Uploading photos creating extra folder

Elizabeth George

Jan 11, 2018, 11:50:06 PM1/11/18
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

When uploading more than 10 Images, atom creates same amount of duplicate folder without images.
I have attached screen shots.

1st attachments with the images uploaded.
2nd attachment show duplicate folder without images (created while uploading).

What should I do for not creating such duplicates / folders.

Thank you very much.

Regards
Elizabeth

Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 2.23.13 pm.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 2.23.45 pm.png

Dan Gillean

Jan 12, 2018, 10:24:27 AM1/12/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Elizabeth,

Interesting. I'll try to reproduce this locally - it's possible you've found a bug. Can you tell me more so I can try to recreate this? Namely:
  • Please remind me of your current AtoM version
  • Ubuntu 14.04 or 16.04? If neither, tell me more about this and other changes you may have made to the recommended installation instructions
  • How were these images added? CSV import? Link one at a time, or using the multi-upload option?
  • Have you tried anything to resolve the issue? E.g. rebuilding the nested set, clearing the cache, re-indexing?
Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Instagram Pinterest Vimeo

This e-mail message may contain confidential or legally privileged information and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s). Any unauthorised disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information herein is prohibited. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error-free as they can be intercepted, amended, or contain viruses. Anyone who communicates with us by e-mail is deemed to have accepted these risks. King's Christian College is not responsible for errors or omissions in this message and denies any responsibility for any damage arising from the use of e-mail. Any opinion and other statement contained in this message and any attachment are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the College.

Elizabeth George

Jan 14, 2018, 5:04:33 PM1/14/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

Thank you very much for replying.

I use 2.1.2 - 110 Application version.
I didn't quite understand about "Ubuntu 14.04 or 16.04? ". Where should I look for that?
I use Multi-upload option.
I have not tried anything to resolve the issue.

Thank you very much.

Elizabeth George | Library Technician
King’s Christian College |Locked Bag 70 Burleigh Post Office QLD 4220
Phone:  07 5587 7600 | Fax: 07 5587 7605 |

Dan Gillean

Jan 15, 2018, 10:59:56 AM1/15/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for the additional information.

First, I want to clarify the functionality of the "Upload digital objects" vs "Link digital object" options, in case this is user error. If I'm explaining something you already know, I apologize in advance! Hopefully the information might still be useful to someone else finding this thread in the User Forum in the future. Bear with me :)

In AtoM, there is a 1:1 relationship between a digital object (e.g. a digital file, like an image, PDF, sound or video file, etc. that you upload), and an information object (a generic word for an archival description in AtoM). This means that only 1 digital object can ever be attached to a description at a time.

We maintain this 1:1 relationship because in the database, we only associate technical metadata with the digital object itself - information such as original filename, size in MB, date uploaded, type of file, etc. All descriptive metadata (such as a title, a description, an extent statement, etc) is always kept with the descriptive record - AKA the information object. All this to say, there is no way to attach 2 or more images to the same description. What you CAN do instead is create lower levels of description - AtoM places no restrictions on how deep a hierarchy you arrange, and the levels of description are maintained in a user-editable taxonomy of terms, so you can edit them, delete ones you don't need, or add new ones as you need. If you need to associate multiple files (say, images) with a single item-level description (let's say photos of different sides of a single physical object), you can create lower-level descriptions below the item, and give them a custom level of description. We include "Part" as an example level of description you can use as a sub-item level (for example, individually scanned pages of a book), but you could create others - for example, you might use "View" if you are showing off images showing different sides of a single physical object.

This 1:1 relationship matters when it comes to the two different options for attaching digital objects.

The first option, "Link digital object," allows you to attach 1 digital object directly to the current description. So if you are viewing a description you've created called "image 01" and you want to attach your image to it, you can use this option, and AtoM will add the digital object directly to your "image 01" description.

The second option, in contrast, allows you to upload multiple digital objects at once. However, because AtoM maintains that 1:1 relationship between a digital object and an information object, when you use this method, you are not actually adding your images to the current description. Instead, think of this method as a shortcut - it does two things at once. It both creates a number of very simple lower-level descriptions (it just gives you the ability to give them a title and a level of description), and then it immediately allows you to attach digital objects to these lower-level descriptions, all in the same screen. You can then navigate to each lower description to supplement it with more information (such as a description, an identifier, an extent statement, etc).

