AtoM and IIIF

mat...@addisdigital.co.uk

Sep 8, 2016, 7:44:00 AM9/8/16
to AtoM Users
Hi all,

Has anyone tried using AtoM and IIIF together, either by embedding an IIIF server into AtoM to provide in-situ rendering of high-res images or by linking from AtoM descriptions out to a separate IIIF server?

I'd be very interested to know how AtoM can best support very high resolution images (TIFF or JPEG2000) and IIIF seems like one way to do this.

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

Mathieu Deschaine

Sep 8, 2016, 1:17:07 PM9/8/16
to AtoM Users, mat...@addisdigital.co.uk
I'd also be very interested in whether anyone has done some experimenting with this.

-Matt

Dan Gillean

Sep 8, 2016, 1:21:23 PM9/8/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Matthew,

Thanks for posting! To my knowledge, this kind of integration with the IIIF Image Server has not yet been tried - but perhaps there's someone in the community who has attempted this and can share their experiences, and/or the code involved?

In terms of the growth of the AtoM project, this kind of integration is something we at Artefactual would very much like to see, and which has been brought up as an interest by members of our community many times previously. We have long been looking for development partners to help us integrate a compound digital object viewer into AtoM, so you could browse the pages of a book, different views of an object, or a collection of documents seamlessly at the object level.

We have also looked at, and liked very much, the Diva.js viewer, and the Internet Archive BookReader - these seem like good possible candidates for direct incorporation into AtoM.  Our developers have briefly assessed both viewers and believe that integration would be possible with either - glancing at the license on the IIPImage project, I think it would also be a compatible option and one worth exploring.

We look forward to hearing about community attempts at integration, and we welcome pull requests - we maintain some developer resources on our wiki here:

Our developers would also be happy to offer basic guidance via this user forum to anyone undertaking this kind of development, especially if they are intending to share the work with the public project.

For Artefactual to be able to take on such integration work, we would require a development sponsor. You can read more about our approach to the development and maintenance of the AtoM project on our wiki, here:

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Glen Robson

Sep 9, 2016, 12:47:42 PM9/9/16
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan and Matthew,

We have a number of archival descriptions which link to our IIIF images and manifests presented through the Universal Viewer (https://github.com/UniversalViewer/universalviewer). We would be interested if there was a way of embedding the Universal Viewer within AtoM so users can see the digital assets without navigating to a different site. Examples of these links include:

which contains a link to our website with the Universal Viewer embedded and also:

which contains a link to our standalone viewer.

Thanks

Glen
Head of Systems
National Library of Wales

Dan Gillean

Sep 9, 2016, 12:52:28 PM9/9/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Glen,

Thanks for sharing! I haven't seen the Universal Viewer before, but it's really nice, and would make a great viewer to integrate directly with AtoM in the future.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.