Bulk import and export via the user interface coming to AtoM 2.4!

Dan Gillean

Jun 14, 2016, 5:01:13 PM6/14/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Greetings AtoM community!

We have some exciting news to share with you today :)

Thanks to a joint effort on the part of several different organizations and institutions, as well as a generous grant from the Canadian Documentary Heritage Communities Program (DHCP) administered by Library Archives Canada, AtoM will see full bulk import and export via the user interface supported added to the 2.4 release!

The United Nations Archives and Records Management Section (UN ARMS) will be sponsoring the bulk import functionality - this will involve moving AtoM's current import module to use the job scheduler, so it can be performed asynchronously in the background. Some configuration options for managing update imports to existing records will also be included.

Via coordination through the DCHP grant application, the Canadian Council of Archives (CCA) has partnered with a number of other organizations to further sponsor several enhancements to the bulk import module, as well as full support for bulk export of descriptions, authority records, and repository records via the user interface. These organizations include:
  • The Archives Association of British Columbia
  • Council of Nova Scotia Archives
  • Nova Scotia Archives
  • Simon Fraser University Archives and Records Managment
  • University of Saskatchewan University Archives and Special Collections
  • University of Victoria Special Collections and University Archives

The import enhancements will provide greater options for managing updates to existing descriptions. Export functionality will be managed via the Clipboard module (coming in 2.3, see the initial docs here), which means the Clipboard module will also be expanded to include authority records and repository records.

We are very excited about these changes, and would like to thank the various organizations, institutions, and individuals who have worked hard and found a collaborative way to ensure this development was sponsored. This functionality has been long asked for by the broader AtoM community, and should make data managements and migrations much easier, without having to resort to the command line. Similarly, it should allow local AtoM users to better coordinate with regional and national portal sites.

We're still creating all the public tickets, but you can keep an eye on the following link to see everything that is slated for 2.4 so far:

We'll also be updating our Roadmap page in the near future to include all the 2.4 features sponsored so far. AtoM 2.3 should be available in the near future - take a look at the current roadmap page to get a sense of what's coming!

In the meantime, we would like to extend our congratulations to all successful DHCP applicants - you can see a full list of the successful projects here:

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Jenny Mitcham

Jun 15, 2016, 4:24:50 AM6/15/16
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update Dan - this is great news and will be very useful. I'd like to thank all those organisations who have collaborated to make this new development happen.
Cheers,
Jen

Jenny Mitcham
Digital Archivist