6, 2012, 11:06:38 AM10/6/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
Also, FYI, I am going to be teaching in Johannesburg South Africa on November 8. Rinat would like to join me there and I am pitching that Rinat do a second day on A+ES. So, if anyone would like to visit South Africa (I promise you it is a stunningly beautiful place and the best of all worlds between first world and third world) you could get a jump on the subject and join us there. After the class you could head for a weekend in Kruger Park Game Reserve or hope around various parts of South Africa for the next week. In fact my wife could give you a month's worth of places to visit ;)

If Africa is not in your future, Europe next year is still likely to happen.

Vaughn

Greg Young

Oct 6, 2012, 11:16:42 AM10/6/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
 I can sort out Vilnius

Krzysztof Ciesielski

Oct 6, 2012, 11:37:14 AM10/6/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Poland

Vaughn Vernon

Oct 6, 2012, 11:45:06 AM10/6/12
to Tomasz Jaskula, id...@googlegroups.com
I think so. I am thinking we could do at least 3 locations: Paris, Budapest, Stockholm/Malmo.

Of course I have no idea what it would cost for a Paris venue. If we have to go haute colture, that price won't work ;)

Vaughn

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Tomasz Jaskula <thoma...@hotmail.fr> wrote:
Vaughn

The price you're talking about will be also valid for Paris course ?

Thomas

Greg Young

Oct 6, 2012, 11:46:10 AM10/6/12
to Vaughn Vernon, Tomasz Jaskula, id...@googlegroups.com
Paris/Malmo are quite expensive. Vilnius and Poland are quite cheap.

--
Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.

Vaughn Vernon

Oct 6, 2012, 11:47:44 AM10/6/12
to Greg Young, Tomasz Jaskula, id...@googlegroups.com
Is April good for Vilnius and Poland?

Hajdrik Attila

Oct 6, 2012, 11:47:42 AM10/6/12
to Greg Young, Vaughn Vernon, Tomasz Jaskula, id...@googlegroups.com
in hungary I try to get some place for free as sponsorship or something similar. :-)

Sent from my iPhone
> --

________________________________

Sent from Exchange Server 2013

Greg Young

Oct 6, 2012, 11:49:13 AM10/6/12
to Vaughn Vernon, Tomasz Jaskula, id...@googlegroups.com
I would probably need to do earlier. As you know I have wedding type
stuff to deal with in feb/mar. We are thinking to go to thailand for a
while (6-8 months) after. Drop me an email off list maybe we can make
something work in the fall

Jeppe Cramon

Oct 6, 2012, 11:57:17 AM10/6/12
to id...@googlegroups.com, Tomasz Jaskula
May I suggest Copenhagen instead of Malmö - as it has twice the population and a lot of tech companies.
As I wrote in an other message, we'd be happy to help set things up in Copenhagen.

/Jeppe

Piotr Buda

Oct 6, 2012, 12:04:30 PM10/6/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Poland and Lublin in particular :) I will of course help out with organization and I would love a 3-4 days course. If Rinat could come that would be icing on the cake :D unless Greg could also come, but that would be Utopia ;)

Jeppe Cramon

Oct 6, 2012, 12:05:57 PM10/6/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
€100 per attendee per day is a very fair price. I'm certain we can get quite a few people to attend in Copenhagen at that price.
Can you give me an estimate on what kind of cost (for your's and Rinat's traveling) we would need to cover for e.g. Copenhagen
(FYI quality hotels are around €100 per person per night in Central Copenhagen)

/Jeppe

Marcin Derylo

Oct 6, 2012, 12:21:37 PM10/6/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
I love the idea. One day is nice but 3-4 days are better. The price's fair and I think we'd find a lot of people here in Poland interested in attending your (and Rinat's) class.

Yves Reynhout

Oct 6, 2012, 1:04:26 PM10/6/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
Count me in ... If timings permit, a North-to-South (or vice versa) European IDDD road show would make sense. It seems a minimum attendee count, region bound attendance fee and cost coverage would be a good barometer for measuring feasability.