So if you are already viewing your item-level "image 01" description, and then you click the "upload digital objects" button, you are actually creating new descriptions as children of "image 01". If you want them to be siblings (same level) of image 01, then you should do this from the parent description (i.e. Series 01, above).

You can read more about these two options in the documentation, here:
Is it possible that this is what's happening here?

If not, I will include some initial suggestions for further troubleshooting below. I would recommend passing these on to whomever installed your AtoM instance for you, as they involve having command-line access to AtoM.

First - as this is now a fairly old version of AtoM, I strongly suggest talking to your IT team to see if upgrading to the latest stable release (2.4) is an option. It's possible you are encountering an older bug for which there is already a fix. If it's hard to get the internal support from IT staff to upgrade, then you might also want to wait a bit - we are currently working on a 2.4.1 bug fix release. I don't have a release date for this yet (we're doing the work whenever we can between paid client projects), but you can see a list of all bugs we're trying to address for the 2.4.1 release, and their current status, here:
Ubuntu is a Linux distribution, and the operating system on which we recommend AtoM be installed. The person who installed your AtoM instance should be able to tell you about the installation details, and what version was used, but for a 2.1 installation, if you followed our recommended installation instructions, it's probably version 14.04.

Before we dig too deep on this, I would recommend asking your IT to try running a couple maintenance tasks that might resolve the issue. The following slide deck should help you and your IT team better understand the commands I'm going to suggest you try running:

All of the following commands should be run by a system administrator in AtoM's root installation directory. If your team has followed our recommended installation instructions, then this is generally /usr/share/nginx/atom

The first task we'll try is rebuilding the nested set. AtoM uses what's called a nested set model to maintain hierarchical information (such as the order of records as shown in the treeview) in its relational MySQL database. Sometimes this can get corrupted, displaying incorrect information in the treeview. The following task, run from the root AtoM directory, will rebuild the nested set:
I would also recommend your team try clearing the application cache, and repopulating the search index. To help save on memory and speed up the response time, many applications (including AtoM) will use a cache where older copies of a page are stored when they are first accessed, so next time someone requests the same page, they can be loaded faster. If you are experiencing issues, however, then you want to ensure that you are seeing the latest version, and not an older cached copy. The following command will clear AtoM's application cache.
We should also restart PHP-FPM, which has its own cache. The following assumes your application is installed using Ubuntu 14.04  with PHP 5.x- though if your IT team installed AtoM on a different operating system, the command might be different (they should be able to figure out what the correct version is). You can find more information on slide 23 in the deck linked above:
  • sudo service php5-fpm restart
Finally, let's try rebuilding the search index. This is what allows you to browse and search in the AtoM user interface - sometimes the search index can get out of date, which leads to incorrect results being displayed. We can repopulate it from scratch with the following command (covered in slide 11 in the deck linked above):
The last thing you'll want to do, when your team tells you the above is done and you want to see if it's helped, is to make sure that your web browser (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari - whatever you use) is showing you the most recent version of the page. Web browsers also have their own caches to store viewed pages so they can be served to you faster the next time - but if we are testing to see if the maintenance tasks helped, we want to make sure we are seeing a fresh version of the page. Each web browser is a bit different, so you might have to search how to clear your cache. However, on most modern web browsers, hitting CTRL+SHIFT+DELETE on your keyboard should open the option to clear the cache. See also this and this article for further help.

I don't know if this will resolve the issue or not. The above fixes assume that the extra folder you're seeing is an artifact of something messed up, and that restarting things will clear this. If the folder has been actually created, and it's not a result of misunderstanding how the "upload digital objects" option works, then it could be a bug in the application. Hopefully this post will at least help us figure out what's causing this!

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 5:04 PM, Elizabeth George <ege...@kingscollege.qld.edu.au> wrote:
[...]

Elizabeth George

Jan 15, 2018, 4:56:13 PM1/15/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

Thank you very much Dan for detailed explanation.

Regards

Elizabeth

Elizabeth George | Library Technician
King’s Christian College |Locked Bag 70 Burleigh Post Office QLD 4220
Phone:  07 5587 7600 | Fax: 07 5587 7605 |
On 16 January 2018 at 01:59, Dan Gillean <d...@artefactual.com> wrote:
Hi Elizabeth,