Rights

L Snider

Jan 5, 2016, 1:55:37 PM1/5/16
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
I am trying to figure out where the setting is to get the Rights Area (Ie: related right info) to show to the public. The City of Vancouver does it here:

I know how to set them up, but they don`t show to anyone but a logged in user.

Thanks

Lisa

Dan Gillean

Jan 5, 2016, 2:02:56 PM1/5/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Lisa,

Because the rights statements are not very user friendly, they are currently by default not visible to public users - it is expected that a more user friendly access statement would be added to the related field in the archival descriptive standard (e.g. access conditions, etc), and/or, if you are using AtoM 2.2+, that the user would see the related access statement when access to a digital object is blocked based on an actionable PREMIS right statement. I believe that in their earliest implementation, the PREMIS rights statements were public, but based on user feedback we received at the time, this was changed in a subsequent version.

However, we know that there are many users who would like to make these statements publicly visible, and we'd like to see this made configurable in the future. I think the best way to do this would be to add the PREMIS rights statements, and perhaps even the individual fields, to the Visible elements area, so that administrators had some control over the display of these fields.

This of course would require development sponsorship for us to be able to implement, or a community pull request.

The City of Vancouver has some custom code to made their PREMIS rights statements publicly visible.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

L Snider

Jan 5, 2016, 2:05:04 PM1/5/16
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

So you can put something into the Notes area. However, will rights always be linked to digital object download?

Ah, that is why theirs is public...

Cheers

Lisa

L Snider

Jan 5, 2016, 2:08:04 PM1/5/16
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Oh and what I meant by that was, if one doesn't provide any download but wants the user to know about restrictions to that digital object, can it be done using PREMIS or do you just have the Notes area?

Thanks

Lisa

Dan Gillean

Jan 5, 2016, 2:18:27 PM1/5/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Lisa,

Sorry, still not sure I fully understand but:
  • You can add PREMIS rights to any record - even those without a digital object
  • Permissions (e.g. access master) do not affect either the ability to add PREMIS, or the ability to see PREMIS as a public user
  • Regardless of how they are added, all PREMIS rights fields are currently only visible to logged in users.

In AtoM 2.2 and 2.3, PREMIS rights can be made "actionable" - e.g. they can be used to restrict access to linked digital objects. When you do this, an administrator can add a public access statement that is shown in the place of the digital object's reference display copy:

More information: https://www.accesstomemory.org/en/docs/2.3/user-manual/add-edit-content/rights/#rights-digital-object

Other than that, using the existing fields ("Restrictions on access" in RAD; "Conditions governing access" in ISAD) to associate a note about access with the description is probably the best workaround.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.