Disorder when importing digital objects

Gregory Bevilaqua

Apr 19, 2017, 2:58:39 PM4/19/17
to AtoM Users
Hello,

When I import digital objects the images are loaded in a disorderly way. Even the files being in alphabetical order, when placed in the Atom are scrambled.

I'm sending the prints to illustrate the mistake.

Grateful.

Dan Gillean

Apr 19, 2017, 6:19:55 PM4/19/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Gregory,

This is interesting. I'm not sure why that is the case. Does it change if you use leading zeros on the file names (e.g. 01.jpg, 02, 03, etc)?

While this is obviously not ideal, note that if your treeview sort is set to Manual, you can always drag and drop in the tree to reorder the descriptions after creation. See:

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Gregory Bevilaqua

Apr 20, 2017, 3:39:28 PM4/20/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Yes, even putting the zero in front of the problem still continues.

Would you have some other method to solve this problem? Well, I need the photos in order.

Gregory Campos Beviláqua

UFC (Universidade Federal do Ceará)
     "Desenvolvimento de Sistemas"
            www.memorial.ufc.br

Telefone:. (85) 9994-1400
Email: gregbe...@gmail.com

Tim Hutchinson

Apr 20, 2017, 11:36:08 PM4/20/17
to AtoM Users
It looks like the order is based on the order each image finishes loading - I tried uploading the same images a few times and got different orders.

One option would be to do a CSV import via the command line, creating child record with digital objects attached. I haven't tested, but I think that would allow you to establish the order you want.

On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 1:39:28 PM UTC-6, Gregory Bevilaqua wrote:
[...]

Dan Gillean

Apr 21, 2017, 9:23:04 AM4/21/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Thanks for testing and sharing this workaround, Tim!

Gregory, the only other workaround I can think of off the top of my head at the moment would be to add the images 1 at a time - not ideal, I know!

For the CSV option you would need to either a) add your images in advance to a directory on the server, if using the digitalObjectPath column, or b) have them accessible via URL on the internet if using the digitalObjectURI column.

Note that in 2.4, the ability to drag nodes to reorder sibling records has been added to the full-width treeview as well. See:

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Dhion C. Hedlund

Apr 22, 2017, 8:36:22 PM4/22/17
to AtoM Users
Hello guys,

Sorry for my English.

At that time I solved the problem.
This solution I do not know if it works in AtoM 2.0. But you can try.

The "Import multiple objects" option creates a description level for each JPG image, and assigns a "title" according to ISAD (G). The ICA-AtoM automatically and randomly inserts this "title", and disorganizes the order of the images.

My idea was to have ICA-AtoM insert the "title" of the description level according to the name of the computer image file. Thus, the images would be sorted alphabetically in the ICA-AtoM.

I have changed the code of only one file, which is responsible for assigning the default value of the "title" of the description levels, of the "Import digital objects" option.

In the file '/icaatom-1.3.0/js/multiFileUpload.js' :

Comment the function that is responsible for renaming:

At line 56, it looks like this:

 /*  function renumerateUploads()
          {
var title = $('input#title').val();

            $('div.multiFileUploadItem:has(input.md5sum)').each(function (i)
             {
               // Calculate new value
              var newValue = replacePlaceHolder(title, i + 1);

               // Replace title value
               $(this).find('input[type=text]').val(newValue);
             });
          } */

Comment line 100, thus:
  // $('input#title').live('keyup', renumerateUploads);

Comment line 122, thus:
   //  renumerateUploads();

Comment line 320, thus:
  // renumerateUploads();

Change line 310, thus:
     '<input type="text" name="files[' + fileId + '][infoObjectTitle]" value="' + upload.name + '" style="width: 250px"/>' +

In the last modification, I inserted the default value '' + upload.name + '', in which it records the name of the computer file in the 'title' field of ICA-AtoM.

You can try on AtoM 2.0.

I hope I have helped.
Regards,
Att.

Dan Gillean

Apr 24, 2017, 10:47:09 AM4/24/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hello!

Thank you so much for sharing this solution!

For reference to the line numbers, here is the 1.3.1 multi-upload JS file:

It appears that the last commits are the same on this file and its version in qa/2.4.x, our current development branch, so it should be the same:

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Dhion C. Hedlund

Apr 27, 2017, 9:14:51 AM4/27/17
to AtoM Users
Hello,

Thank you!

Gregory,

Today I tested on atom 2.4 and got the same result. See the attached chart. Atom inserts the default value of the filename.

You need to leave the "title" field of that empty.
You need to restart Nginx PHP after changing the file "multiupload.js".

To restart, run:

Sudo systemctl restart nginx
Sudo systemctl restart php7.0-fpm

Rename the files in the folder directory as follows:
Process (100) .jpg
Process (101) .jpg
Process (102) .jpg
Process (103) .jpg
Process (104) .jpg

It is a momentary solution that I have found.

Att.
Captura de tela de 2017-04-27 10-05-38.png

Gregory Bevilaqua

May 2, 2017, 3:48:57 PM5/2/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hello
Sorry for my English.

I did exactly what was described and works on parts.
In fact, it assigns the name of the digital object to the name of the photo on the computer, but still remains out of order.

Apparently, the lighter images are loaded, and then the heavier ones. This turned out to be disorganized and cluttered.

Any other solution to this?

Att,

Livre de vírus. www.avast.com.

Gregory Campos Beviláqua

UFC (Universidade Federal do Ceará)
     "Desenvolvimento de Sistemas"
            www.memorial.ufc.br

Telefone:. (85) 9994-1400
Email: gregbe...@gmail.com

Dhion C. Hedlund

May 3, 2017, 11:07:14 AM5/3/17
to AtoM Users
Hello Gregory,

The AtoM comes by default with the "manual" option selected.

You need to configure the AtoM to organize by "title" the "tree-view".

Admin >> Settings >> Global >> Sort treeview (information object)

Regards,

Att.

Captura de tela de 2017-05-03 11-54-54.png

Dan Gillean

May 3, 2017, 12:01:18 PM5/3/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Quick note about this:

There is a known issue with the other sort options - if you are missing any of the values used for sorting (e.g. title or identifier) in any of your descriptions, then your treeview will experience issues! We recommend using the manual sort whenever possible - it also gives you the ability to drag sibling records to reorder them as you wish.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Gregory Bevilaqua

May 19, 2017, 9:56:52 AM5/19/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
You're right Dan, I just took the test and a big problem comes up in the tree when we use sort ordering.

But you have two questions to ask, see if you can help me ...

1 - I will insert almost 30 thousand photos in the atom, so it is impossible to manually sort this collection. Was there any other possibility? Could the artefactual develop something or give me guidance on this?

2 - Even if I perform manual sorting, the image carousel is out of order.

Can you help me with some guidelines?

Grateful

Gregory Campos Beviláqua

UFC (Universidade Federal do Ceará)
     "Desenvolvimento de Sistemas"
            www.memorial.ufc.br

Telefone:. (85) 9994-1400
Email: gregbe...@gmail.com

Dan Gillean

May 19, 2017, 12:59:40 PM5/19/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Gregory,

I can ask the developers to point you to the code that handles digital object import, but I think that Dhion has already done so for the multi-file upload.

We have a couple new slide decks that might help you get started with development work - see:

As always, please take some time to look at our Developer resources on the wiki as well. Note that I have just added a new page with some tips and guidance for community developers who wish to submit code back to the public AtoM project:

If instead you are interested in sponsoring work so Artefactual can develop an enhancement to improve the existing functionality and allow better control over sorting and arrangement during digital object import, please feel free to contact me off-list, and we can discuss requirements and prepare an estimate for you.

Kind regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.