Meanwhile the girlfriend is whispering the words "South Africa" in my ear ... we'll see ;-)

Vaughn Vernon

Oct 6, 2012, 9:38:49 PM10/6/12
to Yves Reynhout, id...@googlegroups.com
Let me ask this. For those in Paris, is Copenhagen a pain or a pleasure? Or maybe Belgium instead of Copenhagen, does that work for western Europeans? (I am not showing a preference, just wondering about which is more affordable... maybe those are all basically the same cost.)

Or what if we went to Budapest, Krakow, and Vilnius? Are any of those easy or difficult for you guys in western Europe?

Vaughn

Vaughn Vernon

Oct 6, 2012, 9:49:07 PM10/6/12
to id...@googlegroups.com, Tomasz Jaskula
Thanks, Jeppe. I am happy with Copenhagen. The reason I mentions Malmo with because Patrik is offering to arrange something there. I may consider that a completely different arrangement since it's his thing. But I could probably still do all these locations. I think you and Tom would be great to tagteam on setting up something in Copenhagen or Belgium.

Please see the other part of the thread where I ask about those in western Europe attending in Budapest/Krakow/Vilnius.

I don't want to prevail with my personal preferences. Just wondering how practical it is for you guys to travel a little ways east.

Vaughn

Piotr Wyczesany

Oct 7, 2012, 5:28:09 AM10/7/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

My name is Peter and I would like to help organize some meeting in Kraków/Poland. ;)

So +1 for Poland.

Greets,
Peter

2012/10/7 Vaughn Vernon <vve...@shiftmethod.com>

Piotr Wyczesany
e-mail: wyczesa...@gmail.com
skype: calvo_nbnp
gg: 2102480

Paweł Sroczyński

Oct 7, 2012, 9:00:33 AM10/7/12
to id...@googlegroups.com, Vaughn Vernon, Tomasz Jaskula
I'm glad You say that Greg.
+1 for Poland again.

I hope see you here again so .. se you soon! :-)

Jeppe Cramon

Oct 7, 2012, 9:09:14 AM10/7/12
to id...@googlegroups.com, Yves Reynhout
I'm wondering if a seminar in western Europe (e.g. Paris/Belgium), Easter Europe (e.g. Poland/Vilnius) and Northern Europe (e.g. Copenhagen) would be possible?

/Jeppe

Vaughn Vernon

Oct 7, 2012, 9:26:16 AM10/7/12
to Jeppe Cramon, Hajdrik Attila, id...@googlegroups.com, Yves Reynhout
That all sounds fine.

Attila was actually the first to ask about European #IDDD classes, so I also need to go to Budapest :)

Come to think of it, Szymon Pobiega asked me several months ago to visit Poland, so I feel drawn to honor his kind request :)

Can Russia and Lithuania make it to Krakow easily?

Vaughn

Greg Young

Oct 7, 2012, 10:55:11 AM10/7/12
to Vaughn Vernon, Jeppe Cramon, Hajdrik Attila, id...@googlegroups.com, Yves Reynhout
eurolot direct flight or go the hard way (polish trains)

Szymon Pobiega

Oct 8, 2012, 3:19:30 AM10/8/12
to id...@googlegroups.com, Vaughn Vernon, Jeppe Cramon, Hajdrik Attila, Yves Reynhout
We're going from Krakow to Vilnius by car in November so I don't think there should be any problems in going opposite direction;) For Poles 400 euros for 4 days is a very good price I think. Myself and Piotr W sure can take care of organizing things, right?

Szymon

Marek Marzec

Oct 8, 2012, 3:34:24 AM10/8/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
once again +1 for Poland and Lublin in particular :).
We can help organize the whole stuf....

Damian Blazejewski

Oct 8, 2012, 3:37:21 AM10/8/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Poland.

Jarek Widomski

Oct 8, 2012, 4:01:40 AM10/8/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Poland/Lublin

On Monday, October 8, 2012 9:37:21 AM UTC+2, Damian Blazejewski wrote:
+1 for Poland.

