Re: [atom-users] Unable to open PDO connection

Gerhard Gonter

Sep 3, 2018, 12:13:33 PM9/3/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 3:35 PM <j.kur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Unable to open PDO connection [wrapped: SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] Es konnte keine Verbindung hergestellt werden, da der Zielcomputer die Verbindung verweigerte. ]

Do you understand german? The message says, that the remote computer
refuses the connection. Are you sure that the MySQL port is open on
your database server? You may be able to test this with "telnet
mysql.example.org 3306". Or check the connectivity with the MySQL
command line client.

regards, GG

Dan Gillean

Sep 4, 2018, 3:54:14 PM9/4/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Joe,

Though some users have successfully installed AtoM using WAMP or XAMPP, we now provide the AtoM Vagrant box as a much easier way to create a local installation on a personal computer for testing or development. Please note that this is not for production use - it is not considered durable for long-term persistence, nor is is scaled for production-level use. If you are just trying to get a sense of AtoM, however, this is a great way to proceed, where you won't have to try to configure things yourself from scratch.

Setting up Vagrant - General

If you’re not very comfortable with the command line, we’ve created a Command Line 101 slidedeck to help get you oriented.

There’s a helpful slide deck full of instructions for setting up your AtoM instance here. We would like everyone to try to get to slide 16 - this is the point where you have a working AtoM instance.However, if you get stuck, know that Artefactual team members will be on-hand in the Vagrant session at Camp to help you along. For Windows users, Microsoft makes it unfortunately a bit harder to set up virtual environments, so please see the Windows troubleshooting suggestions section below I will include below in this post, before proceeding with installation and set up.

If you’re comfortable with the command line, you can also use the much shorter AtoM docs to get your AtoM instance up and running. See:
Windows users  - tips on troubleshooting Vagrant

There may be some additional steps that Windows users need to perform to get Vagrant working properly. Below are some suggestions:

1) Go into your BIOS settings at boot and enable virtualization

We want to ensure that VT-x is enabled in computers with Intel chips, and to do so, we need to go into the computer’s set up options. These settings can generally be accessed during the computer’s boot up - there should be an option on the screen to enter set-up mode, or access the the BIOS, etc - often it is a matter of pressing F1, F2, or ESC during boot. Unfortunately, these things are manufacturer dependent, so it will be a bit different for everyone, depending on your computer. The following page provides a good overview of how to do this on your computer:
NOTE: If you are using Avast as your computer’s antivirus, we’ve heard that you may also need to disable "Enable hardware-assisted virtualization" in Avast, under: Settings > Troubleshooting.

Please remember to restart your computer after making any BIOS changes, and after making changes to Avast.

2) Disable and/or uninstall Hyper-V

Hyper-V is Microsoft’s custom virtualization tool. It includes the underlying platform and services and a graphical Hyper-V Manager tool for creating, managing, and using virtual machines. Unfortunately, it is unique to Microsoft, and doesn’t work well with other virtualization tools - in fact, it can prevent Virtualbox from running properly. Hyper-V is included in Windows 10 Professional by default, but it may still be present in other Windows releases - if you are having issues, you should check if it is present and disable it.

The How To Geek article above also includes a section on how to disable Hyper-V. Additionally, the following link also shows you first how to disable Hyper-V in Windows 10:
3) Uninstalling and re-installing Vagrant and Virtualbox

In some cases, if these settings were interfering with the Vagrant set up process, or if you find yourself getting “error code: 1” when trying to launch the AtoM Vagrant box, you might need to start fresh. Use the Windows Programs and Features in the Control Panel to completely uninstall Virtualbox and Vagrant, and then reinstall them cleanly after performing a full systems reboot to see if that resolves the issue.

If you want to continue trying with XAMPP

From previous posts, I think part of the issue is that not all the required PHP extensions are installed in XAMPP by default, and some may not even be available. You'll need to look into this more.

You can also find some useful tips by searching in the forum for WAMP or XAMPP. We've also started adding tags to make posts easier to find - here are posts currently tagged with "Windows" - some of them will have useful debugging suggestions to try for setting up AtoM on XAMPP. Please remember when seeking assistance to always try searching the user forum for suggestions first :)

We haven't been able to tag all previous messages, but over time, searching by tags will become more and more useful. More information on tags in the AtoM User Forum here:

Finally, you can also try searching for previous posts that include the error message you've encountered, to understand what exactly the error means and how one usually resolves it in a production environment. See for example:

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056