Thumbnails in media slider not showing when one is restricted

Alberto Pereira

Jun 22, 2020, 9:34:55 AM6/22/20
to AtoM Users
Hello all,

does this happen to anyone else? When restricting access to one specific item, for instance, part of a section, the media slider stops showing every thumbnail in the same section, not just the one being restricted. Everywhere else it works fine.

thanks a lot,

cheers

Dan Gillean

Jun 22, 2020, 10:31:05 AM6/22/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Alberto,

Interesting - it sounds like you might have found a bug. I will try to reproduce it locally. How did you restrict access to the thumbnail - via PREMIS rights, or via the Permissions module? If via the Permissions module, which group or user did you modify, and did you add a custom rule for a specific description, or change the group default rule for "view thumbnail" to deny?

Thanks for this report. Once I hear back from you I'll test on my end, and file a bug ticket if needed so we can investigate this in a future release.

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Tatiana Canelhas

Jun 23, 2020, 6:04:40 PM6/23/20
to AtoM Users
Dan, Hi!

If I go to the digital object metadata, and Manage Rights Inheritance, and do the following:
Basis: Copyright
Jurisdiction: brazil
Start: 06/22/2020

And Add a disseminate conditional with the following parameters:
Act: disseminate
Restriction: disallow
Start: 06/22/2020

And then save it, the upper levels of the object can not be seen, the page remains blank (all white).

Is this supposed to happen?

Thanks,
Tatiana Canelhas

Alberto Pereira

Jun 24, 2020, 10:02:17 AM6/24/20
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

thanks for the answer. The restriction was made via the permissions module. I created a new group, and that group had all the permissions denied to a specific item.

thanks again

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 9:34 AM Alberto Pereira <alberto...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello all,

does this happen to anyone else? When restricting access to one specific item, for instance, part of a section, the media slider stops showing every thumbnail in the same section, not just the one being restricted. Everywhere else it works fine.

thanks a lot,

cheers

Dan Gillean

Jun 25, 2020, 4:22:17 PM6/25/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Alberto,

I've reproduced the issue - but I actually got a worse result! a full 500 error when trying to access the related collection-level record. I've filed a bug ticket for this here:
Unfortunately, we have now passed code freeze for our upcoming 2.6 release, but I will try to keep this in mind for 2.6.1. I will say the permissions module in AtoM is known to be full of bugs, and truly requires an overhaul, which is something Artefactual will not be able to take on without development sponsorship. It's possible we can address some of the smaller issues, but if it gets complex, there may be nothing we can do until we are able to update and replace the entire permissions module.

Tatiana, I suspect your issue is related, but I will test further and see what I can uncover.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ica-atom-users/6d1c174e-9534-48bb-b1de-de30452e5988o%40googlegroups.com.

Alberto Pereira

Jun 26, 2020, 11:56:08 AM6/26/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot Dan,

Don't know what approach we'll take but if we try to solve it somehow I'll post any possible solutions here.

Thanks again!