Wojtek

Oct 8, 2012, 4:11:19 AM10/8/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
+1 Poland
Would be awseome to meet in Lublin ;-)

andrzej holubowicz

Oct 8, 2012, 4:37:21 AM10/8/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Poland/Krakow

Andrzej

Tomasz Jaskula

Oct 6, 2012, 11:55:01 AM10/6/12
to Vaughn Vernon, id...@googlegroups.com
;)
If it could be done I was thinking about May. But it's of course up to you to give your suggestions ;)

Thomas

Tomasz Jaskula

Oct 8, 2012, 4:17:33 AM10/8/12
to Vaughn Vernon, Yves Reynhout, id...@googlegroups.com
All depends on how many people would like to do the classes. As far as I know there are some companies that would like to send several of their consultants but if they have to move it's another story.

Tell me what's the minimum number of people ?

Thomas

Tomasz Jaskula

Oct 6, 2012, 11:56:18 AM10/6/12
to Greg Young, Vaughn Vernon, id...@googlegroups.com
Well, the last time I payed a hotel room in Cracovie it was quite comparable to Paris ;)

Tomasz Jaskula

Oct 6, 2012, 11:41:21 AM10/6/12
to Vaughn Vernon, id...@googlegroups.com

Hajdrik Attila

Oct 8, 2012, 4:48:49 AM10/8/12
to Tomasz Jaskula, Vaughn Vernon, Yves Reynhout, id...@googlegroups.com
Yes, minimum number of people is a good question!

I know I asked first about the EU tour, but I have some concerns about the "readiness" of the "market" here :-))

But since Budapest is at a good place from the perspective or travelling. I think that people from the neighbour countries can also come here for the class.

Attila

Sent from my iPhone

Tomas Roos

Oct 8, 2012, 5:39:04 AM10/8/12
to id...@googlegroups.com, Tomasz Jaskula
We can helpout in Sweden, Stockholm.

There a lot of DDD, CQRS, ES going on in Sthlm. I think it would be successful.

Tomas

Den lördagen den 6:e oktober 2012 kl. 17:45:07 UTC+2 skrev Vaughn Vernon:
I think so. I am thinking we could do at least 3 locations: Paris, Budapest, Stockholm/Malmo.

Of course I have no idea what it would cost for a Paris venue. If we have to go haute colture, that price won't work ;)

Vaughn

Radwane

Oct 8, 2012, 8:13:28 AM10/8/12
to id...@googlegroups.com, Tomasz Jaskula
+1 for Paris,

I can help too (My company can provide the venue). Email me if you want discuss for details

Kłopotowski Piotr

Oct 8, 2012, 8:30:54 AM10/8/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Poland and Lublin

Jan Van Ryswyck

Oct 9, 2012, 6:16:17 AM10/9/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Belgium

Szymon Pobiega

Oct 9, 2012, 8:41:11 AM10/9/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
Vaughn, does this price assume your travel expenses are covered by some sponsors we need to find for each event?

Szymon

Vaughn Vernon

Oct 9, 2012, 11:13:27 AM10/9/12
to Szymon Pobiega, id...@googlegroups.com
Thanks all for your input. I think this sounds like the best plan to start with:

1. Belgium/Denmark. I really don't know the distances, but it seems like this works well for Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Netherlands. Tom, you and Thomas, Jeppe and Yves should do the coin toss and see which side it lands on. I take it that Paris could be way too expensive unless we could get corporate sponsorship. I am not sure we'd be discussing topics that would attract most product vendors, however :)

2. Poland. Szymon has experience with Krakow. Let's do that.

3. Hungary, Budapest. I really don't care how small the "market" is there. It's all about DDD and the paprikash, and Attila has the coolest name of any DDDer :)

- Attendees. I don't know, but probably a minimum of 30 or 40 attendees is enough for any one site. I think 50 is easy, and 100 is possible. Say we get 50-100 for Belgium/Denmark and Poland, and only 30 for Budapest. I think that's fine. We can probably even attract some from southern Europe or Germany/Austria to Budapest.

