IMPORTANT: AtoM is moving to a new translation service!

Dan Gillean

Jan 29, 2019, 1:53:40 PM1/29/19
to ICA-AtoM Users

Greetings AtoM community!

Artefactual is moving AtoM’s translation project to a new platform! Previously our translations have used Transifex, but going forward, we will now be using Weblate, an open source web-based translation management system supporting continuous translation from multiple sources. You can expect to see our new Weblate-powered translation site available in the next couple of weeks! We’ll post an update here when everything is ready.

Why are we making this move, you ask?

Artefactual was previously able to use Transifex because they offered free plans to open source projects. As of 2018, Transifex changed its policy to limit these free accounts to small projects with 10 collaborators or less - and because AtoM has a vibrant translation community with dozens of translators, we no longer qualify. Weblate is an open source program that we can host and manage ourselves, without any restrictions on the number of collaborators, projects, or languages.

As of now, we are locking the AtoM projects in Transifex. All translated strings currently in Transifex will be migrated to our new Weblate platform. We are just putting the finishing touches on our new self-hosted Weblate instance, but our updated documentation for Weblate is already available on the wiki, with screenshots if you’d like to see what’s in store!

If you have any questions, you can post them to the forum, or send us an email directly at tran...@artefactual.com.

Thank you again for all your assistance in making AtoM a vibrant international project - we hope you will join us on Weblate to continue translating AtoM!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Dan Gillean

Feb 8, 2019, 1:28:59 PM2/8/19
to ICA-AtoM Users

Hello AtoM users,

Our new translation site is ready! We hope you’ll join us. You can browse it here:

To register, you will need a GitHub account - they are free and quick to create. We are looking into adding support for authenticating with other options in the future as well.

If you are already a translator for AtoM, or you would like to become a translator, all you need to do is open https://translations.artefactual.com and click the login button at the top right of the page. This will take you to a GitHub login screen. We have chosen to use GitHub to authenticate users because it is a long-established code repository platform that has existing filters and checks in place to reduce bots, web-crawlers, and spam. Once you have logged in you can begin translating - it’s as simple as that!

We are also introducing a new review process for translations - if you would like to be a reviewer for your languages, please send us an email at tran...@artefactual.com once you’ve registered, so that we can grant you reviewer privileges.

Be sure to read our new documentation for using Weblate, here:

We’ve added an FAQ section to help users orient themselves - let us know if you think something is missing or could be clarified! If you have any questions or feedback, you can post to the forum, or send us an email directly at tran...@artefactual.com.

Finally, we’re looking into setting up a test site, so you will be able to review your translations in context. This will also allow other AtoM users to preview new features being added to our development branch in advance of the next public release. We will post another update here when this is ready!

Thank you again for helping us to make AtoM a truly multi-lingual project. Happy translating!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056