OAI Harvesting icaatom-dspace

Hernán Carvajal

Oct 6, 2013, 7:28:01 PM10/6/13
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We want to share records from ICAAtom to Dspace.The appropiate method/tool to do this, is using the OAI module of ICA-Atom.
¿Is this module functional to a production enviroment?
Our current version of ICA-Atom is 1.3.1

Thanks

Hernán

Dan Gillean

Oct 6, 2013, 8:01:52 PM10/6/13
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hernán,

The short answer:

The OAI module is not currently functioning in ICA-AtoM 1.3.1. However, we hope to offer some fixes for this in upcoming releases (2.0 and 1.4).

The long answer:

The OAI functionality was experimentally introduced early in AtoM's history, and was unfortunately not maintained as the software developed. However, based on interest from our user community, we have recently done some initial work in our upcoming releases to restore OAI exposure in AtoM - please see the following (verified) issues in our bug tracker, Redmine:

There are some remaining issues, and further bug and stress testing that we hope to accomplish, but basic OAI exposure functionality for DC XML has been restored in both our 1.4 and 2.0 development branches. Though the code has been ported over to our 2.x development branch, we have not yet extensively tested the functionality in the new branch (where the biggest architectural change is a move to use Elasticsearch). Additionally, one of the greatest challenge in porting these fixes over to our 2.0.0 release is scalability - we have not yet tested the OAI module sufficiently enough to guarantee its full functionality, but would be very interested in hearing reports from intrepid users.

One recent issue discovered by a community user who is testing functionality in 2.x for us:

We also have a few issues to increase the functionality and usability of our OAI exposure, so it takes better advantage of some of AtoM 2.0's strengths - these issues are currently not sponsored for development, but we hope to include them in the future:

the AtoM team would love to see functionality introduced into AtoM that would allow it to act as an OAI harvester, but at this time, we have not found any community members interested in sponsoring its development. If you and yoru colleague are interested in developing this feature, we would be happy to lend technical advice as we are able to via our User and Developer forums. We'd also love to see the two features listed above get added to AtoM.

If you are intending to do work on the OAI module in AtoM, we strongly recommend working with the 2.x branch. As you may know we are preparing a 1.4 release for ICA-AtoM, but it will be our final major release on the 1.x branch, and we will be actively moving forward with development on the 2.x branch (rebranded simply as AtoM) in the future - 1.x may see minor maintenance releases, but otherwise Artefactual will not be actively developing ICA-AtoM 1.x. The 1.4 release is an unsponsored labor of love - we want to provide our community with a solid, stable release on the 1.x branch (for those institutions whose technical infrastructure or  preferences do not easily facilitate a move to 2.0), but it is an off-the-side-of-the-desk project which we work on as we are able. Consequently, our 2.0.0 release will be available before our 1.4 release - in fact, we are hoping to release 2.0.0 as of the end of tomorrow.

If you are interested in exploring AtoM's OAI capabilities, I suggest upgrading your installation to 2.0.0 when it is released. Note that the upgrading process will be slightly more complex than usual as this release marks a major platform change - also, as the look and feel of AtoM 2.0 is rather different, any custom theming you have done to your installation may no longer work. However, we believe 2.0 marks a promising new direction for AtoM, and we're looking forward to getting new users on board.

We would love to hear feedback from users interested in testing AtoM 2.0.0's OAI capabilities for us as well - as I said, we hope to develop it further, but it is unsponsored work at the moment. We'd love community beta-testers!

ICA-AtoM1.4 has no firm release date at this time. We will continue preparing it as we are able, and hope to release it before the end of the year.

Best,

Dan Gillean
AtoM Product Manager / Systems Analyst,
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056

Hernan Carvajal Briceño

Oct 6, 2013, 8:19:53 PM10/6/13
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dean.

Thanks for your quik and very detailed and useful response.

Where can we download a beta of ICA-Atom 2.0 to test its functionality and features?

Best regards.

Hernán

2013/10/6 Dan Gillean <d...@artefactual.com>

Hernán Carvajal Briceño.
hernan.h...@gmail.com

Dan Gillean

Oct 6, 2013, 9:01:13 PM10/6/13
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hernán,

Our code is always available via our Github repository: https://github.com/artefactual/atom/tree/2.x

However, tomorrow we will be officially releasing our 2.0.0 version of the software - so if you'd prefer to wait for a tarball, you won't have to wait long! We have also begun the process of completely rewriting our user documentation for the 2.0.0 release - this work will not be done at the time of launch (as it is also unsponsored work we are doing as we are able for the benefit of the community), but we have been working to address first the parts of the application that are most changed - for all parts not yet complete, users will be able to refer to our existing ICA-AtoM User Manual as we continue to add to the new documentation.

I will be preparing a release announcement with more details tomorrow before 5pm Pacific Time - so watch this User forum for a post about 2.0.0! You can also watch for news by following @accesstomemory on Twitter.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean
AtoM Product Manager / Systems Analyst,
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056

PATRICIA VIVECA ORTIZ CASTRO

Oct 7, 2013, 7:55:46 AM10/7/13
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Correo enviado utilizando el servicio BlackBerry de Entel

From: Hernan Carvajal Briceño <hernan.h...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 20:19:53 -0400
Subject: Re: [ica-atom-users] OAI Harvesting icaatom-dspace

Ramiro

Mar 27, 2014, 9:20:41 AM3/27/14
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hola:

Estamos testeando la última versión de Atom 2 y dentro de las funcionalidades que nos interesan se encuentra justamente el OAI, revisamos la documentación y la lista, pero solamente encontramos este thread al respecto, por tanto queríamos saber: ¿en qué estado se encuentra esta funcionalidad? ¿Hay alguna institución que use este módulo?

Gracias, saludos,
Ramiro

2013/10/6 Dan Gillean <d...@artefactual.com>

Hernán Carvajal Briceño.
hernan.h...@gmail.com

Dan Gillean

Mar 27, 2014, 12:32:58 PM3/27/14
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ramiro,

The condition is the same as in my first email on this thread. We made some fixes to OAI-PMH exposure in AtoM 2.0.0, but they were unsponsored and untested, so it hasn't been documented as a feature yet. We have about 5 open bugs with the OAI exposure, and 2 feature requests in our issue tracking system. So far no one has sponsored fixes for the open bugs, though we have been recently talking with community members interested in working with OAI-PMH, and we hope that a future release may include further work in this area.

We have a user in the UK who spoke of testing AtoM 2's current OAI functionality, but I have not yet heard reports. I also saw a post on Twitter yesterday about a user in Australia testing the OAI exposure, but have not yet heard any reports.

If you are testing the OAI exposure in AtoM, please help us by reporting any bugs that you find, and/or contributing any code that you develop to fix existing issues!

Best,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS

AtoM Product Manager / Systems Analyst,
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056

Edgar Rodríguez Silva

Mar 28, 2014, 5:33:43 AM3/28/14
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi;

We are working on the OAI-PMH in AtoM 2.0. We are currently testing it, but we can say that we have used a pull request proposed by Tim Hutchinson related to bug #6435,  and it has worked well for us.

Best regards

Dan Gillean

Mar 28, 2014, 11:59:29 AM3/28/14
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Great to hear, thanks for sharing Edgar!

FYI Jesus and I plan to set aside some time this weekend to catch up on the outstanding pull requests. We appreciate the community contributions! Edgar, if you end up addressing any of the other open tickets for OAI-PMH, or if you have news to report back about the results of your testing, please feel free to share!

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
@accesstomemory