- Greg, you want to do something in any/all of these locations? Should we add a fifth day? What do you want to do? Example: You want to spend 2 or 4 hours talking about Event Store, and other topics? Just say. The only thing is I don't want to do multiple tracks because it would break up the strength of the program.

Vaughn

Vaughn Vernon

Oct 9, 2012, 8:55:04 PM10/9/12
to Szymon Pobiega, id...@googlegroups.com
I discussed the option of Belgium vs Denmark off list with a few others. At this point I think Belgium is a better location for most of central Europe, and I think there are many in France and other countries who would favor this. And it seems that we could keep costs lower.

I certainly have nothing against Denmark. After all, that's where Lego is. But I think the vikings have great boats and can take Belgium by storm. Please bring me one of those metal hats with horns.  Password: Rødgrød med Fløde

Vaughn

Rinat Abdullin

Oct 10, 2012, 1:34:36 AM10/10/12
to Vaughn Vernon, Szymon Pobiega, id...@googlegroups.com
I think, Belgium definitely deserves a visit. I know multiple brave folks from Belgium that simply took a car and drove to France just for the sake of drinking beer together (and bragging about quality of their own beer).

As for the countries that we don't have time to visit during that road-trip - if it works out, we can definitely do another round via another route some time later.

Besides, I think, it is a great thing to encourage development community to visit other neighbouring countries, steal brides and raid beer supplies.

Best,
Rinat

Hajdrik Attila

Oct 10, 2012, 3:29:11 AM10/10/12
to Rinat Abdullin, Vaughn Vernon, Szymon Pobiega, id...@googlegroups.com
Rinat it means, that you will join Vaughn for the Hungarian sessions? :-)))

Søren Mathiasen

Oct 10, 2012, 4:00:35 AM10/10/12
to Vaughn Vernon, Szymon Pobiega, <iddd@googlegroups.com>
It seems like i need to find a place that sells viking helmets and perhaps some mjød (mead). Who said teachers pet !!

Still think we could gather enough people in Copenhagen though, but i like Belgium beer so thats not a bad alternative :o)

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards

SØREN MATHIASEN
MOBIL: +45 4161 5667
E-MAIL: SO...@SCHANTZ.COM

SCHANTZ A/S
KIGKURREN 10
DK-2300 København S
TLF. +45 3332 1984
FAX +45 3332 1919
WWW.SCHANTZ.COM

On Oct 10, 2012, at 2:55 , Vaughn Vernon <vve...@shiftmethod.com>
 wrote:

Yves Reynhout

Oct 10, 2012, 6:23:56 AM10/10/12
to id...@googlegroups.com
Funny how there's no UK folks in here ...

Greg Young

Oct 10, 2012, 6:32:06 AM10/10/12
to Vaughn Vernon, Szymon Pobiega, id...@googlegroups.com
I can do it depends on scheduling

Greg Young

Oct 10, 2012, 6:34:48 AM10/10/12
to Yves Reynhout, id...@googlegroups.com
What would make the most sense would be to do something like ...

London->Paris?->Belgium->Amsterdam->Scandanvia?->Baltics->Poland

or similar. The reason being it allows to amortize costs (especially
for overseas flights). Everything on that list has budget methods of
travel (trains/cheap flights). It makes a huge difference.

I would throw in another place though. Ukraine.

Cheers,

Greg

Tom Janssens

Oct 10, 2012, 8:04:12 AM10/10/12
to id...@googlegroups.com, Yves Reynhout
Greg,

I assume there are only 3 cities as we are trying to "grasp the market" with the first tour ? It does make sense to address more countries if the first one becomes a success.

I also think your contribution would be very much appreciated.

When you were talking about organizing this in the fall, I assume you are talking about fall 2013? I love the idea of visiting more cities, but I am also wondering whether organizing the same event twice a year might be a bit too much, so maybe we might need another subject for the second tour ("Ship stuff" comes to my mind).

Anyway, these are all just random blurbs from the top of my head, feel free to ACK/NACK

Tom

Op woensdag 10 oktober 2012 12:34:49 UTC+2 schreef Greg Young het volgende:
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted