Integration of external plugins with ica-atom

Hafeez Jamali

Mar 10, 2015, 2:20:46 PM3/10/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Dear ica-atom colleagues,

We are a provincial archive in Pakistan and have installed an instance of ica-atom 2.1 for building our digital repository. I was wondering if it is possible to integrate an an external reader such as the Internet Archive Book Reader https://openlibrary.org/dev/docs/bookreader or a Jquery app to give a page-turning feel to the display of digital materials in ica-atom, particularly bound materials. Has anyone on this forum experimented with something like that or considered doing this.  I will be grateful for your feedback.

Kind Regards.

Hafeez Jamali.
Director, Balochistan Archives.

Dan Gillean

Mar 10, 2015, 2:46:00 PM3/10/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hafeez,

Welcome to the AtoM community and thanks for posting!

We at Artefactual have not yet experimented with this, but adding a compound digital object browser, like the Internet Archive Book Reader, is a feature that we *very much* want to see in AtoM! We have also looked at, and liked very much, the Diva.js viewer - more information here: http://ddmal.github.io/diva.js/. Our developers have briefly assessed both viewers and believe that integration would be possible with either.

If your institution takes on the development of such an integration, please keep us posted - our devs will be happy to offer suggestions and support via the user forum, in the hopes that you will contribute the code back to the community, so we can incorporate it in a future public release. Doing so takes the maintenance burden off your institution, and contributes significantly to the AtoM community! If you don't have the developers to work on such a feature but are interested in sponsoring its development, feel free to contact me off-list and we could discuss requirements with the aim of Artefactual preparing a development quote for you.

If anyone else has already done, or experimented with, such an integration, please let us know! Even if your attempts failed, any lessons learned would be very helpful.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Product Manager / Systems Analyst,
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Hafeez Jamali

Mar 12, 2015, 3:47:35 PM3/12/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

Many thanks for your prompt attention and detailed reply. I think the diva.js app looks very good. I will discuss these options with our developer and let you know about what we will be doing. Of course, we will be happy to share the code and/or any other outputs we get on this forum. In the meanwhile, if any new developments come to your attention, please do share or tag me on the forum.

Regards.

Hafeez.