Hungarian translation and sf_culture

György Regele

Apr 10, 2015, 5:02:55 AM4/10/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I installed Atom 2.1.2 and it works well with default settings. After that I add Hungarian language in settings menu. It looks it installed it successfully, but it doesn't work. And the problem is, the Hungarian culture code is hu_HU, but after changing language, the sf_culture option in the URL is only hu. In the database the translation codes are correct (hu_HU), that's why they not worked. In the i18n directory there is also a hu_HU named folder. When I change the code in the URL manually, the translation works fine, but the links not. I wonder how can I change somehow the sf_culture code, or where are these country codes stored?

Thanks,
György

Dan Gillean

Apr 10, 2015, 1:34:20 PM4/10/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi György,

Thanks for posting. One small point: did you remember to rebuild the search index after adding Hungarian via the settings? From AtoM's root directory, enter the following in the terminal:
  • php symfony search:populate

Also, note that in Transifex, where we maintain our translation files (which have been generously provided by our community of volunteer translators), I've noticed that while AtoM 2.2 Hungarian has 97% of the interface translated, in 2.1 this is only about 35%. We have not yet packaged the 2.2 release, but we hope to in the next month or so, so now is a great time to translate any remaining strings!

I did try testing this locally, and encountered some issues - though exactly the same ones you report. After adding Hungarian via Admin > Settings  > i18n languages and then rebuilding the search index, I noticed that switching to Hungarian would not bring up the translation bar, the same way that switching to French will, for example. The setting would also not stay when I switched pages. I tried manually changing the URL as you suggest, but I saw little difference - in both cases, the only translated string I could easily find browsing through the interface was in the Language facet - English appeared as "angol" instead - but this worked whether I used "hu" or "hu_HU".

Either way, you are right, it appears that there is some kind of issue going on here. I will speak to our developers, and hopefully we can resolve this in time for the 2.2 release.

More soon,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Product Manager / Systems Analyst,
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

György Regele

Apr 10, 2015, 1:54:48 PM4/10/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Thanks for the fast reply. Yes, I rebuild the search index and clear the cache every time. As I noticed, the translation of the menu points and some strings are stored in the MySQL database, and that didn't work either in the default way. After changing the code they did. I installed Brasilian Portugese language, to try, because I noticed that use the same format (pt_BR). But it works well, even in the installed languages list the code is pt_BR.

Best wishes,
György

Dan Gillean

Apr 13, 2015, 4:57:28 PM4/13/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
FYI, I have filed an issue ticket here, and have added your notes there.

Hopefully we can figure out the source of the problem before the 2.2 release.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Product Manager / Systems Analyst,
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Dan Gillean

Jun 29, 2015, 7:59:26 PM6/29/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi György,

Just wanted to let you know that we are packaging the 2.2 release this week. It won't be easy to fix Symfony the framework that AtoM uses and which handles internationalization, to recognize hu_HU, so instead, we have exported the Transifex hu_HU strings, imported them into hu, and closed the hu_HU project. All users should be transferred as well. This way, your translation work in Transifex should be included in the 2.2 release, and should work when you select Hungarian from the language menu.

See the following issue ticket for more details and internal discussion: https://projects.artefactual.com/issues/8273

Regards,