SSL - Atom unreachable

François Vincent

Dec 12, 2017, 12:40:20 PM12/12/17
to AtoM Users
Hi,

I changed the SSL security configuration, so all admin users will go directely to HTTPS version. But unfortunatly HTTPS was not well configured and I cannot enter the admin panel to change back that setting. How can I do that by command line?

Thank you.

François

scol...@artefactual.com

Dec 12, 2017, 1:29:13 PM12/12/17
to AtoM Users
Hi

You can change that from the command line, using mysql commands:

First, you should take a backup for the database. Once that's done,  connect to mysql with:

Then, look for the id of the setting with:

mysql> select name,id from setting where name like '%ssl%';
+-------------------------+----+
| name                      | id  |
+-------------------------+----+
| require_ssl_admin | XX |
+-------------------------+----+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Where XX will be a number. Replace XX with the number, and check that the value is configured with:

mysql> select * from setting_i18n where id=XX;
+-------+---- +---------+
| value | id   | culture |
+-------+---- +----------+
| 1       | XX | en         |
+-------+----+-----------+

if the value shows 0, the setting is not enabled.

And finally, update the database to disable the setting:

mysql> update setting_i18n set value=0 where id=XX;

I hope it helps
/santi

Dan Gillean

Dec 12, 2017, 1:44:57 PM12/12/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi François,

Just to add to Santi's recommendations:

If you have forgotten the database name, user, and pass you used during installation (which you will need to access the MySQL database directly), you can try looking in your installation's config/config.php file. To read the file, you could try the following command from the root AtoM installation directory - if you have followed our recommended installation instructions, this is generally /usr/share/nginx/atom
  • cat config/config.php
This should print the contents of the config file in your terminal.

If you are new to navigating the command-line, the following might be useful:
Some links for backing up the database:
Finally, if you haven't worked with SQL queries before and would prefer to have a graphical user interface, you can try using something such as MySQL Workbench, or PHPMyAdmin - we've previously used both to access AtoM databases.

Let us know how it goes!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

François Vincent

Dec 13, 2017, 10:22:44 AM12/13/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thank both of you for the tips. However I'm unable to make the command work

mysql> select name,id from setting where name like '%ssl%';

I have this error:
ERROR 1146 (42S02): Table 'mysql.setting' doesn't exist

And about phpMyAdmin I started the installation, but I only have two options: Apache and lighttpd (not Nginx), so I abandoned the process.

I'm used to command line, but not mysql command line.

Thank you again,
François

Dan Gillean

Dec 13, 2017, 10:48:47 AM12/13/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi François,

Did you use the name of your AtoM database when you ran the first command with your credentials? One of our system admins thinks you might be trying to access the wrong database. If you're already logged into mysql and want to make sure you are running the command correctly, try:
  • use atom;
...where atom represents the name you gave your AtoM database during installation. This should be listed in the config/config.php file if you're unsure what name was used. Hopefully after that you can retry the command:
  • select * from setting where name like '%ssl%';
Let us know if that helps.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

François Vincent

Dec 13, 2017, 11:04:35 AM12/13/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
It worked ! Great ! Many thanks ! =D

Greetings,
François

Grant Forrest

Dec 10, 2020, 8:19:17 AM12/10/20
to AtoM Users
I had this problem on a dev instance of AtoM 2.5. I copied it from a live instance where require_ssl_admin=1
I don't have SSL set up on my dev instance so when I tried to login I got 'Unable to Connect' in FF.

I followed the instructions, changed setting to 0, confirmed that it was set to 0, no difference.
Cleared my browser cache, cleared symfony cache, deleted cookies, no difference.
Checked there were no funny https redirect rules in .htaccess - there were not.
Finally, switched to /qubit_dev.php (getting desperate now!) and was able to login okay.
The setting was = 0 in the 'settings' in the admin interface.
Logged out, back to /index.php - boom!
Perhaps something about logging in using qubit_dev.php cleared an  internal cache, not sure but it fixed it anyway.
Cheers
Grant

Dan Gillean

Dec 10, 2020, 9:59:07 AM12/10/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Grant,

Thanks for sharing what worked for you! It sounds like there might have been something cached - I believe that using the qubit_dev debugger disables use of the cache (to aid with troubleshooting), so perhaps this helped flush out an outdated cached version - which could have been held by PHP-FPM or Memcached? Anyway, it's strange, but I'm glad you got things working. Thanks again for sharing your solution - hopefully it might help others in the future.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.