Error Connection Timed Out

Goitseone Maleshwane

Aug 17, 2017, 3:19:44 AM8/17/17
to AtoM Users
Good day AtoM users, please assist on this matter; our site has an error that says "connection time out", we cannot connect to the site and the Tera-Term and WinScip applications we are using also says "connection time-out"! From our research we found out it could be a firewall problem and we have disabled the firewall but there is still no change. Please help

Dan Gillean

Aug 17, 2017, 10:24:46 AM8/17/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

If all the applications on your server are timing out, then you may need to increase available system resources. It could also be that you experience a temporay spike in usage, so let's start with the basics.

The first thing I would try would be to restart services and clear your cache.

If you are using Ubuntu 14.04, here are some of the commands to restart services:
  • sudo service php5-fpm restart
  • sudo service nginx restart
  • suo service memcached restart
Note that whether or not you have memcached installed and running may depend on your particular installation configuration.

If you are using Ubuntu 16.04, then these same commands can be run as follows:
  • sudo systemctl restart php7.0-fpm
  • sudo systemctl restart nginx
  • sudo systemctl restart memcached
You should also clear the application cache:
  • php symfony cc
If the site is not running properly still, then I would suggest looking at increasing the available resources - memory and CPU, primarily.

You can also look into increasing the execution limits configured for the site, so that more memory and time is made available before the limits are reached. More information can be found in the following:

Some of these values are set during installation, in the PHP configuration pool you set up here:

Additionally, some of these settings are maintained in the php.ini file found on your server/computer. One thing to double-check is that you are updating the correct php.ini file (it is possible there is more than one - one for your browser settings, and one for the command-line, for example) and the location of these files is not consistent, as it depends on a number of other factors. Here are a couple of links to help you locate the file(s) on your system - you might want to double-check to see if there are other files?

If you do make changes to the PHP configuration poool, or the php.ini default settings, you should restart PHP-FPM after, with the instructions included above.

Let us know if that helps!

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 3:19 AM, Goitseone Maleshwane <malesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Good day AtoM users, please assist on this matter; our site has an error that says "connection time out", we cannot connect to the site and the Tera-Term and WinScip applications we are using also says "connection time-out"! From our research we found out it could be a firewall problem and we have disabled the firewall but there is still no change. Please help

whel...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2018, 12:43:19 PM7/9/18
to AtoM Users
Thanks for all this Dan.

I've finally had some time to go through and have yet to find a solution.
My localhost site is now just a blank white page.

Is there anything you can point me to specifically that I might have missed?

Thanks again.

Ellen

Dan Gillean

Jul 11, 2018, 5:39:05 AM7/11/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Ellen,

I have some first suggestions on things to check for blank white screens here:
However, looking at the original post, I see that other applications (such as  Tera-Term and WinScip) were also affected - this suggests to me that this is not an AtoM-specific issue, but a server (and/or web server) configuration issue. I think your system administrator will have to take a closer look at the installation server, and your web server configuration.

You also mentioned localhost - can you tell me more about your installation environment? Speficially, see the questions here:
Most importanly, I'll need to know if you have followed our recommended installation instructions or not, and what version of AtoM you are trying to use.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.